Tikka 6.5 cm

Dranrab,
I never said you couldn't use H4350 in the 6.5 Manbun.
Just that his comparison was invalid.

It's only Monday, but that is the best thing I will read this week! I really hope that takes off... I know I'm going to start using it... you think Hornady will go for a sub-section of their marketing strategy for it...?

Willing to jump on the bandwagon for "the latest, greatest".

The 260 Rem will shoot just fine in an AR10 rifle. But if you want to shoot the long match weight bullets, they have to be seated real deep to fit in the AR magazines.
So someone shortened the case and gave it a little less taper. With the shorter case the bullet can sit out further and still fit the mag.

The Creed offers no advantage over the 260Rem when put in a bolt gun.
But the manufacturers jumped on it.
All advertising hype.

The 260 Rem will shoot just fine in an AR10 rifle. But if you want to shoot the long match weight bullets, they have to be seated real deep to fit in the AR magazines.
So someone shortened the case and gave it a little less taper. With the shorter case the bullet can sit out further and still fit the mag.

The Creed offers no advantage over the 260Rem when put in a bolt gun.
But the manufacturers jumped on it.
All advertising hype.
The really interesting part is that Hornady--which had a direct hand in developing the creed--rolled out it's 6.5 PRC, which will likely kill the creed off IMO in long run if it proves to be just as easy to shoot. Slightly blown out case to make a "mini-mag"--it's back to the future! I have both the creed and 260 rem in AR10 platforms--I can't detect any practical difference between the two in my average shooting applications. Like you say--the creed gives you a scosh more room for the extra long pointy things.

I think this has a lot to do with it for me. I don't think the 6.5cm isn't a good round. I think it's a great one and has a lot to offer.

But what I've heard so many dudes saying (and hence the 6.5 Manbun thumbs-up), is that it is perfect for everything, displaces the need for every other time-tested cartridge. "It's just better, man!" ...as they roll their eyes at my ignorance. These are guys who before have only ever shot .22s, shotguns and 5.56/.223 ARs.

In all fairness, I am talking about 5-10 real life encounters, certainly not the entire population. But those experiences, tied in with the hype and the magazine salesmen.. ahem! writers... it's a lot to take in stride.

Wendyj,

I just noticed in your post on Feb 10th that you were surprised that the velocity of your factory ammo was 50 fps slower than listed on the box.

There are variations on powder lots that might account for some of that.

Also temperature differences between the 59 degree temps used for most powder specs and the temperature of the ammo when you shot it can easily account for 50 fps.

The other day, at 24 degrees, my ammo lost 60 fps in measured velocity over what was marked.

Aberdeen proving grounds in testing .308 ammo found that the muzzle velocity drops about 1.7 fps per degree F.

Also, if your chronograph was 10 feet from the muzzle, the velocity would be about 6 fps slower at the chrono than at the muzzle. If it were further away, the loss would be increase slightly.

Back