Unusual Brass Finds of the Week

Maybe not terribly uncommon. In my colection but it will be on the range tomorrow. Anybody know what it is?
photobucket-34954-1361049061390_zpse3d6e076.jpg

Well, technically that's a "German" 8x56R. You can find the exact same round and headstamp, also from 1938, but with an Austrian eagle. The one pictured has the German eagle from just after the Anschluss of 1938.

Did they also load this cartridge in Hungary, seeing as it is called a 8x56 Hungarian. If so what would the head stamp look like?

Ever hear of the Austro-Hungarian Empire?

Until the end of World War I they were part of the political entity. Hungary used the same weapons afterwards.

From what i have read the ammunition was made in Austria in 1938 for their m95's.After they went Nazi with Adolph they started applying his stamp of approval.I don't think the Germans ever produced the ammunition,they just used what was already in place.

Ever hear of the Austro-Hungarian Empire?
Of coarse, its where my family hails from. Still separate countries with separate armories and production. M95's were made in Steyr Austria and Budapest Hungary. I dont know if ammo was produced in Hungary also or just Austria.

"Still separate countries with separate armories and production."

The point is that they weren't until 1919.

Hungary wasn't created out of the old A-H empire and didn't fall into existence with brand new firearms for its military, in a new chambering.

They used what they had access to, and what they had access to in 1919 were MILLIONS of Steyr straight pull rifles left over from the Empire.

Even well into the 1930s, during the depression, there wasn't a huge amount of money to be had for rearming, so the old 8x50R rifles from the empire stuck around.

Austria and Hungary maintained close ties in the 1930s, and both adopted, and manufactured, the 8x56R round that was developed in Austria by Slothurn.

@Mike Irwin- I may not be asking the question correctly. Without getting into a history debate that I would probably loose. Did they produce ammo with a diferent headstamp in Budapest as well as Steyr? The rifles were produced in both places.

Yes, the ammo was produced in both Austria and Hungary. When I get my collection unpacked I will try to remember to post a few headstamps.

OH!

My apologies. I gave my brain a long weekend off...

In answer to your question, yes. The Hungarians manufactured both the earlier 8x50R and the 8x56R rounds at Csepel Arsenal located near Budapest. They may have manufactured it elsewhere, also.

The headstamp for ammo manufactured at Csepel is an intertwined AH in the 12 o'clock position and a year in the 6 o'clock position.

Guys thanks a million for the info. If you saw my other post with the Steyr M95 you wll notice I am trying to get the complete hungarian manufactured setup. Knowing to look for the AH headstamp will be very helpful.
photobucket-43532-1361110021340_zps81ee8503.jpg

These are the clips I have. I believe the one on Left is the AH and the one on the right appears to be the Hungarian coat of arms. Middle is CR possible GR. I also have a few with the Eagle and Swastika stamp.

Last edited:
Thanks jonnyc!

You have 7.5mm French MAS case there, made by Syria in 1957.

Thanks for the information. I have yet to see a 7.5mm French MAS in my neck of the woods and likewise any more empty 7.5 cartridges.

Can't find a listing of headstamp

At the local indoor range, I picked up what appears and measures to be a 9mm Luger cartridge, with headstamp of WCCII (or CCIWI or possibly other iterations). Any ideas?

Found a whole pile of inside primed .45 Colt in an area downhill from Jerome, AZ that had been smashed and then burned (hence the pile). The "story" is that U.S. Army troops (probably from nearby Fort Verde) were instructed to do this to their fired brass to prevent the local Apaches from reloading and reusing it. Unfortunately, no legible headstamps. (Don't know if the "story" is true or not.)

Back