Triton is trying my patience!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bald1 - First of all, by all means forward any and all postings I have done, including this one, to Peter. He knows my number and can call me at any time.

Triton has been in business since 1994. In that time period we have continued to receive much "bad talk" in public arenas by the staff at Cor-Bon. Some not even smart enough to know that their badmouthing was being done in my presence. No other ammunition company that I know of does that on such a regular basis. Regardless of that, the stance my employees have when it comes to Cor-Bon, when asked is that they also make performance ammunition. No more; no less. I cannot say the same for the employees of Cor-Bon. Fact, not opinion.

What I posted about the .400 Cor-Bon is also based in fact. Am I badmouthing Peter Pi? I don't think so. What I am saying, very clearly mind you, is that the .400 Cor-Bon has had problems with case failures with factory ammunition. Why? Because of the weak cartridge case. It is a design flaw that Cor-Bon attempted to remedy but still exists. I still recall all the articles that stated that using .45 ACP brass to form .400 Cor-Bon cases was OK. Later on that changed to using factory (Starline) brass for .400 Cor-Bon and if you use .45 ACP brass, don't hotrod it.

My beef with the .400 Cor-Bon, or any other cartridge design, is that the strength of the cartridge case must be there even if the cartridge is designed for less than magnum like pressures. If you are to design a new cartridge, you do not rush a design simply to get it into the market. You test the crap out of it until you find its weaknesses, then you improve upon it. That is the techniques used by Federal, Remington, Winchester, etc. We happen to think that's the way to go at Triton also.

Regarding the points you brought up: 1)yes, improperly machined barrels can be a problem in any caliber. I agree; 2) Since there is an inherent weakness to the cartridge case, I also agree; 3) Once again I agree. The problem however is that Cor-Bon stated to the press that .45 ACP brass was OK to use. If that is not true, you simply don't say it.

I'm sorry you feel offended by my statements. All I can say is that I, and many others in the industry, are committed to producing ammunition designed from the beginning to not let you down when the "stuff" hits the fan. If the ammunition fails to perform because of user error, then that is out of our hands. If, however, the ammunition fails or causes the gun to fail because of inadequate ammo design, then shame on the company that produced that ammunition. That applies to any ammo company.

Lastly, I am not touting the attributes of the .40 Super or any other Triton product over products produced by Cor-Bon. Others have made the comparison between the .40 Super and the .400 Cor-Bon and I addressed that. I am quite proud of my business ethics. Triton does not go out there bad mouthing other companies in order to boost our own sales. I wish I could say the same for those other companies.

Schmit - Your grill lighting is being understated big time. I still have flashbacks! :)

The Triton booth scene was classic. Here are all the Triton employees watching a mad man with a high tech fire starter preparing to demonstrate it. Thank God for no live ammo at the booth!

I still want one of those things :)

Fernando

I have been contact by several people to set the record straight on Triton’s posts concerning Cor-Bon. First of all I would like to coment on Fernanado’s statement:

"Oh, and Peter Pi and the .400 Cor-Bon? Ask Al Greco, Peter's gunsmith, about the .400 Cor-Bon he shot at Second Chance that blew his gun up. How about the Canadian Mounted Police that suffered case head separation when testing the .400 Cor-Bon. The list goes on and on but go ahead and feel free to use .400 Cor-Bon."

For the Record I would like to say that Al Greco is not Peter Pi’s gunsmith. Peter Pi does not have a personal custom gunsmith. I have custom guns from Les Baer, Cylinder and Slide, Wilson, Ed Brown and most of the name brands. I had Al fit a couple of 400 barrels to two of my guns. Al does great work, but that does not make him “Peter’s Gunsmith”. Fernando says that Al’s gun blew up at Second Chance. Well, that gun was my personal gun on loan to Al. That gun had several thousand rounds of full power 400 through it and the weld on the recoil lug gave way from an improper weld. It was clearly a defective barrel from a reputable manufacture that I’m not going to mention. I do not rag on other people’s products. The story about the Canadian Mounted Police, well that one I do not know a thing about. Maybe Fernando can send me the documentation on that one. If it were true I’m sure I would have heard about it by now.

No one has ever seen in print until today, me ever mention Fernando or Triton. I just do not play them kinds of games. We have been in business since 1982, we have lead the High Performance ammo field and will continue to do so. We do it by being innovative, not by playing follow the leader.

I for one am appreciate that Peter Pi saw fit to enter TFL forums to address some of the allegations made here.

The rule of thumb both here and on Bladeforums.com has been to avoid personal attacks and flame wars. In my previous post I expressed my dismay at seeing an industry rep make disparaging comments about another firm. To me that was analogous to individual members attacking each other.... totally UNSAT. Mr. Pi's post certainly sheds an entirely different light on Mr. Coehlo's comments. As I've stated elsewhere, it is very easy to post stories or variations thereof out of school. Usually what we end up seeing are half truths or total distortions. Looks like the allegation of the gun at Second Chance falls into that category. The Mounties bit is something else again.

Despite Mr. Coehlo's response to my earlier post, in which he tries to explain himself, I find his tactics here deplorable. In that post too he contends that Cor-Bon is a worse offender in badmouthing Triton. All I know is what I've read here and although it may be a rule of thumb in national political circles, the first liar doesn't always win :)!

-=[Bob]=-

[This message has been edited by bald1 (edited August 20, 1999).]

Peter - It's nice to see you join. I stand corrected on Al being your gunsmith. One for you.

I never said you mentioned me in print. My statement was made based on the many phone calls my staff receives from people who call Cor-Bon and hear nothing but badmouthing about Triton. Other times it has been conventions or gun shows. Every time the same old story. Something I addressed with you on the phone some time ago and also in person at SHOT Show. In a way you are right. You don't do it, your staff does it for you. In an industry this small, that kind of crap doesn't need to happen.

You are right. Cor-Bon is innovative. Just as Super-Vel was before Cor-Bon. I guess we all kind of followed the same path.

Now if you want to continue this little debate on this board, no problem. Or you can talk to me on the phone and we'll settle this bull once and for all. Are you up to it? The number is 1-800-861-3362. I'll be in on Monday morning.

MarkCO - This is what the internet is about. Excitement beyond the evening news

bald1 - Thank you for having Peter come out and join in.

Maybe you should read my posts again. This did not start as a personal attack on Peter but how I view the design weaknesses of the .400 Cor-Bon cartridge case. Something that I still stand by.

Peter shed little light other than who is not his personal gunsmith. The more important issue of the cartridge case still stands. Did you miss that?

There are no half truths in what I said.
I have no "tactics" here to use. Just the truth. It may not conform to your reality but unfortunately it still stands as the truth.

"All I know is what I've read here...", that's the problem. If you were better informed you wouldn't even have stepped into this particular arena. Peter knows what I am talking about when it comes to the degrading of Triton's products and the company itself by his people. If he doesn't, then it is time for a staff meeting at SD to review corporate policy.

Fernando,

You still miss my point. The very fact that you use this forum to declare (quoting you) "how I view the design weaknesses of the .400 Cor-Bon cartridge case. Something that I still stand by." is at issue. This thread was concerned with determining reality vis-a-vis the Triton 40 Super cartridge, brass, etc. Your views of the 400 Cor-Bon were unsolicited! The fact that you deemed it appropriate to do so instead of sticking strictly to the 40 Super is a tactic of the type I have roundly criticized.

It seems that you have a problem with Mr Pi and instead of trying to resolve it manufacturer to manufacturer you have decided to hang some of your dirty laundry here. Again, a tactic I take extreme issue with.

I'm a career logistician. When someone wants to tell me things about their competition unbidden rather than restrict themselves to extolling the virtues of their own product line, a red flag goes up. And that's what happened here for me. What do you expect to gain by recounting alledged sins committed by Cor-Bon against you in this forum? With all the many manufacturers, distributors, vendors, and retailers that participate on both The Firing Line and Bladeforums, this is the first instance of a public attack (yes, I view your comments here and in the "Corbon or Triton or..." thread to constitute a critical attack) by one OEM upon another. And initially the object of the attack wasn't even here to defend himself. You don't see a problem here Mr Coehlo? I've come to expect much, much better.

-=[Bob]=-

[This message has been edited by bald1 (edited August 21, 1999).]

Fernando,

I am not going to debate the 400 Cor-Bon vs. The 40 Super with you on this forum. I think it would be silly as we both think that our respective cartridge is the best. What is much more important is what you are saying about my employee's. It is my policy that none of my people bad mouth anyone in this industry. We have enough problems fighting the anti-gunners and all those lawyers that are trying to sues us out of business to be fighting each other. I have forty Seven employees that work for me. About 10 of them work the various shows around the country, now that is not counting the various Factory Rep groups that represent our products calling on dealers. If one of these people gets out of line and bad mouths any competitor I want to hear about it. I need names, times and dates. It has been my policy from the start that the way to sell Cor-Bon is to say why our product is the best, not by bashing the competitors. I don't want to burst your bubble, but I'm after Winchester, Remington, and Federal's market shares not yours.

You said that negative comments were made by Cor-Bon employee's in your presents, If that is true, you should have gotten their name, (they always were name badges at the shows) and called me. I guarantee you that I would have nipped that right in the butt, because I will not stand for that kind of nonsense. As far as calling you on Monday morning, I do not think that will be necessary, we both have a lot of better things to do (like make and sell ammo) than to be discussing this.

Fernando;

> mad man with a high tech fire starter

I resent being labled as a "mad man"... I am not now nor have I ever been ajudicated as Mad/Insane. However... Crazy Marine! Guilty ;)

> I still want one of those things

No ya don't. Though the manufacture stated that he has never had any complaints with this product from the "numerous special military units" that carry it, I managed to make the thing inoperatable by bring out a, IMO, design flaw. Haven't had a chance to get back with the manufacture yet.

I'll stick to my low tech piece of Cocobolo with a rod of flint and magnisium glued to one side and a filed down (no teeth) hacksaw blade attached to that via leather for a striker. I've had this for over 7 years and it is still working fine.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Gentlemen (hi, Pete, hi, Fernando):

If I may intervene regarding your recent dialogue:

Fernando; “Triton has been in business since 1994. In that time period we have continued to receive much "bad talk" in public arenas by the staff at Cor-Bon.”

Peter; “If one of these people gets out of line and bad mouths any competitor I want to hear about it.”

To Fernando: Employees of any company may occasionally become overzealous, territorial, over-protective. However, Pete has a legitimate point here. He should be contacted personally concerning anything of this nature. I’m sure Pete would deliver a strong reprimand to anyone found doing this.

Peter; “We have been in business since 1982, we have lead the High Performance ammo field and will continue to do so. We do it by being innovative, not by playing follow the leader.”

To Pete & Fernando: Long before Triton, long before CorBon, long before Hydra-Shok, AND L-O-N-G BEFORE SUPER VEL (as in the late 40’s to mid-50’s) there existed Jim Harvey’s “Pro-tex bore” bullets and ammunition. Jim was the original pioneer of high velocity handgun bullets -- not Lee Jurras as many writers mistakenly believe (essentially, Lee replicated everything Jim did nearly two decades earlier).

Jim designed two bullet types in both soft point and hollow point persuasion. A pure lead, zinc-based bullet and a thin-copper-jacketed bullet (pure lead core) in which a special crimp-type “cannelure” was applied via an innovative swaging die which he also developed. The jacketed bullet was his favorite. The interesting part is the bullet weights Jim chose and later marketed in .357 Magnum and .38 Special -- 114 grains, 127 grains and 137 grains!! Although Jim didn’t have our modern-day powders to work with, the velocities he obtained with Hercules 2400 and Unique were impressive when used to propel his reduced-frontal-shank bullets (yes, similar to Remington’s patented Golden Saber concept). Velocities as high as 1640 fps (6-inch S&W) were obtained with the 114 grain jacketed Pro-tex bore round. As should be obvious by now, Jim was tremendously futuristic in his thinking, and his work has had far-reaching repercussions. Certainly no one in the entire country can say “I started it all.”, including Lee Jurras. Even the major ammo companies are following the lead of this trendsetter without even realizing who the leader was. Although Jim has long-since passed, I’d like to dedicate this short piece to this man of extraordinary vision. Feel free to copy this post and disseminate. It’s the least we can do for the man who started it all.

.400 CorBon vs. .40 Super? The .40 Super is not invincible. It is bound by pressure limitations (about 40,000 p.s.i.) just as the .45 auto case is constrained by its own pressure limitations. Both generate impressive ballistics…and I certainly have no wish to be shot by either.

Peter; “We have enough problems fighting the anti-gunners and all those lawyers that are trying to sue us out of business to be fighting each other.”

To all; This really is the main issue and I fully agree with you on this. Even though it’s a small industry, there’s still plenty of room for the existing players. Regarding firearms legislation, we sink or swim together. Sniping and innuendo has to be replaced with mutual respect and cooperation. *There is strength in numbers* Is a merger completely out of the question?

Regards to both,

Tom Burczynski

Rich,
Looks like TFL is seriously moving up...
Feels like I need to shave and put on a suit.

I am glad to see these "celebrities" here!

I hope you guys stick around and contribute. I am sure there is a lot of knowledge you fellows can both share and glean.

Welcome...

------------------
"America is a melting pot, the people at the bottom get burned while all the scum floats to the top."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

http://pages.hotbot.com/advice/kodiac/index.html

Very entertaining thread, but frankly, I don't think that this exchange has made either company look very good.

Triton "double talks" his way
around how he shafted D. Curry.
Triton then slanders Cor-Bon.
(Bald1 is correct!!!)
Triton said , "Some not even smart
enough to know that their
badmouthing was being done in
my presence" SO WHAT?? , you think
other people are as impressed
with you , as you are with yourself?
You are a master at displacing
the focal point , that is what got
you in trouble with Cor-Bon. You have
a PHD in B.S. All fear the leader
of Triton. He can talk his way out
of one mess & into another! I'm
sure you will be running for office
soon!

"False Advertising"
Triton accepted payment
for a product they said
was available. After
payment is received ,
"so sorry not available
until next year"! Good
business practices! I'm
sure that Curry after all
the complaining that the
poor fellow had to produce
will be given the VIP
treatment from Triton , so
that they can brush it
under the carpet. Slip it
in the paper-shredder. What
a joke! Cheers Curry for
your humble approach &
"semi-resolution" to this
clown act.

this has been more interesting than listening to me talking about burying h&ks in the dirt!
my one thought is that you really have to work to even find tritons and that they are really pricey when you do.
corbon on the other hand is everywhere and not as pricey. and it works REAL well too!

------------------

Actually I found Triton to be pretty inexpensive and of the very highest quality. You can get 20 round box of it for only $8.47 through The Sportsman's guide. It is the least expensive of all the top name brands, but you are getting, IMO, the very highest in quality. You can get it through Cabellas or The Sportsman's guide.

[This message has been edited by Red Bull (edited August 22, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back