tisas 1911 part(s) breakage

I've broken the corner from a flange, but it was a plastic part in a 10mm; not something I'd expect of a metal part, unless, as noted, there's an uneven bearing surface.

I took the picture but cannot get it to post here. I don't understand, I routinely put pictures up on THR.

I compared its length and it is shorter than one I have, so I don't know what battered the tip on yours. Unless you had one of those Tom type whingy dingy springs rattling around in there.

How’s this:
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1942.jpeg
    IMG_1942.jpeg
    621.8 KB · Views: 189
Something weird going on with the back. Looks like there are two divots stamped into it and it appears that it broke along the lines of the divots. I don't know what purpose those stampings/divots serve. I think they don't need to be there.

Also, looking at the front of the guide, it seems that the surface is uneven or maybe the thickness varies a lot, comparing the wear marks.

Something weird going on with the back. Looks like there are two divots stamped into it and it appears that it broke along the lines of the divots. I don't know what purpose those stampings/divots serve. I think they don't need to be there.

I was curious about those myself as I have 2 Tisas, a 10mm and a 45. I stripped both down to inspect them and neither one of mine have those dimples.

Bought a Tisas near GI Clone. Mag catch broke in less than 50 rounds through the gun. It's MIM, of course, and I knew that when I purchased the gun. Like most bad MIM, the part broke early. The company sent me a replacement mag catch. I no longer own that particular gun but do still own the "Duty" model.

My Duty model double fires about every 7th round. There is a current “recall” for hammers following the slide but my serial number isn’t included on the list. Tisas customer service hasn’t impressed me. Will take it to my own smith so he can make it safe for using.

My Duty model double fires about every 7th round. There is a current “recall” for hammers following the slide but my serial number isn’t included on the list. Tisas customer service hasn’t impressed me. Will take it to my own smith so he can make it safe for using.
Sounds like a Chi-Com MIM part going janky. You want U.S.-made tool steel only.

Tisas, and presumably their parts, are made in Turkey. Turkish steel may or may not be especially good quality. I can't find any good information on the topic.

Tool steel is a bad choice for most gun parts--probably for any of them, truth be told.

The U.S. is not the only country that can make good quality steel.

And Turkey isn't the only country that makes MIM parts for firearms that occasionally break.

Kimber uses a lot of MIM in their 1911s -- so much that they have earned the nickname "Mimber." A few years ago there was a run of Kimber 1911s that had the hammers break. MIM part. Bad batch? Probably ... there are hundreds of thousands of 1911s out there with MIM hammers, yet breakage is rare.

Bought a Tisas near GI Clone. Mag catch broke in less than 50 rounds through the gun. It's MIM, of course, and I knew that when I purchased the gun. Like most bad MIM, the part broke early. The company sent me a replacement mag catch. I no longer own that particular gun but do still own the "Duty" model.
How can you tell if a part is MIM? Do newer Colts, Rugers and S&Ws have MIM parts? I wonder how many MIM parts are in a commercial air liner or in the brakes or steering components (or other critical systems) of a car?

Back