Top ten list for surviving a gunfight

This is an excellent discussion and I'm glad that it has mostly focused on the OP's original intent (LEO training).

I do think that maintaining the 4 rules of safety should be at the very top of the list. Even if I were killed in a gunfight, I would not want one of my bullets to have taken out an innocent bystander. But that's just my priority.

I've learned a lot here.

You are right, Mike 1234, . . . but that was Rooster Cogburn.

Chicken Cogburn said, "He who fights and runs away, may live to fight another day." :D

May God bless,
Dwight

Not that I believe anymore but...

If you have a robe and no sword then you'd better sell your robe to buy a sword... it's better to be naked and armed than clothed and disarmed.

Lots of good advise so far, but let me add a few. 1- Avoid a fight whenever you can. 2- If you can't avoid a fight, you pick the time and place 3- Be as careful as you can, but remember the winner will usually be the one who took the fight to his enemy. 4- The person who can keep their whits when everyone else doesn't will generally win every time.

My thoughts,

Stop bleeding should be first priority once cover is reached. The most preventable cause of death in combat is bleeding. Learn combat basic combat first aid and carry a blow out kit.

A basic rule I found to be true: What you get out of the car with is what you have for the fight. If you carry light or carry the wrong gear you will know it.

Do you do situational training at your department? Can you get them to offer some IDPA type stages? Most cops would think it fun and it might just stimulate some brain cells.

Great feedback

I was away at training, and busy at work, so am just now checking the thread again.

Many of the comments relate to what I would call "strategy" rather than "tactics" (i.e., "Don't get into a gunfight"). Sound advice, but a bit beyond the scope of what I'm trying to accomplish with the list.

The basic behavior that defines a warrior is knowing what you need to do, then going out and doing it. These tips are just something to feed the lizard brain to keep you alive long enough so you can think of a solution (I guess that defines most training).

I have modified the list somewhat:

-changed "fire superiority" to "return fire": Same concept, but toned down due to the context in which we work;

-I'm going to be more specific on "tactical advantage", but I haven't figured it out yet;

-I'm adding 3 to the list: Aim for pelvis hits if body armor is suspected; Something about situational awareness; Know the difference between cover and concealment (especially offensively).

About the "radio won't save your life", clearly one needs to communicate and report. The point is, when the situation is getting hairy, to use the old platitude, backup is minutes away when seconds count.

All of these tips are highly situational, and don't apply to every incident, but, to use another old platitude, the exception proves the rule.

I wanted to keep each tip very short, but might add some detail, and even consolidate some (like the ones relating to cover/concealment).

I don't think I am going to distribute it as a list in class, because it is not policy or doctrine (and we labor under those constraints as instructors, which is probably a good thing...). I plan to use it as discussion points before we head out to the range.

Something I've been munching over as I've read this thread, and thought awhile about is the importance of getting a long arm into play.

I've read about some LE deaths in shootouts and keep coming back to the thought of
"If that poor guy could have gotten his patrol carbine or riot gun working, he might have came out alive."

Therefore, I suppose situational awareness is critical in that if you can anticipate the situation prior to shots being fired, perhaps you can achieve the critical edge and bring your long arm into play.

Your 27 item list of things to remember before and during a gunfight applies to training.

Once the fight starts, you may utilize SOME of the principles relevent to your specific problem, but you won't be thinking about most of them.

1. Shoot Back. You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight, so make your shots count.

2. Get to cover. This helps you not get shot.

3. You will probably get shot. Keep fighting.

Keep it simple.

Another thing I've been pondering on is the level of aggression displayed in the fight.

Be aggressive; win. Something that was drilled into my head repeatedly at WLC was "A bad plan executed violently now is better than a good plan later."

As an LEO, I agree with the other posters that make rule #1
1. Avoid a gunfight!
2. If you are not an LEO and you have to deploy combat tactics like
those being being referred to in this thread in a "blue" state, don't
worry too much, you and your attacker can finish the fight in the "yard" at the county lock-up with a large, cheering audience

After 28 years in Law Enforcement, and many of them as a trainer, and firearms instructor, the most important item that I have not seen on the lists, (old eyes, I could have missed it. :eek: is "a WINNING MINDSET. Determining that you are going to WIN at all costs, and go home at the end of the day is paramount. I have instilled this mindset in many of my officers before retiring. I will not let some scumbag win, I will do whatever is necessary to survive. This mindset will cause you to wear your body armor, train, study tactical scenarios, learn to shoot tactically, etc. Like I used to tell the kids in the police academy in the first couple of days, the most important tool you have is your BRAIN.
PS, this should apply to anyone who is a CCW holder with certain adjustments.

My .002

Keep it simple.

jgcoastie got it right IMO. When training something as 'primal' as survival, keep your training simple. If I can throw my two scents in as far as the presentation go, break it up into sections and consolidate your points. Day time/night time, casualties/no casualties, open terrain vs. close quarter and the like. Elaborate a little, then train train and train some more. Classroom time is great but when you look for 101 points, much of the useful information will be lost in translation. Don't be vague, but get the simple things established, point out whats right/wrong, and let the questions from the trainees flow. I can't tell you how many times a 'boot' got flustered over something like a simple patrol formation because insignificant points were stressed.

"Powerpoint makes us stupid"
-General James Mattis.

Also, I agree with War Elephant. The winning mindset has been around for a long time. Theres a reason for famous prewar speeches. One more thing I'd like to add that I've noticed with many LEO's, is physical conditioning. While in the military, I was never a PT stud. But looking at some LEO's, they really need to hit the gym. When you start getting shot at, everything in your body goes into overdrive. This will greatly hinder your ability to move and mentally handle a situation if not physically able to do so in normal conditions. Not being in some sort of decent shape is pretty big sign of not being in the right mindset. I realize not every agency is a SWAT team, but if you're in a position to carry a gun and be responsible for your life as well as others, I'd think this would be of some sort of priority to an agency.

Last edited:
Back