uberti 1858 barrel problem

No problem. I tried the 15 g in a pietta 51 steel frame and it shot about 1/2 inch into a 4/4 post 15 ft away. But I did not use a wad. But i shot alot several years ago and those small loads didn't work but I used 36 wads. Also, I used trip 7 in the last firing. The gun wants to jam after 4 or 5 pulls. I think maybe the channel for the hammer hand might have burrs. I can break it down and smooth it w/ imory or a fine paper. But I don't know. I polished off the ends of the recoil slot for the hammer but that didn't work. It has to be the hammer hand slot--or does it? It's a new gun. I ain't gonna break it down unless you think I should. Like I said, I got other things to work on but this might be not too hard. Seems 3 or 4 years ago I did it and it worked.

I didn't think conversions were unsafe but after some posts and private messages--I wondered. After all, I still have those ugly bulges on that barrel. Heck it was a uberti case hardened model and they ain't cheap -- so I should just order a new one. I can put it in----I think:confused:
wbh

Fixed it--goes into all 4 cock--took me 2 hours. DRAGOON are you glad I made that happen:) Now I got to work on an sg gibson guitar I wish I was a real gunsmith but I aint. I know you are! I now be proud of you:) Glad I did'nt shoot my foot LOL And sorry Noel -the 15 charge would have hurt my foot. Just remember small charges in my day didn't pop like I thought--so apolygy to you too.

WBH

I have run into this before--disgruntled customers bringing back pietta 51 and 60's that couldn't remove the wedge or get nipples unable to remove w/traditions nipple wrenches. We had a socket wrench cut to the fit the nipple head around the nipples--don't know where it is but might have been 3/8 can't remember. I think I solved the poblem by smoothing out the recoil slot and honing the hammer head slot. I used 3-1 oil--not ballestol. Also I had to use a hard steel nipple wrench from a 2nd gen colt kit to dislodge the nipples from that pietta. Never knew why they were put in so tight along w/ wedge. Uberties never showed ME those simple problems. And nothing against Piettas but it was always the economical ones--they have higher priced guns that prove more smoother action

sorry dragoon I went on a tangent:D I didn't mean the problems of some things I said. They were just on my mind when I was typing I have CRS---The hammer slot was rough and I used oil and fine grit paper to even it up with the chambers. I took fine grit paper w/ oil wraped on a special nail tool to scub and polish out burrs and roughness in the hammer head slot. I think if the spring on the hammer hand gets stress it will break. I don't know enough to be an expert but I do know that folks that no nothing about these guns and buy a 200 gun -they don't know that these springs will /hammer etc/ might grasp rough edges and break them. Am I right?

Back