Upset Taurus haters

I was a gun room manager for Sportsman's Warehouse for several years, and I sent back more Taurus revolvers for warranty service than everything else we carried, combined. The Judge was the worst. Now, this is undoubtedly influenced greatly by the aforementioned fact that Taurus sells a LOT of lesser priced guns, so...
On the flip side, I think I sent back exactly two Taurus autos - one for a screw the customer buggered up and couldn't get out, and... I don't remember what the other one was.

I've owned other Taurus revolvers in the past, but currently own just one - a 941 .22 mag. Based on my past experience at Sportsman's Warehouse, I'd be very leery of ever buying another Taurus revolver.

I'd steer people away from Taurus. Certainly they don't cost as much, but the transfer bars on their revolvers tend to break. Don't need that to happen in a life or death situation.

If it's all you can afford, it's better than a rock or flipping the bird.

BTW, Selco wrote of an attorney (in former Yugoslavia during its uncivil war) who stole an inoperative machine gun and belts of ammo from a museum in Sarajevo. When threatened, he draped the ammo belts around his chest ala Rambo and carrrying the maching gun, came out and confronted the thieves and scared them off. It couldn't fire, but he could bluff. I don't like the idea of bluffing and want my firearm to go bang each time I pull the trigger.

I own a Taurus 85 snubbie. Although it looks very much like a S&W, it is completely different inside. No rebound slide for instance.
I wonder why they just did not copy S&W's lockwork...the patent has to have run out on S&W's years ago.

Earlier Taurus lockworks were just like S&W. They "modernized" it by getting rid of the rebound slide and replacing it with a strut and coil spring to provide the hammer return. The rebound slide also served as a safety that prevented the hammer from going all the way down. Taurus got around this and the hammer block by going to a transfer bar. Yeah it works, but to me the S&W has a superior lockwork. I'd spend the extra ducats for an American product made by my countrymen. It's not just patriotism but recognition of a superior product.

After dealing with Taurus customer service, I will never own another unless it’s free. And free might be overpriced.

‘Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.’

Last edited:
I tend to find there are two types of commenters, Those that praise, this is the greatest product ever and if you don't own one well then you're an idiot. Then there are those that bash and we all know those responses.

Very rarely do I see a review that is unbiased and points out both the advantages and the short comings of a product. Many need to elaborate more than just praise or bash. Explain why you feel the way you do about a product. A blanket, it's great or it sucks has no merit.

I tend to find there are two types of commenters, Those that praise, this is the greatest product ever and if you don't own one well then you're an idiot. Then there are those that bash and we all know those responses.
Sharing negative experiences is "bashing"?

That sentiment has been repeated multiple times in this thread. The way it comes across is:
"If you don't have anything good to say, then you're just a jerk that needs to shut up."

When you check the reviews of an online product and see:
"Not as advertised. Shipped me a cheaper version and wouldn't allow refund/return."
"Broke after 5 minutes."
"Broke first time I used it."
"Low quality. Bad customer service."
"Missing parts. Doesn't work. Replacement took four months."
"Worked okay for a while. ...Until it caught fire."
...Is that just "bashing" the company?

There's a difference between feedback and "bashing". If you haven't figured that out yet, then your path in life will be wrought with unnecessary difficulty and unfavorable decisions.

Was looking at the 709.... they discontinued it

then I was looking at the 24/7 G2 compact.... they discontinued it

Taurus drives me a little batty on this. As soon as Taurus puts out a pistol and its well vetted developing a good rep..... they discontinue it. I think taurus likes to screw with people.

I have owned 3 Taurus in my life. PT 22, PT 1911, Model 85, 38 special. The 22 I carried when I walked my daughter down the aisle. Her and her husband now own the gun. The 1911 I bought from a buddy when he was having money problems. It was okay and never give me any problems. It just didn't feel right. Traded it straight across for an M&P 45 with a Apex trigger installed. I still have the 38, it sits in the brides night stand. I take it to the range once in awhile and it shoots fine. Taurus is not my first choice but I will take one over a sharp stick.

FannkenMauser, I have no qualms with a negative review as long as it's done objectively. For instance I have a topic going on this forum right now about a Hornady Bullet Feed die that I'm having all sorts of problems with. I have relayed the experience I'm have with this product but at the same time I have never stated I though the part was a pcs. of junk. I even relayed the communication I've had with Hornady about it and they pretty much blew me off. But I'm not about to bad mouth Hornady because of it. Again all I can do is express my experience honestly and objectively and let others decide if they think it's junk. I'm sure there are a good number of people that this die is working perfectly for. It's just not working for me.

So is this "Bashing"? Or an objective review? So yes I agree there is a big difference between Negative Feed back and Bashing.

I've never owned one so I can't bash them.

But there is a reason I never owned one, there are just too many better choices that are much less of a gamble to purchase.

It's like food that is described as "not bad". "It's not bad" is a far cry from "it's delicious" and so I'm going to go with "delicious" even if it costs a little more.

My experience with Taurus rifles his good and bad, the 92 Trapper .45 Colt after replacing the plastic parts and removing the unnecessary and ugly safety on top of the bolt, then stoning the interior parts found it is a great handy and accurate Carbine.
On the dark side the Taurus Lightning .45 Colt was the worst firearm I have ever owned as to malfunctions and inaccuracy. I rarely got more than three rounds to cycle without a stoppage and they are not the easiest to clear. Sent it to Taurus on my dime came back as bad or worse....I took it apart and was able to get it to fire six or eight in a row then traded it back to the shop where I bought it.

There's a difference between feedback and "bashing". If you haven't figured that out yet, then your path in life will be wrought with unnecessary difficulty and unfavorable decisions.
However, like Hi-Point, and Rough Rider, it is quite often that what should have been only feedback becomes bashing. At least with Hi-Point since the very demonstrative "torture tests" on youtube the majority of Hi-Point bashing has all but been debunked.
Maybe Taurus deserves the bashing, maybe not. By my own experience with Taurus, combined with that of close friends and family members, they don't deserve the bashing they get.

Experentially, my two Taurus guns were stinkers. Esp. the PT-22. A revolver was also troublesome and I ditched both.

However, I had a Kahr PM-9 that was trouble. A 442 SW was a pain. A SW 1911Sc had two visits to the repair bit before it ran decently. A Glock 42 was a horror show and had to go back.

A comparative study of out of the box problems with some decent sampling would be interesting if a shooting protocol was equivalent for the guns.

The folks I know with the Taurus 85s and the once a year 50 round square range test, haven't had trouble. Will the gun run for the 5 is enough scenario? Probably.

My Taurus experience has been mixed. I'm a sucker for markdowns, so I have acquired a few Taurus products. My 709 Slim suffered an extractor failure after about 300 rounds, and Taurus took longer than expected to repair the gun. I fired about 100 more rounds through it to make sure it was fixed, but lost faith in it as a carry gun and haven't shot or carried it since.

My Millennium G2 has functioned flawlessly for almost 1000 rounds, and the Model 94 that I picked up to introduce my sons to revolvers has been an absolute workhorse (it's their favorite plinker). The TCP 738 I purchased for my wife has never had an issue, but has probably fired less than 100 total rounds.

Overall, 3 out of 4 of the Taurus products that I have significant experience with have never had an issue. Whether you see these odds as acceptable is up to you.

I'll play along... I've owned Taurus firearms for over 30 years... Had a 4" stainless .357 that was really smooth. It appeared that the barrel was over-tightened a tad, as the front sight was tilted ever so slightly to the left.
Had a model 85 that became my wife's gun... kept it for 20 plus years, until I shot someone else's reloads in it and blew it apart with an apparent double load.
I've had a 24/7 Pro in .45 acp for around 20+ years that has been virtually flawless. It doesn't like the semi-wadcutter style bullets, though.
I recently found a matching 24/7 in 9mm in a lgs that came home with me for $200... still haven't gotten to shoot it yet.
I have a PT111 G2 that I've put about 1200 rounds or so through, with ZERO issues. None. It's a great pistol.
I have a TCP that would lock the slide back in the middle of a magazine, until I filed down the hold-open tab so that it wouldn't get caught on a bullet nose in the magazine and lock the slide. Since that adjustment, it's been flawless through 500+ rounds.

My experience with Taurus has been very positive. My PT111 is my "main" CCW, when weather allows clothing that will conceal it.. an un-tucked shirt works pretty well, and a jacket is perfect.

My smaller CCW is a Sig P938... my first "high-end" pistol. So far, it's been reliable.... but on the Sig forum, there are quite a few complaints about issues with the 938 and others. I have seen more complaints about Sigs from Sig owners than I have about the Taurus PT 111 G2. I really like my Sig at this point, having only owned it for about 5 months... but looking at it another way, I could have bought THREE more PT111's for the price of the Sig.

Which one is better? The high-end Sig that puts out 7 rounds flawlessly, or the Taurus with the proven track record of putting out up to 12 rounds flawlessly, for 1/3 of the price?

I had a 90's vintage 85CH that worked just fine. My brother has bought a handful of 738s because his kids keep taking them. The PT111 G2C gets good reviews and with sub $200 prices, I may have to pick one up.

Taurus quality has varied through different management over the years, but it seems to be improving again.

Which one is better? The high-end Sig that puts out 7 rounds flawlessly, or the Taurus with the proven track record of putting out up to 12 rounds flawlessly, for 1/3 of the price?

Unless your question is intended to be rhetorical, my answer is the SIG.

Quote:

Or like the cliche, but truthful "The 380 in your pocket is better than the 45 you leave at home."

the Taurus with a proven track record you can afford is better than the high end Sig that is still in the case at the gun store where you have been drooling over.
Everyone has the right to self defense. But not everybody can afford a $1000+ gun for it.
To some it may be a Hi-Point. To others a Taurus, Glock, Springfield , S&W etc up the pricing scale. But to those with the deepest pockets, and thickest wallets it's high end guns.

It was somewhat rhetorical... but also a serious question. Everyone has a different definition of "better".. to some, it is based on higher price, and "established" quality, to others, it is a combination of proven quality combined with "best price".

My experience with Taurus has proven to me that #1, NEVER take internet comments at face value, and #2, always be open minded in your quest for a great carry gun.

If you can afford an H&K, or Sig, and like their design and function, it would be difficult to go wrong. But you should also remain open minded about the proven pistols at a lower price point. The Sig P365 is being touted as the new wonder nine... small, sub-compact, and holds 12 ROUNDS! The PT111 G2 has been doing that almost flawlessly for, what, 5 years now? And, it gives you the option of a manual safety, and double strike ability.

Back