Vanity Post- What if You could only have one rifle?

375 H&H . . . Mauser, (early, or FN) Win Mdl-70, CZ, or current Ruger Tropical.
Hand-loaded... the do-all rifle.
(30-06 close #2)

FWIW . . . . both could be loaded/scoped to handle Bunnies to Brownie

Last edited:
Just a thought. Can you put a 30 carbine adapter in a .308 based rifle? Or a .22 long adapter in a 22-250? Just something for rabbits, grouse, small game.

Just download .308 with lighter bullets and even go so far as using ROUNDBALL loads for small game. Its easier than adapters and a second cartridge size.

Hence, I like my .308 Ruger GSR.

Scroll to the last article on this page.
http://guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane2.html

Last edited:
The obvious answer is “T/C Contender Carbine and a sack full o’ barrels” but that’s cheating.

I have my grandfather’s Remington Model 30 Express, with a 6x fixed scope on it. Obviously a hammer but not so obvious are 170g cast going about 1400 fps or little 100 grain plinkers. It’s not terribly accurate but the wood is nice and the action is like a bank vault. Triggers not bad, either.

In terms of caliber, I’d use .30 as it seems to work fine and …

Well, I like my cz .22 also. And shoot the big stuff with a shotgun slug.

If I were you, if you had to pick just one gun, I'd choose a double-barreled shotgun.

Because with this you can hunt anything up to 200 yards away. Moreover, this includes the brown bear. (with the slugs)

I'm a bit of a Prepper... so caliber choice with me is also about ammo available and the need for abundance. In other words, while some wildcats and boutique rounds can be really high performing, ammo availability might be a HUGE issue.

Then there is the consideration of needing a round that can kill a rabbit or squirrel... or a Bull Elk.

I am going to assume that hand loading ammo is an option in this game.

Therefore, I would have to go with the 270 Winchester. Nearly every gun/ammo store/shop had 270 in stock, even when shelves were empty.

As for hand loading......

A small game solution would be a very reduced powder load with the 85 grain bullet, where you would have a subsonic velocity. It would be great for rabbits/squirrels.

A large game solution would be the 170gr Berger Elite Hunter. Loaded properly..... 600 yards 2087 FPS 1644 FPE.

A nice, stainless Tikka with 1-8 barrel would be splendid, topped with a Leopold 4-16x.

A very close second would be a 30-06. Bullets are 110gr - 220gr.

Last edited:
As of now, it would be my 1980 Remington 700BDL LH 7mm Mag. If money was no object, then a nice Sauer 404 takedown in a similar cartridge

Won’t happen as noted above. But…I’ll play, after I clone myself 4 times.

.300 Blackout SBR
.308 DD Semi
.308 DD5
Suppressed M107A1
GAU19 (sooner or later they’ll figure it out so the GAU is the 1 mile standoff engagement.) :D

This is a tricky one--are you asking only one bolt gun for all hunting--or only one bolt gun for "survival?" The latter could be construed to include post-apocalypse two-legged game--in which case I agree with Kilo that an AR-style rifle would be my choice.

The key to the apocalypse isn’t the gun, it’s getting ammunition. There is a lot of .223 and 9mm and .22LR out there right now, but after the Paco-Lips, eventually it will all run out.

I used to have a Savage ML II muzzle loader. Smokeless muzzle loader. Really, you could break open ANY ammunition and use that powder, it didn’t care. You could use sabots, ot patched ball, or probably stuff little pewter cast soldiers down the barrel and stuff will fly out the end. You could chip the tips off of kitchen matches or make your own black powder.

If only we could find 209 primers.

If you shoot shotguns, you feel my pain. Primers are like unicorn teeth right now.

Blaser R8 with the interchangeable barrel system. Easily. Or one of those Savage Impulse rifles, since they use the same locknut barrel system, no?? Could headspace another cartridge with similar rim size in very little time.

Or a 98 CRF action in 308. Or a Tikka T3 in 308.

I will never only have a single gun. But if I had to choose from my current selection, the best overall "gun does it all" would be my AR chambered in 6.5 Grendel.

If I was limited to a bolt or lever action, and again, limited to what is currently in inventory, I would take my Savage 99F which is chambered in .308 Winchester.

Only one rifle?
How un American!!

But if it were to happen...

I agree with WendyJ.
7mm-08AI with bullets in the 120-150gr weights.

Back