Unarmed Man Attempts Robbery of Open Carry Proponent

Open carry is an issue of attraction to someone attempting to steal a gun. Not an issue in CA any longer is open is not longer legal.

Partially true. Functional open carry, that is, with a loaded firearm, has been illegal since 1968. Unloaded open carry was made illegal as of January 1, 2012 over most of the state, but there certainly are exceptions.
http://www.californiaopencarry.org/faq.html

Unless CC is illegal and OC is legal I see no reason to OC. I do wish OC was legal in Texas for the reason that if my gun becomes exposed to view I’ll not be arrested for it.

Not to worry, you aren't likely to be arrested for an incidental exposure of your concealed gun.

Open carry is not a deterrent. It is an invitation for a predator to take your gun. The whole point of concealed carry is to give you an edge that the prepaid or isn't aware of. When a cop carries a gun on his belt, the gun isn't the deterrent to a predator. It's the knowledge that he has the training to use it, and that there are several hundred or thousand brother officers standing behind that one cop.

regaurdless of open carry or conceal carry,learn out to fight better.

Rule 1)don't let people get close to you
rule 2) don't let people grab your gun
rule 3) don't think after something bad has happen,think before.
rule 4)if you choose to open carry,learn how to fight while keeping control of your weapon.

We use level 3 holsters where I work, but we were taught to carry a knife clipped to your left pocket and if someone is grabbing at your gun, you grab their wrist with your right hand, and start thrusting the knife into their face. It sounds really brutal but it's supposed to be a really good way to make someone immediately pull their hands up to their face. Obviously at that point, you quickly assess whether to shoot them or not and go from there. Obviously wouldn't work on the ground, but would have worked in the case of this story.

open carry, stances, general public....

For armed citizens or anyone who works in a armed, uniformed position, you should learn to stand with your firearm protected or off-line from a person next to you. You don't have to be aggressive just use common sense.
Some people or young kids may see your holstered firearm & be curious.
Avoid allowing anyone staying close to the weapon or distracting you.
To learn a few weapon retention skills or to be able to fend off a firearm snatch is smart too. Some street people or criminals may appear "docile" or friendly but could be aggressive in a instant.
My state recently put new gun laws in place to avoid CC license holders(W) from any legal hassles if the concealed firearm is exposed.

ClydeFrog

Weapon retention is all well and good. However, what bothers me is that folks assume they will get into a wrestling match and can apply such skills with awareness.

If someone starts the theft with a thrown rock to your noggin or an OC spray by surprise - you are in trouble.

Such tactics would become popular if snatches became a fad.

And this is why imho open carry is not smart.
Yep, I have to agree with this.

I think LockedBreech put it well. I want to be able to open carry, I should be able to open carry, But I don't want to open carry.

The irony of shooting yourself when drawing from a Serpa during an open-carry snatch incident and then resultant thread boggles the mind of a moderator.

I know two guy who shot themselves with them. I've seen some very scary newbies trying to draw from those and one experienced LEO with a new one who had difficulty. The former had to be grabbed by the SO.

I heard from a little birdie that some of the major competition organizations are thinking about banning them as 20 or more local clubs have done this.

I agree that open carry should be legal but I would not in most situations. I have while hunting but that's it.

If someone starts the theft with a thrown rock to your noggin ... you are in trouble.

It was a common tactic of flash mobs that the "signal" which triggers the coordinated attack is that one of the mob members is designated to hit the victim in the face with a thrown baseball or other object. Twelve inch softballs are not really that soft BTW...

If you just get jumped the assialants are going to get your phone / electronic device, and go for your wallet. If you are carrying concealed, they may come across your firearm, they may miss it. But if you're carrying it openly they definately won't miss it, and I think that if you are attacked while OC'ing - it's more likely to be explosively violent, brutal and decisive - as in a bludgeon to the head, because the assailants already know you're carrying, they've decided to attack you despite that, they know they have to at least knock you out if not kill you to keep you from deploying your weapon.

Such tactics would become popular if snatches became a fad.
A few years ago, they broke up a group of inmates in Pelican Bay who were teaching other inmates how to disarm police officers. Who wants to place bets that civilian gun snatches will become a gang initiation ritual at some point?

Just this weekend, I came up behind and stood right next to an elderly gentleman who was open carrying.

The fella was carrying a snubnose revolver on his belt at the 4 o'clock position in a scabbard belt holster. I am being liberal when I say the 4 oclock position. It was probably more like at the 5 o'clock position.

He was standing in line at the VERY busy paint counter of a big name home improvement store. He never noticed me standing there for a full five minutes (by my watch) all the while within arm's reach of his weapon. Both of his hands were full holding on to a case of fluorescent tubes and fiddling with his I-phone at the same time.

Observing at how preoccupied this man was and how exposed his revolver was to a simple snatching, I was concerned enough to ask him if his holster had any weapon retention features.

Obviously perturbed at being yanked away from his electronically-induced "condition white" state of awareness, he hesitated. Finally after much stammering, he admitted that his holster had no retention features.

I wished him good luck as he scurried out of the store...leaving his merchandise behind.

If you're going to OC responsibly, at least use the proper holster. Plan ahead, think about what you are doing and maintain the proper level of awareness.

If you're going to OC responsibly, at least use the proper holster. Plan ahead, think about what you are doing and maintain the proper level of awareness

Thanks for sharing that story, Skadoosh. It's a bit unnerving to hear how oblivious he was to his surroundings, and how easily he could have been disarmed.

I've always felt that people should be able to open-carry if they wish, but they also need to realize that a great deal of personal responsibility comes along with that right.

It's not my choice, nor will it ever be.

So the one other case was found. Two cases and that is it.

If we are going to come down on activities b/c of two cases then the shooting sports are in trouble.

johnwilliamson062 said:
...Two cases and that is it.

If we are going to come down on activities b/c of two cases...
Two cases that we know about. How many don't we know about? How good/assessable/searchable is the data?

An exposed gun will be an obvious temptation to some integrity impaired citizens. And we know that such types go for guns openly carried by LEOs with some regularity.

It doesn't take much imagination to conclude that anyone who openly carries a gun in public ought to be aware of the risk and have the training and skill to deal with it if necessary.

Local law enforcement, retention holsters; speed vs security...

Before my state governor signed the new 2A-gun laws, a county sheriff testified to the elected officials that armed citizens should be required to have level II/III type holsters and mandated retention skill training.
This requirements were NOT added to the final law. I also question how or who would pay for the required training or who'd enforce the new laws.

As posted, open carry does require being more alert & ready to fend off a snatch. With holsters you must address points like speed(open type holsters) and security(retention, SERPA or SFS, etc). I used to think the open style holsters were best for both open and concealed use but as times changed, I can see the value of some designs like the Blackhawk SERPA & Safariland ALS or SFS. They are fast, secure and able to be modified quickly(FBI cant, crossdraw, standard).
Why some firearm ranges or LE training centers would ban the SERPA holsters is what I don't get. I bought a M&P SERPA holster last Dec and it works fine. Even upside down the M&P was fully secure. You can't ask for more than that, ;). I'd add that I wouldn't carry the SERPA holster in a rough or harsh climate(like SW Asia or the North Pole) but for regular wear or urban use, it's A-OK. ;)

ClydeFrog

hate to say it because I know how everyone feels about them, but a situation where someone is struggling for the gun shows how a magazine disconnect could be a good thing. Obviously as long as it's not a revolver your carrying.

Back