Training my friend with a pump shotgun was a failure

If it's for self defense I go with the folk that are recommending a double action revolver. Get one big enough to dampen the recoil. Maybe something like a Ruger GP100 in .357 magnum and let him shoot .38 specials in it until he gets used to it, if he doesn't graduate to .357 magnum rounds that wouldn't be the worst thing either.

I wouldn't go with a J-Frame or any of the smaller revolvers and it's just a feeling from your description I wouldn't go with a single action revolver as I don't know that under pressure he'd remember to cock it...much better to have a DA where it's just point and pull the trigger.

The gun was for home defense. He is just physically weak from what I can see. He never told me anything about his disability or condition, I never asked him about it because it might seem rude and disrespectful.

He told me he bought the 870 because it was what the gunstore recommended to him for home defense.

12 gauge shotguns can hurt if you don't know how to properly absorb the recoil. From a bench, the force is transferred directly into the shoulder. Maybe a pistol grip might help so he doesn't have to shoulder the weapon? Maybe add a light or laser to air with aiming? They make mini shells now that have much milder recoil. The load is much lighter as well of course. https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/aguila-12-gauge-minishell-1-3-4-inch-buckshot-20/

The money has already been spent on the shotgun. Considering that it is probably new, he can probably get most of the value out of it. If he were to trade the gun, try and get a 4 inch revolver in 38 special. Revolvers do not require the hand strength that semi-auto pistols require. Hope this helps.

The gun was for home defense. He is just physically weak from what I can see.

He told me he bought the 870 because it was what the gunstore recommended to him for home defense.

Do you have some handguns he can try? Depending on his strength, a 38 revolver or 9mm pistol might be too much for him. Especially a semi-auto 9mm pistol because it requires a fair amount of strength just to rack the slide.

A 22 might be the way to go. Several companies make 22 revolvers. But make sure he has the strength to cock the hammer. He might or might not be able to shoot one double action.

In any case, it would be useful if he could try some of your handguns, if you have any.

I had a similar experience recently with my grandson.

He is heading to Army basic training, and I had just bought my first AR, so I invited him to get some range time with me. I also brought along a .45 ACP.

I was gobsmacked that he lacked the physical strength to safely load either weapon. He simply could not pull the bolt back on the AR, or rack the pistol.

His first day in Basic is today.

If arm strength is an issue, is he going to have the grip strength to pull the trigger on a revolver? I'd suggest a 10/22 or equivalent. It's not what the SEALS use, but it's what he can handle.

Like others have said, bench shooting a 12ga is far from ideal, for anyone. I wish you luck in getting him to try anything after that.

Don't give up the ship !!!

Wallabing

Training my friend with a pump shotgun was a failure

If I may ask, was there a particular purpose of goal that you had in mind when you took him out. I know you mentioned and pump shotgun but for what purpose? I don't see a hunting application but I could be wrong. I suspect it's more of the HD application and if so, you should not have a problem switching gears. Point is, don't give up. I have a friend that has neck problems and got rid of all his long-guns. I also have another friend that just got a pace-maker and when the doctor asked told him that it was going onto the right side and it got switched to the other side. … :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Ruger LCR .327. it has the best D/A trigger of any production line gun I've tried recently, holds six centerfire rounds and can be loaded with low, medium or high power rounds. he doesn't have to manipulate anything to get it into action, its either loaded and ready to go or it is not.

A .410 shotgun is still pretty deadly for 'close encounters'.

One way to reduce recoil...Is to use the 'push pull' method with the shotgun --- By pushing out with the support hand, and pulling in with the firing hand.

The gun was for home defense. He is just physically weak from what I can see. He never told me anything about his disability or condition, I never asked him about it because it might seem rude and disrespectful.

Did he mention his strength issue to the clerk? If not, it is on him; if yes it is kn them. In any event, a 12 pump does not seem to be a good thing for him. I'll second the poster about a 9mm carbine. The High Point does get good reviews I chose the RugerPCC - short, reasonably light and reasonable recoil to go with it AND it takes Glock 33 round mags

Another possibility . . . Ruger offers the LCP II in 22LR now.

Very easy to rack the slide. 10 +1 capacity.

Can be found for under $300.

wallabing: your friend has some serious physical issues. He can not properly hold nor operate the slide on a pump 870. He is in his 50's and has serious strength issues. I am on the short side of 5'4", blown back, over weight, and in the same age bracket. I can still run my Mossy 835 Viking with no fear or problems with full house loads.

Time to find out his disabilties, his cans and can nots. Then and only then can we make a serious and credible recommendation. I have a friend that has Brittle Bone Syndrome and is confined to a wheel chair. He has a Bersa Thunder that he can use and learned to be proficient with. His wife also learned to use it. Both are at a disadvantage physically ( she is ADA Little People herself) but both can handle their business if need be.

I've seen that before, though usually with females. I have also seen elderly subjects who could not manage the slide on an auto pistol. Strength can be an issue, so can stock fit. Bamawife, for example, cannot manage a shotgun, she's quite petite.

One of my instructor details I was fortunate to pull was instructing Bureau of Prisons (BOP) employees. Everybody learns to shoot 3 different weapons in the BOP: carbine, handgun and shotgun) We saw a lot of females who were not corrections officers but administrative. The 12 gauge just beat them up. You don't mention how the Remington is chambered, 12 or 20? A 20 might help w/ recoil a bit. A high dollar recoil pad might help some, as would a butt stock of the correct length. Strength.......pushups!!!!!!

Options:
-A double gun would be lighter and perhaps easier to handle, though less weight would accentuate recoil......but a double 20 coach gun could be an option.

-Forget the shotgun.....sell it and obtain a pistol caliber carbine. The manual of arms for a lever carbine is a bit complicated to the newbie,but another option. A HiPoint auto carbine in 9mm is affordable, and the dang things run too.

My BOP detail showed me that the shotgun is not for everybody. If we could get the trainee to understand sights and trigger with the handgun, they invariably aced the carbine. One advantage is that the auto carbine operates somewhat like a handgun, with a box mag, safety, etc.

But the pump shotgun was just too much for some folks. A kicker, longer and heavy, and a manual of arms all its own.
A lot of qualifying days, I felt the need to use 3" 0buck for qualifying. It was always comical. We shot 3" slugs one day. That was a hoot.
The Chief wanted "managed recoil" ammo, but I made sure to place order when distributor was out of it.

Last edited:
post #33 says it.

what exactly are his physical disorders? without knowing his own limitations you really can't help him make an informed decision.

Copied from first page-----

I've seen that before, though usually with females. I have also seen elderly subjects who could not manage the slide on an auto pistol. Strength can be an issue, so can stock fit. Bamawife, for example, cannot manage a shotgun, she's quite petite.

I bet your friends stock is to long... and he has a worn out/torn shoulder.

Not sure if this helps, but I have helped several people, females, and males learn to shoot..I don’t go macho on them,,, I start them with an old Ranger,,, it was a Savage , I think,,,22. It’s a semi,,,,,with a nice scope... It’s a heavy gun, so we always start from a rest....virtually no recoil at all, They are usually hitting the targets on the first magazine . And they all have said “wow, I didn’t know shooting a gun would be this easy and fun!” Every one of them has come back asking to shoot more,,,and then also they start asking about other guns..I always let them try low recoil guns... I have a few 22 pistols that are really nice, easy to sight, and accurate. Many times I have gotten a confirmed shooter.
Main thing I am saying is “don’t go macho on them”. Start them out with a light recoil gun and let them have fun.

You might try a Rossi RS22 which is a lightweight 22 caliber semi auto rifle and its very cheap. Its' a pea shooter, for sure, but it could be right for your friend. It's a clone of the Mossberg 702 Plinkster.

Please encourage him to go to gym. A mental and physical win... After 50, most of us start to deteriorate. I am 71 and am going too fast due to arthritis. Everything movable HURTS. Life has never been fair! If no gym option, add muzzle brake to 870 or trade 870 on an M4 clone. My wife cannot rack a slide back on a SA XD 45. It's even tough for me. So, I bought here a Glock, revolver and M4 type clone. She is now a happy camper. But, even with all these new firearms, she still has to train how to reload. So will your buddy!

Back