trimmer problems

I really like the wilson trimmer. but with over 5k pieces of brass to go through It is not a viably system.

I love my Wilsons and can trim, debur, and chamfer about 50 or 75 pieces per hour without rushing. However if I had 5 K pieces that needed that I would just break down and go with Girauds and have a couple of spare batteries standing by for my cordless drill

I love my Wilsons and can trim, debur, and chamfer about 50 or 75 pieces per hour without rushing. However if I had 5 K pieces that needed that I would just break down and go with Girauds and have a couple of spare batteries standing by for my cordless drill
I am really considering the Girauds for the drill. Just having a hard time deciding. Had the WFT and had problems getting it adjusted and a consistent trim. The Giraud looks like it had a lot better adjustment system, and would keep me from having to chamfer and deburr.

agree on the WFT, I could never get mine consistent either. You might be able to do 100 an hour on the Wilson if you used a case center to chamfer and deburr. Using the power drive adapter once you get into a rhythm it goes pretty fast. If I had a huge amount to do I would trim a couple of hundred then use my drill to chamfer and deburr the trimmed ones. Maybe do 200 at a sitting then take a break and do another 200 the next day etc. To do 5K might take me a month or more doing a little chunk each day

I am really considering the Girauds for the drill. Just having a hard time deciding. Had the WFT and had problems getting it adjusted and a consistent trim. The Giraud looks like it had a lot better adjustment system, and would keep me from having to chamfer and deburr.

I clamp my drill in a vice and I can run 300 in 15 minutes or so.

It is better if you can get vertical as the brass timings can work their way into the pilot (easy enough to clear but slows down)

Wiht the number of calibers I shoot now I went with their motorized. Expensive investment on first blush, but there are two ways to deal wiht the tooling.

1. Adjust the cutter for each case caliber (223/6.5/270/30-06 etc)

2. Get a cutter and see it for say 30 caliber, that will trim 308/06/7.5 Swiss

3. Regardless you need to get the adapters for each shoulder (you can use the 06 setup for 270 but you have to change the cutter)

I went with a cutter for each caliber so have 3 now (6.5 which will work for any 6.5/270/30 caliber.

Attachments

• IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
You got spring back after sizing.... the case should not be dragging on the pilot, hence it comes loose. Try annealing the brass before trimming. I anneal first. After FL sizing I use a expander mandrel then I trim if I need to. sometimes more so often times Partial FL the brass doesn't need triming.

Back