Trunk Gun, Semiato Rem .223, Semiauto 12" Shotgun or Bot Action .308 Win?

I have an old mil-surp as a trunk gun and i think it is ideal for whatever situation i need it for. I am proficiant with it out to about 550 yards and i am confident in my abilities in short distances too.
I feel confident with my p228 for any distances within 50 yards, so that base is covered too.

I leave the AR at home because i just don't feel comfortable leaving a rifle that is worth more than my car in my car. Hah.

I guess I've found it:

Hi there,

this interesting rifle (below) caught my attention. Do any of you have experience with it? Seems like a good all-around defense rifle to me...

Remington 7615P Pump Action Patrol Rifle
m7615.jpg

Model 7615P Patrol Rifle
Action Pump/Short
Caliber 223 Rem - 5.56mm
Avg. Weight 7 lbs.
BBL Length 16 1/2 inches
Sights Wilson Combat Ghost Ring (Rear) - XS (Front)
Standard Twist 9 inches
Mag. Cap. 10*
Order Number 6488

* Accepts M16/AR15 magazines

For your scenario the AR15 type .223 is by far the best choice, In the real world you cannot be certain what the range will be, The .223 is effective from 300 yards to muzzle contact. Supplement it with a US Army web belt with two triple magazine pouches and install a low power scope or red dot site. That combination will see you through most emergencies far better than any of your other possible choices.

I would consider a 30-30 lever gun for go anywhere, anytime in the truck.

Shorter barrel, shorter dolllars and easy to use.

Robin Brown

I own a Winchester SX2. I carry it in the trunk of my car to places where I intend to shoot it, otherwise it stays inside for home protection in partnership with my PT-92. Do you really worry about stuff like that, or are you just making up situations to post?

It's not wise to shoot people in the back as they're running away. An AR is the best defense rifle IMO - you can get lots of cheap ammo to become surgical with it as well as plenty of accessories to help you out. But I would use it if I heard something stirring outside my house and I lived on a huge plot of land.

I don't have a trunk on my F-100, but I do have an SKS often behind the seat. Cheap enough that its loss would make me cry, but very effective.

I just bought an el cheapo Wally World "back window" gun rack for my Ranger.

The gun rack is for my fishin' poles. This way I can carry my SKS behind the seats.

Not a whole lot of room behind the seats in a Ranger :)

I dont know your skill level, but I would recomend aginst a shotgun. They can be very messy if you dont know what your doing, and having to put holes into something while not putting holes into everything isnt a shotguns job, unless your using slugs. That presents problems, too. Not to mention that shotguns are low capacity weapons...The most rounds ive ever seen is 16, and thats a stretch.

And, speaking in broad terms, shotguns are not effective at long to medium range.

My advice would be with something compact, semiauto, and with range and power. Something like a civvie version of a FN-FAL or HK G3A4K if your big, or perhaps a .223 if your not so big or compatent.

Back