Treat Gun Criminals Like Sex Criminals!

As for imprisoning for 10 years carrying illegally, and for 2 strikes your out, better open your wallets - your taxes are going up. Your tax dollars pay my salary, and all the staff that work with me. The higher the custody, the more the staff, often by a factor of two to one.
I am all for more prison space - we are overcrowded as is - not as bad as Cali, but getting there. New prison construction costs big bucks.
Private prisons? Hah, you get RAPED money wise, and they have a MUCH higher escape total than we do, not good security, high staff turnover, lotsa lawsuits, that the state pays to defend. Your tax dollars at work.
So, if you want to play the lock 'em up and throw away the key routine, prepare to either pay higher taxes, or less services. Someone has to pay me, or I'll go hang in the unemployment line, too....your tax dollars at work.
I don't see a problem we use two time tested methods to warehouse violent crud. Out source to the private sector and off shore. Send them to privately run prisons in Mexico with a budget of $10/day per perp. Works for me.

Easiest way to stop gun crime would be to make carry permits shall issue and give 10 years mandatory to anyone who is convicted of illegal carry, on top of anyhting else.

I get skeptical whenever I see mandatory sentencing laws. You can't paint all who illegally carry with the same brush.

In Florida for example, it's legal to carry to a restaurant, but you can't go into the area which primarily serves alcohol, like the area around the bar. Suppose John Q. Citizen walks into a restaurant in Florida and accidently steps one step too close to the bar while looking for the restroom. He gets the same 10 years as some drug dealer running around in a schoolyard with a gun tucked in his waistband.

In Florida for example, it's legal to carry to a restaurant, but you can't go into the area which primarily serves alcohol, like the area around the bar. Suppose John Q. Citizen walks into a restaurant in Florida and accidently steps one step too close to the bar while looking for the restroom. He gets the same 10 years as some drug dealer running around in a schoolyard with a gun tucked in his waistband.

See? I told you. :)

WildifsupposemaybewhatifAlaska TM

sholling said:
I don't see a problem we use two time tested methods to warehouse violent crud. Out source to the private sector and off shore. Send them to privately run prisons in Mexico with a budget of $10/day per perp. Works for me.

Let me go through it again. Private prisons cost less in the short run, but are less secure, more violent, have far more escapes, and end up costing the state using them far more in tax dollars and citizen safety than if they simply built more real prisons and hired more real officers. http://www.azcorrections.gov/adc/reports/2005State_vs_private_cost_comparison.pdf States with long term private prisons are starting to go away from them. Law suits cost BIG bucks.
Second, we tried the prison in Mexico thing a few years back, to "outsource" all of the Mexican National inmates we have, (13.1% of AZ prison population as of Feb '08), and Mexico SCREAMED. Even with us paying for building it, and part of the staffing costs, it was considered an insult to thier sovereignty, and they refused to even consider it. We could have done it with them -they are not US citizens. For US citizens, that's not even an option - remember that bill of Rights thing? We do take that seriously, that 8th Amendment can be a lot of fun.
You can build a prison in Death Valley, and you can build one in Antartica - you still gotta staff it, and supply it. Remember, most of the things we have to do/have that sound silly to you are a direct result of activist judges and court orders we MUST follow.
So it goes back to what I said earlier, shell out if you want it.

Wild, I'm confused. You're in Alaska and you're suggesting shall-issue (which provides the possibility of "illegal carry") as a model for legalized concealed carry everywhere (else)? Are you implying Alaskanadians are superior, or something else I didn't catch?

Wild, I'm confused. You're in Alaska and you're suggesting shall-issue (which provides the possibility of "illegal carry") as a model for legalized concealed carry everywhere (else)? Are you implying Alaskanadians are superior, or something else I didn't catch?

Well now that you mention superiority :)

So let me ask you, whats wrong with Shall issue? We have it up here and it is IMHO far superior for the gun owner than carrying "no permit required" on an ifmaybesuppose basis...

WildimmyownspeciesAlaska ™

PA is already Shall Issue. I just got back from a week of carrying in the Philly area with my non res CCW with zero problems. Cost me $26, xerox copies of my DL and existing CCW, couple minutes to fill out a form, and a 41 cent stamp and it's good for 5 years. The problem with the Philly area isn't lack of availability of permits, but lack of inclination of people in that area to get them. While up there I introduced my inlaws to CCW. THEY HAD NEVER EVEN HEARD OF IT and they've lived there their whole lives!!! And they have long been fearful of their situation because of crime! There may be some kind of social stigma, lack of exposure, or something, but whatever it is it is largely the ignorance lack of will of the people and nothing more. I will make it my personal goal to see the whole family carrying. They at least got a fair look at things for the first time. They literally didn't know anyone who does or could.

The point is that you Alaskanucks have shall-issue primarily to achieve reciprocity and NICS check exemptions for those who want those benefits. Alaska itself is no-permit-needed. And then you say:
Easiest way to stop gun crime would be to make carry permits shall issue and give 10 years mandatory to anyone who is convicted of illegal carry, on top of anyhting else
So, do you think Alaska's laws are not optimal for stopping gun crime, because Alaska allows unlicensed concealed carry?

WA, you may dismiss it as a "what if", but there are hundreds, if not thousands of situations in which someone, especially travelling between states, can get caught up in fairly innocuous violations of thousands of varying carry laws, and varying interpretations of those carry laws, and automatically get a ten year sentence.

Anytime, you take the discretion from the judge, you're asking for trouble. If you think your judges are pantywaists for the way they treat criminals, get new ones.

The problem with the Philly area isn't lack of availability of permits, but lack of inclination of people in that area to get them.

Philadelphia does make it a hassle by where you have to go to get an application, when you can go, and other hoops they make you jump through. Also, many people still think that it is discretionary issue there because it was for so long and the city does not go out of its way to change that perception.

My solution would be that if the person was found guilty of either an extremely violent gun crime or sexual assault of a child take them to the back of the courthouse & solve the whole problem with the price of a bullet.

The point is that you Alaskanucks have shall-issue primarily to achieve reciprocity and NICS check exemptions for those who want those benefits.

No more NICs exemption btw. Primarily it is for recoprocity, practically it's for street convenience as we are a notification state.

So, do you think Alaska's laws are not optimal for stopping gun crime, because Alaska allows unlicensed concealed carry?

Yep.

WA, you may dismiss it as a "what if", but there are hundreds, if not thousands of situations in which someone, especially travelling between states, can get caught up in fairly innocuous violations of thousands of varying carry laws, and varying interpretations of those carry laws, and automatically get a ten year sentence.

Got any examples in say NY or Mass of the innocents being railroaded? Real examples not just netnoise ones.

Sorry, I don't buy your what if. Thats like smuggling ammo to Russia

WildwhatahorriddayAlaska ™

My solution would be that if the person was found guilty of either an extremely violent gun crime or sexual assault of a child take them to the back of the courthouse & solve the whole problem with the price of a bullet.

Gee, that adds a lot to the discussion:barf:

WildanotherexampleofwhygunownersgetlookeddownonAlaska ™

Roger Milnius is VERY progun

You meant John Milius and yes he's probably pro gun. He was a legendary maverick in hollywood and was supposedly the inspiration for John Goodman's character in the Big Lebowski.

On the original post: I haven't heard anything about this in Philly. If anything, they are routinely letting people caught on weapons charges off with nothing.

what happened to

the gun laws of if you had a gun illegally-5 years,use it in a crime-10 years,use it in a crime and a death occurs-25 to life??????????

I don't even know anybody in NY or Massachusetts.

I know people here, but I don't know anyone who's actually been convicted of illegal carry, with a permit. Any court that followed stare decisis would not convict you for something like accidentally exposing a concealed firearm. Even so, it's bad enough paying for bail and an attorney, without standing on the precipice looking down at 10 years and not being able to plea down. I have a kindergartener who would be driving when I got out. Honestly, I don't think I would carry at all if it meant taking a chance on 10 years in prison.

You may be right. If we give the state the power they'll probably use it wisely. I guess I just don't have enough faith in the system.

I think that is a great idea. The government is outsourceing a bunch of other stuff. Why not prison systems.

I explained that above, sorry. Or would you like to be sentanced to 6 months for jaywalking, and do your time in China's penal system?

I think that is a great idea. The government is outsourceing a bunch of other stuff. Why not prison systems.

Because the 2nd amendment isn't the only amendment. We've got one that makes cruel and unuasual punisment illegal too, ya know.

Back