triple 7...

Hey Mike,im Still Here.i've Been Out Of Town On A Hunting Trip.you Aint Going To Beleive This One.lol.well,maybe You Will.i Took A Big Doe With My Smoke Pole And While I Was Field Dressing Her And The Rib Cage ,proped Open With This Fancy Spreader I Bought,my Pretty Ruger Old Army Fell Out Of My Slim Jim Holster Into The Poole Of Blood Inside The Cavity.what A Mess.if It Can Happen It Will Happen To Me.lol.my Buddy Couldnt Help Cause He Was Too Busy Rolling On The Ground In Laughter.wont Happen Again Though Cause I Put A Leather Thong Over The Hammer Like My Western Rig.SO MIKE,ARE YOU GETTING SOME GRIPS FROM DON?YOU'LL LOVE THEM.

Kevin, Glad you one! Getting that Ruger bloody was just all part of the tradtion of the Tenn. wild men. That's what I would have told your buddy,Lol.
Now we need pics! I'm going to contact Don and see what he would charge me to scrimshaw a black bear head on one of the old ivory grips for my Remington.

Steve, Good report on the powder tubes. I got mine but haven't had a chance to play with them . To many irons in the fire and having a few health problems.
I know that years ago when dynimite got wet the old minors would just lay it around the camp fire to dry out but the problem was that as it dried it would get a white coating on it and that was nitro., Lol. They said it was really still good just very unstable.:D

Mike, I checked out the website from the link and they have some nice stuff dont' they? I kinda like the white stag grips for the outlaw in the custom single action section, do you think those would fit my 58? The general shape looks the same, but eyeballing measurments always gets me in trouble.

Low Key, You may want to ask Kevin that question. He's the one who has been dealing with Don and the old ivory grips on his 1858's came from him.He would know which ones you need to order. It seems to me that Kevin said Don sends the grips to you over sized so you can make a perfect fit yourself.
I also believe you can send in your frame and he will custom fit them for you. Mike

Low Key,what Ya Need To Do Is Make A Tracing Of Your Grips On Like A Nila Folder.make Sure To Be Exact! Don Will Match Your Tracing Will His Molds,and He Has 100's,to Make Sure You Get The Right Ones.mine Did Come A Little Over Sized And So I Had To Fit Them But Don Sends Real Good Instructions On How To Do It.hell,if I Can Do It You Damn Sure Can.lol.don Is Great To Work With.just Give Him A Call And He Can Most Likely Help You On The Phone But You Still Need The Tracing.i Love Mine.i Posted Pic's In One Of The Threads But I Dont Remember Which One.i'll Try To Post Them Here.

100_0318.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for the info Kevin! If I decide to order anything I'll do that tracing and contact Don about the fitting.
Heres something I learned about the pic size, if you open your pic with microsoft Paint and click image then stretch/skew and change the horizontal and vertical to 50% each your image will be much better sized for posting. You can play with the %'s until you get an file size between 25 and 75kb for a jpeg image and they post really good on these threads. Save your pic under a different file name if you want to preserve the original.

oook,what you said!lol.low key,im not a computer wiz at all.im not real sure what you just told me.lol.i had this computer for about 4 yrs now and i still have not got the hang of all there is to know.got help me when we get them in our patrol cars.they said we are getting them real soon.i'll have to get one of the crooks to show me how to use it.lol

I'm glad I missed the whole computer in the car thing. Kevin, have you ever thought about how folks go on and on about how unsafe it is to talk on a cell phone while driving but don't think there's a thing wrong with expecting a cop to drive in pursuit one-handed while yelling into the radio mike with the other? And now computer terminals! I know we had radio operators (they didn't like to be called dispatchers) who wouldn't hardly answer a lot of the time anyway. If those guys knew you had a terminal in the car with you they would expect you to run everything yourself regardless of the situation. I haven't 'bonded' with the computer. I can do stuff if I have step by step directions, otherwise I just kinda lock up. Good thing you're still young and flexible!

Steve

steve,your right about all of that!im with the metro nashville park police and we do the very same job as metro nashville pd with same powers but we mainly do our policing in the 115 parks in nashville w/50 % of those in the projects.we have our shooting,robberies,stabbings,and lots and lots of drugs!! we slow down a little this time of year cause its cold outside but we stay busy enough.our down side is that we are always by ourself on calls with no back up close but metro pd which has no clue about the areas in our parks so they are not much help when your in a fight.most of the time my closest backup,another metro park officer ,maybe 30 min away and thats running code 3(lights and siren).but,anyway the metro pd has computers in their cars and your right the dispatchers expect them to stay off the radio and not bother them.yea,right.we work with the pd all of the time either backing them up or them us so we share each others gripes.

I'm no expert, but i know my way around a computer well enough to get done what I need to get done. They can be very distracting sometimes, especially when they don't work right :( , worse for your driving skill than a cell phone! They can also be good for giving you high blood pressure and make you say bad words! :eek: I wonder how many LEO's have actually tossed theirs out the cruiser window?? LOL!

Computers....and..

I have been working on computers since 1989, but when I bought my first PC I knew I had better learn to work on the guts and software. That is not to say that I haven;t wanted to pull my hair out and as for those bad words......no comment! I do know that these wonderful contrapsions do EXACTLY what you tell them to. They don't do "OH S---S or do-overs very well.

Now back to the good stuff.

I have my '58 Rem stripped and polished and ready to brown. Boy it was tough to take that nice blue off. Not physically, but mentally. And when it came to the Konverter....whooeeee. Glad I did the soul searching before I started. Actually the blue came off rather easily.

Now I have a question. How far to take the browing?

Just enough to discolor it or go for real brown. Maybe it is a personal preference and I'll do as much as I think looks good. My old rifles I built in the 60's and 70's were as brown as I could get them. They all looked 200 years old.

What are your thoughts. I'll start this tomorrow as I have the weekends off.

Old Dragoon, When I did mine I went to several sites that sell the originals and just drooled all over my key board looking at them but there was no way I could buy any of them. Some of them cost twice what my truck coast :)
Anyway, you can get a good idea of just what you want yours to look like from the originals. Mike

Yeah I just copied some pictures. I think I know the look I want. Not real dark but with the edges kinda lighter to simulate wear. If I get it too dark I can lighten it. but I prefer to get it just right on the way there. It's been several years since I browned a bbl ot lock. I'll take it easy and slow.
Thanks

Patina for brass

WOW! I stumbled onto this when out surfing about a browning recipe. This is for brass. Lemon or lime juice and Apple Cider Vinegar about equal parts and a shimedigon of blk powder. Mix in a container enough to submerge the brass in. let set over night. I threw in the blk powder as I remembered that I used wet blk powder to put patina on my brass on my rifles. Well this works. It would probably work better if the brass is sanded with 600 grit first. I didn't sand my trigger guard, but it came out with a nice patina anyway.

Also I got the 44 Rem loaded Colt brass cartridges today. they look great in my holster rig belt and I'll let you know how they shoot as soon as I get the "Avenging Angel" back together. I'll post pictures of the rig, gun and the ammo
when I get it back together.

Well it for certain sure takes the shine off. I think I might sand my TG with 600 Grit and do the patina again, but it looks pretty good right now and will look better with use. I browned the "58 Rem tonight. I need to do at leasrt one more coat in places. but it is progressing fine. Fine a s Frog hair split in the middle. LOL Hope to have it back together by Sunday. I'm off tomorrow and Sunday so I should be able to get it back together and go shoot it on Sunday afternoon.

Old Dragoon, Gota warn ya...after you Patina one of these old civil war guns they think there back in the war and they shoot so straight it's unreal. They don't want to be left laying on the battle field to rust away:)

My Antiqued '58 Rem. New Model Army

Hey! This Photobucket works! I am almost finished , the only thing I don't like is the cylinder, I think it needs more work, but, perjhaps it looks more original for a Blacksmith/Gunsmith conversion , as the guns weren't always refinished, just converted. Factory Conversions always were refinished. I want to work some more on the grips and the escutens to put more patina on them.

1858RemRightAntiqued-1.jpg

Right side

1858RemLeftAntiqued-1.jpg

Left Side

1858Rem-HolsterRig.jpg

My holster Rig, it is a 25 cartridge money belt type. I need a knife for this rig.

1858Rem-SlimJim-1.jpg

The '58 and the Slim Jim Holster This holster was a left hand side type, I changed it to a right cross draw my moving the belt loop to the other side, hence the fringe in the thread holes. I might trim the whole holster in elk hide to cover the thread holes. I'm from that "use what you have" school. I do have two other double loop holsters both right or right crossdraw, for when the other '58 gets the treatment, that I can use with this belt. This belt and one holster were made for me buy a guy in Grain Valley, Mo. several years ago.

1858Rem-Ammo-1.jpg

The '58, Holster and 44 Remington loaded 44 CF cartridges.

Back