Tips for shipping handgun to manufacter with UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneloudvous

I need to send my recently purchased (used) STI BLS 9 in for some warranty work.

Does anyone have tips on how to make sure it gets there and back to me smoothly?

Thanks.

Does anyone have tips on how to make sure it gets there and back to me smoothly?

Pack it well. Unloaded, needless to say.

Take it to the UPS office, not a shipping store. Tell them it's an unloaded firearm that needs to go the the manufacturer for service. Send it "next Day Saver". Insured for value.

Obfuscate the manufacturer's name. Ex. Instead of "Ruger", use "S.R. &Co, attn service". Instead of "Kel Tec", use "KT-CNC Service Dept.". This helps keep people from being tempted.

I've never had a problem doing this.

All of what lee n field said is good.
Also check out Fed-Ex.
I have found them to be priced lower on the insurance.

I always attach a tag to the gun giving the my contact info and where the gun is being shipped to just in case something happens to the shipping box.

I checked into it about a year ago.

I use FedEx Express Saver for shipping handguns.

UPS was REAL expensive, plus you'll have to go to a "hub," not a regular UPS Store.

UPS was REAL expensive, plus you'll have to go to a "hub," not a regular UPS Store.

I have had to send guns back to S&W, Beretta, and Sig. Each time I was sent a UPS shipping label with a scheduled pickup right to my home.

"I have had to send guns back to S&W, Beretta, and Sig. Each time I was sent a UPS shipping label with a scheduled pickup right to my home."

Maybe it varies state to state.

After reading a lot of misinformation on the net, I decided to call UPS and FedEx to get the facts. UPS told me handguns had to be shipped by air (maybe second day), and their prices were very high. FedEx told me I could use Express Saver, about $30 +/- coast to coast.

I wanted to add that my previous posts were in regards to shipping to a FFL holder, NOT a manufacturer.

That might make a difference with UPS.

"A manufacturer is an FFL holder."

And all FFL holders aren't manufacturers. I thought that UPS might have different shipping options and rates when Joe Public ships to a manufacturer. I don't know.

I JUST sent my STI back,

CALL STI!!!!!, they will sent you a shipping label,
Put it in its original plastic case, put that in a cardboard box.
Take it to UPS, (not a satellite) and Drop it off.
It doesn't cost a time, no FFL need, for sending it to the original manufacture.
You don't' have to explain, just drop it off and track it.

A local FFL also happens to be a UPS shipper. They ship all handguns and long guns ground, usually for around $15. It is not necessary to ship air or 2nd day.

And all FFL holders aren't manufacturers.
Doesn't matter on your end. Since they are an FFL, you can ship to them just as you would ship to any FFL.
I thought that UPS might have different shipping options and rates when Joe Public ships to a manufacturer.
They don't care where you're shipping it as long as it's a legal destination (FFL holder) and you follow their policies for shipping firearms.
A local FFL also happens to be a UPS shipper. They ship all handguns and long guns ground, usually for around $15. It is not necessary to ship air or 2nd day.
It is not a legal requirement to ship air or 2nd day. Those are the policies of the shipping company. If you can convince the shipper to let you ship it ground then it would be perfectly legal for you to ship it ground. If the shipping company won't let you ship it ground, then you're stuck unless you can find another shipper that will let you ship it ground.

As I understood there are Fed laws, UPS regs and maybe state laws .All should be followed. Fast service asked by UPS was to minimize their handling time to minimize theft !!

This is confusing. From what others have posted here, and from what UPS told me on the phone, it appears that UPS has different firearm shipping policies in different places.

Then again, it might have been one of those deals where you can ask two people who work for the same company the same question and get two different answers.

"Fast service asked by UPS was to minimize their handling time to minimize theft !!"

Their "reasons" result in raising the price.

Oh good grief.........

Carmady
"I have had to send guns back to S&W, Beretta, and Sig. Each time I was sent a UPS shipping label with a scheduled pickup right to my home."

Maybe it varies state to state.
It does not. See the link to UPS tariffs in the "Shipping Firearms" sticky.

chris in va A local FFL also happens to be a UPS shipper. They ship all handguns and long guns ground, usually for around $15. It is not necessary to ship air or 2nd day.
FFL's don't get a pass on UPS tariffs. If your local dealer is shipping handguns via Ground he is doing so in violation of UPS tariffs.

And if it runs $15 he isn't insuring those packages.:eek:

Carmady This is confusing. From what others have posted here, and from what UPS told me on the phone, it appears that UPS has different firearm shipping policies in different places.
It's only confusing because you didn't read the "Shipping Firearms" sticky I linked to above. In that sticky are links to UPS/FedEx/USPS policies and tariffs that are clear and easy to understand.

UPS doesn't have different policies in different places...........what leads you to believe that are all the anecdotal stories in this thread. Just because someone posts "just drop it off at the UPS Store" doesn't make it right.

FFL's don't get a pass on UPS tariffs. If your local dealer is shipping handguns via Ground he is doing so in violation of UPS tariffs.

I seriously doubt that as it is Kentucky Gun Company. They are a major distributor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back