Trendy gun jargon

No right is absolute. Never has been, never will be. The question is where we draw the line on what is acceptable conduct and what is not.

One in the tube. LOL. An idiot describing a round in the chamber. Even the, "tube", under the barrel that holds the shells, is called a magazine, not a tube.

When someone is next to me at the range, in the field or in the deer woods, I'm more concerned about how responsible they are with whatever firearm they have

And I bet they think the same of you...........hope you don't get offended if they do.

One in the tube. LOL. An idiot describing a round in the chamber. Even the, "tube", under the barrel that holds the shells, is called a magazine, not a tube.

Oh, we aren't going down the caliber/cartridge, magazine/clip rabbit hole, are we?

I find it heartwarming that my intentional use of Fudd has incited a philisophical debate on "responsibility". This debate shows that it is a matter of perspective.
Take for example assualt weapon "A pistol with a magazine NOT in the pistol grip' straight out of the California Law as originally passed. That would be a Broom Handle Mauser. It would also happen to be a Hammerli or Walther Olympic Pistol (it took several years for them to make an exception). It was intended for UZI's, Cobray's and MAC 9's amongst others. The irony is that the FUDD's didn't bother to step up for ANY fight back on this.

Some jargon has a reason for its existence.......some more well deserved than others.

Take for example assualt weapon "A pistol with a magazine NOT in the pistol grip'

It was intended for UZI's, Cobray's and MAC 9's amongst others.
The irony is that the FUDD's didn't bother to step up for ANY fight back on this.
The real irony is that the Uzi, Cobray m11/9 and the Mac 9 /10 etc DO have a magazine that IS in the pistol grip.

The Tec-9 does not, like, as you noted the Mauser C-96 and some of the Olympic class target pistols.

While I understand the kind of attitude being referred to, I never got where the term "Fudd" comes from. In my life the first thing Fudd says to me is Elmer Fudd, the warner bros character, usually the hunter or farmer being foiled by Bugs Bunny and/or Daffy Duck. Never once did I ever see that character ever espouse any support for any kind of gun control.

Does it, perhaps come from "fuddy-duddy"? Meaning a stuffy opinionated person unconcerned with anything not part of their personal world?? That I could understand, but if so, I think they should have chosen something else, something not so closely associated with a buffoonish but beloved cartoon character.

There is a part of human nature that moves us to protect that which we care about and do little about that which we do not. I can understand this, I am that way about many things.

What I can't see is actively campaigning for or supporting anti-gun measures just because they aren't affecting your sport TODAY....

The dedicated golfer doesn't loose sleep over proposals to restrict or ban tennis racquets, but gets irate if they try to tell him he can only buy one club a month, PROVIDED he pass a background check EVERY time...:rolleyes:

The real irony is that the Uzi, Cobray m11/9 and the Mac 9 /10 etc DO have a magazine that IS in the pistol grip.

Which is why the "LAW" is so full of B.S.

What does the 410 do well? Offend the BoATF&E. The Dupo rounds that are legal in any other guage are ILLEGAL in 410 SINCE that is also a pistol caliber. 410 "Armor Piercing" ammunition.

Well, that's the way our govt works, Congress writes and passes a law defining and prohibiting "armor piercing handgun ammunition" and the BATFE decides that if anyone makes a handgun chambered for a round that round is "handgun ammunition". Following the letter, if not the spirit of the law.

"Fire in the hole" "were going hot" "are you good" (OK)

this is how we did it back when I was with the "TEAMS"

what teams? rifle teams? shooting club? SWAT teams? SEAL TEAM?

Ill admit I scanned through the 4 pages quickly, found many that made me literally laugh out loud (an instinctual, guttural laugh) not a LOL (comment frequently made for social media reasons). I did not see my pet peeve.

The one that "grinds my gears" is custom. If it is not made to my specification's or fitted for my rifle it is not custom made. It's simply manufacturing. At best improved manufacturing for an existing product.

Last edited:
what really torques my sense of dignity is "shotty" and "wheely".

My daughter used the word "shotty" ONE time to me. She soon learned better.

"Fire in the Hole!" is today used when events that cannot be altered are being set in motion.

It comes from mining / construction blasting when a hole was drilled in rock, and a charge of black powder (later dynamite) was inserted with a fuse. The warning cry "FIRE IN THE HOLE" was given when the fuse was lit. Fire from the fuse went into the hole and BOOM! Very logical.

"we're going hot"

Hot (and Cold) are widely used not just in firearms terms but also electrical terms and many other places. Hot (or Live) denotes active/operating/charged and therefore potentially dangerous.

These don't bother me. Really none of the terms (making sense or not) that were in use before and as I was growing up bothers me. What bothers me is current misuse or mis-definition of old terms and new made up terms used primarily for their "cuteness" effect.

There was one that bothered me in a thread a while back, one fellow identified the .257 Roberts as the ".257 Bob"
I don't care who you are, that's just barking wrong.

Wheely /Wheelie to me is standing a car or motorcycle on its back wheel(s).

"Shotty" is just cutesy stupid sounding.

"Bottom Feeder" is mechanically correct for many repeaters, and I find it amusing, though the first time I heard it, I wasn't sure if they were talking about a gun, a fish, or a lawyer...:rolleyes:

I never knew that the 1911A1 had a "dust cover" until I read it on the internet. There is no such part identified in any of the manuals. Its just the FRAME. An M16 or AR-15 has a dust cover, identified in the manuals and on the parts lists, a 1911A1 pistol does not.

You can call your front sight a "muzzle reference indicator" but its still a front sight....

Really none of the terms (making sense or not) that were in use before and as I was growing up bothers me. What bothers me is current misuse or mis-definition of old terms and new made up terms used primarily for their "cuteness" effect.

From the majority of the replies on this thread, it seems like the primary cut off as to whether or not you are bothered by a term is not what term is used, but that the poster themselves do not find it "cute" or appropriate. IOWs, "as long as I use it, it's fine. All those others really bother me!". "Bottom feeder is fine, but Shotty? OMG!" Growing up in the 50s and 60s, my generation had it's own Jargon. Every decade since has had it's own. Just a way folks tend to want to identify themselves. I work in the local High School. I hear a lot of "Jargon". I find myself asking these young adults what they mean, when I can't identify the term, just so I know for the next time I hear it. Not something I waste a lot of time whining or fretting about tho. Got a lot of other items on my plate, that need that attention.

I know very well, on these types of forums, as time goes by, new topics get hard to come by. Folks will ask about "which gun for bears?", and you can hear the moans all across the internet. Social Media to me, was originally a great source to glean information I could not find easily anywhere else. It also opened my eyes to info I didn't even know that existed. Seems lately tho, most everything one reads on it is a whine or rant about something trivial and unimportant. <<< See what I mean?:D

Back