To carry chambered or not?

If I had any qualms about carrying in a fashion that put Junior & the Twins in the line of fire from a ND, the Safe-T-Blok would be my answer. You should at least try it, you'll be surprised. You can use the set screw in the back to make it tighter until you become more comfortable with that mode of carrying.

.01 (I'm fried, end of day)

Dave

Got to say that I respect and deeply appreciate all the comments. I especially appreciate Will Beararms because it runs counter to the rest.

My main concern was that I had missed something. Apparently, I have not. I am carrying and will continue to carry chambered.

Again, many thanks.

Intent

A bluff with a weapon is a bad idea. However, presenting your weapon and then deciding not to fire is not the same as a 'bluff'. If someone is prepared to fire their weapon, then where's the 'bluff'? I agree in the sense that, if you're not prepared to do what carrying a firearm could possibly involve, then maybe you shouldn't carry it.

The strongest argument for condition one, IMHO, is that it takes 2 hands to get the weapon ready from cond. three. If your weapon is unsafe in condition one, then maybe a new weapon is in order.

Respectfully,

- gabe

PS: As far as blowing holes in yourself goes, I wonder how many of the MD's 'victims' were just Darwin Award candidates and how many were victims of failed hardware.

Matt VDW:

Suffice it to say that I will be assesing the situation up to the point where the slide is cycled. If the weapon is presented a shot will ensue. I will never draw to bluff. That having been said, given the choice of fight or flight, I will take the flight option everytime.

Will:

I have to disagree with you when you say "if I present a weapon a shot will be fired." More than a few perps will decide to be elsewhere if their intended victim draws a gun. I am not saying that you should count on that. No way. But if the perp sees me in the act of drawing, turns and starts running away, I'm probably not going to shoot him in the back.

I agree that bluffing is a bad idea. If you are not justified in using deadly force and are not willing to use deadly force then you should not present a firearm. But deciding not to shoot because the situation has changed is not bluffing.

M1911

As a Kahr-D Carrying CCW...

I have always felt a bit uneasy about the lack of a trigger safety device on my K9. Even before I had seen or heard of the Safe-T-Block gizmo, I fabricated snug trigger block pieces out of half-inch closed-cell foam (gray industrial carpet padding) for not only my Kahr but a 'nightstand' revolver that sleeps on my wife's side of the bed. Stiff poly foam would probably work too. Five minutes with an exacto knife and you have a nice snug safety wedge to put behind your trigger, but which can be popped out with a fingertip at need.
A one-inch square of this stuff is cheap insurance against an absent-minded or ignorant chance handler of the gun, and is a long way from the $17 cost (and apparent non-availability for Kahr pistols) of the bespoke Safe-T-Block.
The semi-rigid foam trigger block makes me confident in carrying chambered with a DA mini-pistol, even in a pocket or wb, where this old 1911 shooter always felt a bit queasy and uneasy' about it before.
As for carrying unchambered, if that's your choice I see little wrong with it. If you insist on preparing for the worst case scenario, you can do otherwise. Everyone has to balance safety concerns as he sees fit. Most of the older generation pocket pistols, like the classic Colt's, were habitually carried with chamber empty. It doesn't really take that long to rack the slide as you draw your pistol; it shouldn't take the Mossad to validate this carry option.

Back