Unsafe Trigger System In Reminton 700 Rifles

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had a concern, I'd do some testing. Cock the rifle. Put the safety on. Pull on the trigger. Release the safety. If nothing happens, try it again a couple of times.

Bounce the butt on the floor but not brutally, of course. With the safety off and the rifle cocked, it should not go "click". This usually means a trigger pull of right at three pounds or maybe more.

FWIW, I rarely use the safety. Mostly, I have the bolt handle up if there's a round in the chamber and I'm sitting around waiting for Bambi.

Cock the rifle. Put the safety on. Pull on the trigger. Release the safety. If nothing happens, try it again a couple of times.

Also put the safety partway between safe and fire and do it again. That is where many of the complaints were, and that is a problem Remington acknowledges exists.

I've seen recommendations for the Timney trigger as a solution to the problem. Is it true that the factory Remington X-Mark Pro trigger uses a different design from the original, and isn't susceptible to the unintended firing problem?

I've seen recommendations for the Timney trigger as a solution to the problem. Is it true that the factory Remington X-Mark Pro trigger uses a different design from the original, and isn't susceptible to the unintended firing problem?

Yes on both counts. Replacing the Walker trigger on older guns fixes the issue and newer guns use a different design.

I like how Remington's response only covered a guy that was on the show for all of five minutes

That is the teaser, the whole rebuttal is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2YFIwoZsWHk

They pick pretty much all of it apart.

Nevermind the fact that they interviewed the original designer who agreed that it is unsafe. lol

Well, no. That is not what he said.

The whole interview, all Walker really said was he advocated for a firing pin block on the safety, and Remington did not do it because of cost. He also said some of the parts were out of spec.

The Walker interview portion is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iis8nxGl-hQ

I covered the other crap they claimed about Walker back in post 42.

I think all of you need to get rid of your Remingtons real cheap since you are so scared of them. Sell them to me cheap and I will gladly assume the risk.:D

Would it be safe to say that there are about the same number of Ruger 10/22s on the market as the Remington 700?
How many "meritless ND" cases have been filled for the 10/22 vs the 700?

It could be because this is the only gun I've ever heard of something like this happening to, besides the Bryco company which ended up going bankrupt because of the lawsuit, but I find it hard to believe that one type of rifle is more prone to "user idiocy" than another.

A 15 lb trigger is much less subject to user idiocy than a 3 lb trigger. A cap pistol is much less subject to user idiocy than a real hand gun. The more practical an item is to someone with common sense, the more prone to danger it seems to be for an idiot.

Would it be safe to say that there are about the same number of Ruger 10/22s on the market as the Remington 700?
How many "meritless ND" cases have been filled for the 10/22 vs the 700?

Can any numbskull with a jewelers screwdriver tweak a 10/22 trigger to the point it is unsafe?

"I was having this discussion at the range with an LEO. He said they'd had Rem 700s that would fire when the safety was disengaged . . . so they just stopped using the safety".

Yeah, ok. :rolleyes: And I'm guessing no one frigged with the trigger systems or called Remington either? How Come the US Military doesn't have that issue? "LEO"...? Ok, sure...;)

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I believe the Marines build and machine their own "700's". That being the case I would guess they don't have issues with triggers.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I believe the Marines build and machine their own "700's". That being the case I would guess they don't have issues with triggers.

I don't know if they build their own, but they do have the Walker trigger. The Marines did put a memo out saying not to adjust the triggers, right before they ordered a bunch more rifles.

I think this was covered in the Remington "This-so-called-news-is-a-load-of-horse-shieat" video I linked above.

On Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2YFIwoZsWHk Fast forward to ~6:45

Last edited:
Emcon5, don't bother trying to defend Remington with links of fact based info. I tried earlier in this thread, and several last year. There are certain individuals on here who would prefer to listen to the emotional presentation from left wing CNBC / MSNBC and lawyers, instead of reading objective facts and evidence presented by an American Arms Company. Unreal. :confused: :rolleyes:

And how do you dismiss people here who have had it happen to them? Is everyone who has ever experienced an unintentional 700 discharge a liar or an incompetent?

Once again, if the trigger system hasn't been frigged with, if the fingers don't touch the trigger upon closing the bolt, the guns don't fire. Simple as that. And as previously mentioned, what about muzzle control??? :rolleyes: No wonder the left is winning!

Gats, if you have had one discharge you are not an idiot. If you had it pointed at something you did not wish to destroy when it discharged; then you are.............well,........whatever you want to call yourself.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back