tisas 1911 part(s) breakage

A tube through a flat plate seems not a good choice for MIM. It looks like what contractors have been fabricating for many years.

I have three Tisas 1911s, each with about 400 rounds through them.
For whatever reason a while back, I changed out all the recoil spring guides with Wilson combat units.
They are much more stout than the Tisas provided ones.
I am very impressed with these pistols in and I am enjoying them.

"buy American"

I had a hot post planned in response to this comment, but have withheld most of it so as to not violate forum rules and get too political, however:

-I will spend my money when and on whatever I please & my safe is full of
"American" firearms

-using this logic, all Glock, SIG, Berretta, Krieghoff, Perazzi, Browning (FN),etc
shooters have got it wrong too

-ammo brands Federal, Speer, Remington and Fioccchi are now owned by a
Czech company, you better only shoot Winchester

-your Ford or Chevy is full of Made in Mexico parts better not drive one

-Walmart is full of stuff Made in China, no shopping there

parts installed

New Wilson recoil spring guide rod, (short one piece variety) and a new Wilson 16llb spring installed. The new Wilson spring is notably longer than the OEM spring with near 1500 rds on it, like 1-1/8" longer. I suspect the OEM spring is shot out and a major contributor to the part breakage.

The Wilson "bullet proof" guide rod appears to be one solid milled piece and should more correctly be labled "bomb proof". Really quality item with a bit of heft to it as well.

Ran 50 rounds of mixed 230 gr hardball and reload "softball" through the Tisas today, ran like a champ, Wilson mags.

Last edited:
To my surprise, I discovered that the original Ordnance Department design for the guide rod was a one-piece fabrication -- but hollow. I always thought the guide rod and head were a press fit through the flange.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Guide_Rod.jpg
    Guide_Rod.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 112
OEM

The Tisas OEM guide rod is hollow and interestingly, open at both ends. There is a pronounced radius at the forward end to facilitate the spring collapsing over the guide rod. I have looked at the thing carefully, even with a glass, and cannot say as to whether it is one piece or two.

I suspect however, since it is hollow and open on both ends, Tisas took a piece of tubing, cut appropriate radius on both ends, then swaged or riveted the flange in place. Note: speculation only. It may well be one piece, I just can't determine. But if it is indeed two pieces, that would seem a faster way of making the part. Stamping out the flange (might explain the "divots"), cutting the tubing, and attaching the two. Possibly one of the difference in a $300 pistol as opposed to one costing 3X more.

I think literally every part in the M1911 was a machined forging.
Specs were changed on some parts over time- cast slide stops were allowed in the '80s!
Advertising says every part in a new Tisas 1911 is machined, no cast or MIM, but I don't know when that change was made.

Specs were changed on some parts over time- cast slide stops were allowed in the '80s!
Advertising says every part in a new Tisas 1911 is machined, no cast or MIM, but I don't know when that change was made.
Biggest change was between 2022 an 2023. They changed as they used up parts on hand to there is no single date. But by 2023 dated guns almost everything was forged.

Biggest change was between 2022 an 2023. They changed as they used up parts on hand to there is no single date. But by 2023 dated guns almost everything was forged.
Forging is how the receivers of M1 Garands were made. Old School durability.

As the M1 pros say, “cast don’t last.”

RickB said:
Whose specs were changed in the 1980s? The last USGI M1911A1s were manufactured in 1945.

They were buying spare parts well up into the 1980s.

To my surprise, I discovered that the original Ordnance Department design for the guide rod was a one-piece fabrication -- but hollow. I always thought the guide rod and head were a press fit through the flange.

I thought so, too. The 1942 spec was turned out of bar stock on a Swiss screw lathe, but I rashly assumed they went to a fabricated part to save money, kind of like the stamped trigger. Nope.

Interesting (to me) on the guide rod being a one-piece spec (not to say any or all are made that way nowadays).

I've seen (but not me personally, yet) firing pin stops broken. I've seen a slide or two broken. I had one Kimber recoil rod's flange pounded quite a bit, whereas I filed it smoother a couple of times, but it hasn't as yet broken.

I've never had a 1911 mag catch break out of a few brands. I suppose Post 35's mag catch had some voids, or was brittle, and the vibration may have fractured it and was just bad MIM.

I've had previously cracked revolver grips which came with those guns bought used.
I've had 1911 sights break/fracture; slide stop lobes break; bent firing pin; broken plunger tube pin; mag feed lips spread out too far; even fractured mag springs (bad batch replaced by Tripp Research); and I had one 1911 Commander frame develop a crack, replaced by Colt under warranty.

Any 1911 can have breakages is my point, and Wilson-Combat is also my go-to company for good spare parts, but have used some other brands, too, over the years (like EGW or Ed Brown).

I can't help but agree with 44 Amp's opinion on the "tap/rack/bang" reflexive drill should a squib be the cause. For some of us ingrained with that training it can take a quick reflex also to stop oneself from "tap/rack/banging" should the sound/feel of a squib be suspected. I'm all but sure many at my public shooting ranges probably aren't even trained or familiar with that drill (it's ok to be a more or less casual shooter, btw. At least they're out there and not everybody is interested in being the tactical/combat guy).

Yes but...
Tisas M1911 A1 CMP Specs:

Caliber: 45 ACP
Barrel Length: 5 Inches
Accurate reproduction of WWII issued 1911
United States Property marked
Manganese Phosphate Slide, Frame & small parts
Reprofiled Ejection Port
Type E Hammer
(2) 7 round magazines
(2) sets of grips including Accurate reproduction brown plastic grips, and walnut double diamond checkered grips
MSRP: $479.99

Why, oh why can't they cut a GI ejection port? Shouldn't Imitation Army Surplus be as correct as possible short of using other companies' trademarks?

Yes but...
Tisas M1911 A1 CMP Specs:

Caliber: 45 ACP
Barrel Length: 5 Inches
Accurate reproduction of WWII issued 1911
United States Property marked
Manganese Phosphate Slide, Frame & small parts
Reprofiled Ejection Port
Type E Hammer
(2) 7 round magazines
(2) sets of grips including Accurate reproduction brown plastic grips, and walnut double diamond checkered grips
MSRP: $479.99

Why, oh why can't they cut a GI ejection port? Shouldn't Imitation Army Surplus be as correct as possible short of using other companies' trademarks?
Actually I understand the reprofile is from the larger opening to the original GI specs.

This quote is from the comments if you scroll down the article:
“ They are parkerized. Only early ones were cerakoted. These newer ones are more accurate reproductions. They have the smaller ejection port like originals and Remington Rand style hammer and other parts. The big thing was getting the ejection port right. No other company I am aware of does that. Tisas is really making a nice piece.”

I see the comment but the picture shows the usual barn door opening.
That image is a 2022 pistol. They simply used an old stock photo it seems and no one caught the error. Look at the serial number. The two digits after the dash are the year code.

Oh, OK, one of those "just like" pictures that we see sometimes.

So "reprofiled ejection port" means reprofiled to look like the originals we originally reprofiled away from. Got it.

Back