Upset Taurus haters

I have a Taurus Millenium PT111 9mm that has been locked in the safe for many, many years, no matter what ammo I fed it, it jammed. Just keeping it for a local liberal buy back program so I can dump it. However, in the states I have lived in, this will probably never happen.

But hard to condemn all their auto weapons just cause one is a POS. Too many out there with no complaints. However, I'll stick to H&K, Berettas, Sigs....just my opinion.

I have a Taurus .44 mag revolver that is usually with me in grizzly country in Northern ID, WY and MT.

I have a Taurus Millenium PT111 9mm that has been locked in the safe for many, many years, no matter what ammo I fed it, it jammed. Just keeping it for a local liberal buy back program so I can dump it.
But even considering the suposede long return time, had you sent it in you would have had a perfectly functioning pistol. Even if was many months
Versus many years of having a poorly functioning gun. I think I would have sent it in.

But even considering the suposede long return time, had you sent it in you would have had a perfectly functioning pistol. Even if was many months
Versus many years of having a poorly functioning gun. I think I would have sent it in.
...Unless the model has been discontinued.
My father went down that road. Bought a revolver. It had problems. Sent it in. Several months later, they told him it was unsafe to return to him and would be destroyed. Much discussion and haggling later, they told him they'd obtain a NOS model from a distributor for him. Several weeks later, the replacement arrived. It was a completely different model, chambered for a different cartridge, with entirely the wrong finish (he bought blued, they sent polished nickel), and Taurus told him to get bent when he complained.

I was in a position for it to be a prospect, as well. I had a Gen I** Millenium PT-138 (first day of production, even). It had problems. I contacted Taurus. They told me that if I sent it in, I wouldn't be getting it back. I'd have to settle for a spot on a waiting list for the "Pro" (Gen IV**) ... which I didn't want*. They wouldn't offer a refund or any other replacement options. It was a "take it or leave it" offer for the "Pro" and that was it.
I chose another option...

*(This was at the time when the PT-138 "Pro" production was suspended, because quality and reliability were terrible. Sure, they suspended production to correct the issues. But I wasn't about to jump from one cesspool to the waiting list for another, simply because it would be a new cesspool.)
**(I consider production iterations to be generations of the PT-138; which don't align with most of the market. The Gen I was only in production for a couple months before it was shut down and retooled for 'Gen II' [due to major reliability issues]. Gen III was the failed first run of the "Pro" [usually called Gen II]. Gen IV was the reintroduced "Pro" [usually called Gen III]. The PT-145 was a similar story. You'd think they'd learn to do it right the first time...)

Owned a Taurus, not reliable. Sold them at a big box store, we got back way to many to send in on warranty. I would still take chance on one of the 9mm snub nose revolvers they made, smaller than a J Frame. The one I shot worked, realize you got about a 50/50 chance of a Taurus working.

I own a Taurus .357mag snubby made mostly from Titanium. I will not buy another Taurus. Too much user modification needed to make them useful. And once you do that, you are in for it money-wise as much as a good S&W, yet still own only a second-rate gun that happens to work.
For what I paid for the Taurus titanium .357mag snubby, I could have gotten a S&W Airweight snubby in .38spl. Should have gotten the S&W. I have since bought a S&W snubby so I know the difference.

I have a stainless 605 357 magnum snubby and I like the thing. I think it being steel and heavier, it is a better choice regardless of the brand. It works fine and the action is very smooth. It might work well because it is used and was made in 2002. My friend has a S&W airweight 642 that he shoots 38 special +P in and according to him, it has a recoil very similar to my 10 ounce heavier steel Taurus. His 642 with a laser grip cost double what my 605 would have cost if it were new.

I’ve had 4 of 7 Taurus handguns require at least one trip back to the factory. I don’t buy the brand anymore based on my experience. No bashing here. Just my experience. If you like em, buy em.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder if people from Taurus in management positions read these forums and say to themselves, we really need to step it up when it comes to warranty work? Or don't they care? I have a feeling that as long as the share holders are making money and not complaining, Taurus management doesn't really care. This is not bashing Taurus. You could insert any company name here, and any product. As long as the share holders are happy, nothing gets changed.

Isn't it great that we all live in a country where we can still have this conversation?

Another great thing about this country is we are all able to buy whatever make and model we want. There is no law stating we have to only buy this one. The two things that are constant on gun forums; Taurus firearms suck, Lee reloading presses suck. It's repeated over and over daily.

Some people hate eating at Burger King, I happen to enjoy it. So if we are out together and need to stop to eat I will gladly drop you at whichever fast food joint you like cause I'm going to either BK or Culver's. Then if you want to "Throw Shade" remember I may or may not return to pick you up when I'm finished.

I have gone to several Taurus forums and one person in particular has really been down on Taurus. Makes statements like" it is life threatening to carry one for self defense" because they are complete junk etc.

So the question begs what is a person who dislikes Taurus doing in a Taurus forum? Generally when I visit a Colt forum they are not slamming Colt, the same is true for any maker forum. I mean, if I have an intent dislike of Taurus (which I don't) why would I be hanging out in a forum devoted to Taurus? That is unless I am an attention seeker of some weird sort.

During the early 90s I did own a Taurus PT92 which is a sort of clone of a Beretta 92. Never had a problem with the gun and it was as likely as reliable and accurate as the Beretta 92 it was a clone of. The same was true of the PT99/PT100. Their revolvers were close clones to many of the S&W revolvers and they worked fine as far as I recall.

I have no clue what their stuff is like today but back then their stuff was OK and boasted a good warranty. Again, if I wanted to bash Taurus I wouldn't go to a Taurus forum to do so for fear I would like a fool or idiot. However, to each their own I guess.

Ron

Their revolvers were close clones to many of the S&W revolvers and they worked fine as far as I recall.
I own a Taurus 85 snubbie. Although it looks very much like a S&W, it is completely different inside. No rebound slide for instance.
I wonder why they just did not copy S&W's lockwork...the patent has to have run out on S&W's years ago.

Yes, the guts are different, I certainly agree.

When choosing a gun to buy not everyone out there has deep pockets. The few Taurus guns I had were guns taken in assorted trades when my wife and I owned a gun shop. My own personal experiences with the few Taurus guns which passed through my life were OK, not great but OK when weighing in the cost. Not everyone out there will save their nickles and dimes to buy a S&W or Colt or other higher quality gun. Then too, thinking about it I have seen no shortage of S&W, Colt or Ruger guns which were factory queens for some poor depressed gun owner. This forum alone has some horror stories. I think we all have read horror stories about guns which should have been great but never measured up. Stuff happens I guess.

Rather than use the work cheap the Taurus guns are inexpensive so for someone with shallow pockets the Taurus guns fill the ticket. During the early 90s I mentioned the City of Cleveland had a rule for armed security guards. They were limited to a revolver not to exceed .38 Special and six shots. The Taurus guns were popular as let's face it armed security guards are not really well paid, even today. I can only speak for Cleveland, Ohio.

I once ended up with a Rohm Revolver in .38 Special which at 7 feet was hard pressed to hit a 9" paper plate so I guess there are worse out there but I guess some were decent revolvers.

Ron

Ron I guess there is a difference between an honest review and discussion than just bashing a product. I to am a member at Taurus Armed and yes I do see some very negative comments on a few of the guns.

Yes I own a PT92C and wouldn't trade it for any other pistol.

Back around 1986 I remember trading guns with a guy. In the trade I rec'd a Taurus 92. Looked like the Beretta 92. I remember how accurate that gun was and reliable. Today's Taurus I have no opinion of and have not owned one since then. The main gunstore where I live will have nothing to do with Taurus.I ask him what was his deal with Taurus. He told me that Taurus makes all these big claims about lifetime warranties. He said he has sold numerous Taurus' in the past and when he tried to help the customer with warranty work, Taurus many times did not honor their word. I ask him for examples and he said the main one he has run across is Taurus stating they don't make that particular gun anymore and don't make parts for it or service it. He said basically their lifetime warranty applies to only their firearms that are presently made.

he said the main one he has run across is Taurus stating they don't make that particular gun anymore and don't make parts for it or service it.
You mean I can't get warrantee service on my Edsel, and Grimlin anymore! Darn, I was just getting ready to take my TRS80 back to Radio Shack for service.
I bet Taurus isn't the only company that can't, not won't provide warrantee service on obsolete, out of production products.
Sounds like an excuse not to sell guns unapproved by the Society of Gun Snobbery!

I wonder if people from Taurus in management positions read these forums and say to themselves, we really need to step it up when it comes to warranty work? Or don't they care? I have a feeling that as long as the share holders are making money and not complaining, Taurus management doesn't really care. This is not bashing Taurus. You could insert any company name here, and any product. As long as the share holders are happy, nothing gets changed.

I suspect you are on to something. It's Taurus' business model to offer firearms at a very low price point, yet have a warranty that seems to be frequently used. This arrangement works for them apparently. I bet they don't care how many warranty returns they have as long as their low-priced guns sell. For every gun owner like us that put 1k or 2k + rounds downrange a year, there are many more that MIGHT fire a box or two per year. Good chance that problems don't pop up as often for the general public. Many of us here appreciate and prefer fine firearms of good quality. Many many more are probably attracted to a lower price point of Taurus, Hi-point, et al. You cannot fully blame them, and at least Taurus and Hi-Point honor their warranties (eventually).

Maybe my relatively good luck with Taurus is due to the models that I chose.

I have a PT99 and PT22 that are basically Beretta designs and made at the Beretta factory that Taurus purchased.

I've owned several versions each of their Model 85 and Model 66 revolvers, which they've been making for decades.

The only newer model Taurus handgun I own is the latest version of the PT111. I think it's called "Generation Two". I bought it because my BiL likes his so much. Mine works well, too. Apparently they've worked the kinks out of that design.

I have no inclination to purchase any of their newer designs.

Cant speak to their autos, though my FIL seems to like his fine, but my .22 Taurus revolver has the distinction of having the single worst double action trigger I've ever tried.

My wife cant even pull it in DA, and shes no weakling. I can barely work it and hit a target.

Single action is quite decent and its accurate enough.

Would I buy another Taurus? No* There are other options at similar prices I'd go with first, such as some of the cheaper Rugers.

* upon further reflection, I might buy a PT92 if the price was good, I do like the frame mounted safety over the 92 FS

Quote:
I have gone to several Taurus forums and one person in particular has really been down on Taurus. Makes statements like" it is life threatening to carry one for self defense" because they are complete junk etc.
So the question begs what is a person who dislikes Taurus doing in a Taurus forum? Generally when I visit a Colt forum they are not slamming Colt, the same is true for any maker forum. I mean, if I have an intent dislike of Taurus (which I don't) why would I be hanging out in a forum devoted to Taurus? That is unless I am an attention seeker of some weird sort

I have been on many different forums (guns, cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc) for many years and the Taurus basher reminds me of others. The bashers usually don't have or never have owned the product they are bashing. They bash the product in an effort to make their chosen different brand look better. The Ford basher usually owns and loves a Chevrolet, etc.

I think the Hi-Point bashers are even worse than the Taurus bashers. The world is full of gun snobs.

That data is near impossible to obtain. Gun makers are very tight lipped about their production numbers.
But with world wide sales of Taurus firearms most likely overshadowing a very large US market it is easy, and I might add reasonable to assume Taurus production vastly out numbers any US gun maker. Most likely overshadows all of them combined.
Took all of 5 minutes to find. While it does not list Taurus world wide sales their U.S. sales are not even close to S&W or Ruger.

Jim
https://www.atf.gov/about/docs/undefined/afmer2016webreport508pdf/download

Back