Trendy gun jargon

So many of these "bothersome" words first showed up in print media, many, many decades ago (Shooting Times, Guns & Ammo, some books, such as "ABCs of Reloading and so forth, to have named just a few). Think the authors were trying to "be cool" and "with it".

Bottom feeder.

Either a semi-auto pistol or aquatic scavenger.
or a certain kind of lawyer...:D

You need to cast your net wider young Padawan...:rolleyes:

With the exception of revolvers, and some SMGs like the Sten and MGs like the Bren Gun virtually all repeaters are bottom feeders.

and I do hope everyone is ok with SMG for SubMachineGun and MG for Machine gun,

When I first ran into the term "boolits" I thought it was a bit childish, a deliberate "hillbilly" spelling but came to realize that (at that time) it was being used only for the lead "boolits" used in muzzle loading rifles and deliberately spelled that way to distinguish them from all the other kinds of bullets.

Today, the term spelled that way seems to have drifted from its original intended use...

Every modern technical process creates its own terminology and jargon. I could tell you how to adjust the TBP/NPH reductant flow to maintain a constant 16gm/l drop out from the K-2 column in order to minimize FP carryover but only a couple dozen people in the country would recognize what I am referring to. And most of them probably don't remember anymore...:D

sometimes, we need to "reinvent the wheel" so we don't confuse one wheel with another, but sometimes people do it just to sound cool...or think they do.

Is a "front stuffer" the same as a "smoke pole." I've never heard those terms used by a confirmed blackpowder shooter.
Yep sure are the same!
I don't shoot BP anymore (too dangerous)but - back when I did, we used those two terms - - every bit as often as centerfire rifle uses, referred to their sticks that thunder as - - sticks that thunder :D :D :D

I respectfully submit that there's a difference between cliché and jargon. A cliché is just a phrase that's so over-used that it becomes boring. Jargon is "insider baseball" -- technical or pseudo-technical words that typically are only understood by those "in the know."

^^^Yes.

Jargon

Jargon is the specialized terminology associated with a particular field or area of activity. Jargon is normally employed in a particular communicative context and may not be well understood outside that context. The context is usually a particular occupation, but any ingroup can have jargon.

Cliché
Description
A cliché or cliche is an expression, idea, or element of an artistic work which has become overused to the point of losing its original meaning or effect, even to the point of being trite or irritating, especially when at some earlier time it was considered meaningful or novel.

My dad was an electrician. Whenever he tried to explain to any of us what was going on with the television or anything else electrical, he would start with his electrical Jargon and lose us as we rolled our eyes and nodded our heads in false agreement.

As I said, as long as understand what folks are talking about I don't have an issue. Being in residential construction most of my life I understood many folks either did not understand the jargon or misused it. You learned to go with the flow. If folks wanted to call their balusters spindles, I went with it. No real need to correct the customer and try to impress them with your superior knowledge. This is what I see from a lot of folks that insist on using gun jargon. They feel a need to impress others with their knowledge, thus, the continuous arguments over commonly, sometimes incorrectly, used phrases and words. My ol' man hit the beaches of Iwo, Tinian and Saipan at 18-19 years of age. He hunted deer till the age of 85. Till the day he died, he called the magazine for his 740 a clip, and the rifle he called his Remmie. Didn't bother me a bit back then, don't bother me now.

Ah, I still like "spray n pray" with Your "bottom feeder". I guess it depends on what jargon it is. The term spray and pray got me kicked off one gun forum.

Okay, I'll agree on "boolits".
I hate it.

Earlier this year, on another forum, I was run up the flag pole and exiled for sharing my feelings on that ridiculously stupid, intentional misspelling, used only by people that feel some unfounded sense of superiority by doing so.

They may cast "boolits" with their heads up their ... trousers.
But I only cast bullets.

Hal said:
trousers.... I don't know why that irritates me - but it does...probably something from my childhood....

FrankenMauser said:
... trousers.

Interesting. I didn't know this was a peeve.

I associate the terms "pants" with women and children. The suits I wore when very young had short "pants" and wearing trousers was associated with being a man.

Hal, this may be a lingering impression from my childhood as well. I was always embarrassed to wear shorts when the adults all had trousers, and wool knee socks are itchy before one grows leg hair.

trousers.... I don't know why that irritates me - but it does...probably something from my childhood....

Would that be considered jargon or a cliché?

I always had an issue with the phrase "feminine napkins".......:eek:

Like, I'm sorry, they ain't no napkin.....

boolits: a way to get around work IT filters which flag the proper spelling. It's been a real thing for over a decade. Same for some of the other "misspellings". Unfortunately too many who didn't know just ran with it.

Front stuffer, smoke pole, smoke belcher, charcoal burner, etc. descriptive colloquial jargon.

Hi Cap: B.S. "Hopolophobe" made up term for over 10 round capacity. M1 Carbine 15 round is really Standard Capacity. Same for Ruger P89 mags, S&W 59 were 12 round. M2 Carbine are 30 rounds and AR's can be 20 or 30 round and still remain STANDARD capacity.

"ASSAULT RIFLE": Well we all know where that one goes. Guess that the twits that latched on to that term don't know that a full blown M-14 or FN FAL's are full blown Battle Rifles.

"ASSAULT RIFLE": Well we all know where that one goes....

Assault rifle is a good example of what was once a valid term with a well understood definition and a clear historical origin. Adolf Hitler created it in 1944, but in the last couple decades it has been "stolen" or co-opted or what ever you want to call it, today the term is being LEGALLY applied to ALL semiautomatic rifles in my state.

When the Christmas carol "Deck the Halls" was written, "gay apparel" had NOTHING to do with anyone's sexual orientation, gay referred to bright and colorful, something happy and cheerful.

Ask anyone on the street today what "gay" means and I don't think bright an colorful will be their first response...:rolleyes:

When the Christmas carol "Deck the Halls" was written, "gay apparel" had NOTHING to do with anyone's sexual orientation, gay referred to bright and colorful, something happy and cheerful.

Ask anyone on the street today what "gay" means and I don't think bright an colorful will be their first response...:rolleyes:

Actually "gay" was used to describe young boys who prostituted themselves to male clients back in the same general time period as that classic Carol was written. So altho it was more commonly used to imply heterosexually unconstrained lifestyles, the homosexual reference was there, just not "out" like it is now, Go to any High School nowadays and the negative connotation of ''gay" is not a person's sexuality, but means "lame" or "stupid" and generally refers to something inanimate.

But.....now we are getting a long way from any thing gun related. Just sayin'.

When I was in college I figured out that there were a some words that they used to make the less educated look stupid. I've done my best to forget those words and to use more common terms in their place...

Tony

Every industry or field of interest has its own terminology, which might be a form of shorthand for those working/interested in that field or used to create an impression of expertise. My first job out of college was with a big NYC advertising agency. I was called a "Media Analyst". I was tasked with doing the research and writing a report for our client on the advertising being used, and the dollars being spent, by competitors in various media. Knowing that the client did not have familiarity with insider advertising lingo, I wrote the report using common English so it would be understood. My boss was furious, and told me to re-write the report using as many jargon words and acronyms as possible, with the intent of totally confusing the client. This way, the client would ask for explanations and make us seem more professional and technical that the subject matter really was. I've seen the same practice in virtually everything I have ever been involved in, from my 24 years in the Army, my post-Army years in health care administration, as well as my personal interests in motorcycling and firearms. No sense fighting it.

One of the things that bugs me about jargon, especially abbreviations (and particularly the recently made up ones) is many people not following the usual convention of English writing when using them.

The first time in a document a term is used, it should be the entire full term, written out, with the abbreviation. After that, using just the abbreviation is acceptable.

Some abbreviations and acronyms have been in use so long everyone knows what they are or mean, like RADAR. But, other newer terms (and many of them seem made up on the spot for ease of typing) should be explained ONCE, at least. You and I may finally get that BCG is bolt carrier group and LGS is Local Gun Shop from context, but we shouldn't HAVE to.

One of the things that bugs me about jargon, especially abbreviations (and particularly the recently made up ones) is many people not following the usual convention of English writing when using them.

The first time in a document a term is used, it should be the entire full term, written out, with the abbreviation. After that, using just the abbreviation is acceptable.

Some abbreviations and acronyms have been in use so long everyone knows what they are or mean, like RADAR. But, other newer terms (and many of them seem made up on the spot for ease of typing) should be explained ONCE, at least. You and I may finally get that BCG is bolt carrier group and LGS is Local Gun Shop from context, but we shouldn't HAVE to.
Where's the like button on this forum?

It might have to do with the Internet.

Before, you'd take a class with Clint Smith (who by the way, says "run the gun") and he'd say that in a class. A class of 30 hears it and thinks nothing of it or only speaks to his or her friends and family about what they learned.

Today, so many instructors share small tidbits on YouTube and other platforms so the words get around to mass numbers A LOT more adequately.

It's just the times.

For the most part the words and phrases that are causing a bruhaha are being used by fellow shooters and gun owners. I usually know what information they are trying to convey. I just enjoy their stories or information they are sharing. Keep your powder dry and shoot straight, peace out.

For the most part the words and phrases that are causing a bruhaha are being used by fellow shooters and gun owners.

I must disagree with you here; many are used by those who would restrict our rights and end up as part of the jargon used by fellow shooters. There is a reason there are a subset of owners known as Fudd's. It is going to hurt the feelings of many here but Parker Otto Ackley is one of the original Fudd's and put it in print in his second manual*.

* If challenged AGAIN on this point I will once again type out verbatim with FULL ATTRIBUTION his words as I have done before under Fair Use Doctrine. Ref. Pg.s 120 & 121 if you have it.

Back