Tikka 6.5 cm

Wendyj

I never thought I'd get into the 6.5 craze but found a Tikka CTR with muzzle break and Vortex Viper HS today. 24 inch barrel verses my other CTR that had a 20 inch. Got it and 2 boxes of Winchester match and 2 boxes of federal match so I will have brass to reload after I get dies. Hope it warms up to get back to the range soon. Got 3 Tikkas to zero in and load for. Had the 7-08 and 7 mag. Now the 6.5. I'm going to try this one stock but will a new chassis help in the long run??

Let us know how it does. I heard that Tikka is making the Left hand T3 Lite Stainless in a 6.5 Creedmoor. If so I wouldn't mind to try one, being that I am wanting to go left handed and a lighter rifle.

Are the Tikka's really what everyone says they are as far as value for the money and accuracy?

I've had 6 and 2 Sakos. I've never had better out of box accuracy. Sakos built a little better but same barrel on both. I can't tell the difference. Slick bolt.

Reloader 15 is your friend for the 130 grain bullets. One hole groups with anything better than mediocre bullets are not hard to do. 140 grain of heavier calls out for 8208XBR. I like the 130 in my rifle as I get a more forgiving accuracy node that gives more velocity, and smaller groups than the heaver bullets give.

Thanks for the info, I have been eyeing the Tikka for a few years, but just have never bought one in the Left Hand Version yet. I think I was waiting on a good, milder recoil cartridge to come along, and wham, here comes the 6.5 Creedmoor. I had actually been thinking .270 or .308, but figured recoil was pretty stiff in such a light rifle. I am not afraid of recoil, but in my older years I just don't care about getting beat up anymore from the 7 Mags and 300 WIN Mags. I could be wrong but I would suppose shooting a light weight 6.5 Creedmoor wouldn't be too punishing.

I had a 260 in the Ctr and it’s recoil was near to nothing. You would love the Tikka. Euro optics has best deals on new ones I’ve seen in a long time. The Ctr is around 7 lbs without the scope

Wendyj,

I have 2 6.5mm Creedmoor Savages and I think you'll love that caliber.

I have tried several different powders and have loaded with bullet weights from 130 to 147.
Hornady ELD Match 140 and 147 bullets were very accurate.
Sierra SMK 130s were very accurate.
Berger 140s, (all 3 variations, Match, Long Range, and Hybrid) were all accurate.
Even the 143 grain ELD-X Hornady hunting bullets were accurate.
Sierra 140 SMKs performed the worst but the 142 SMKs were among the best.
The 140 Sierra SMKs have a shorter amount of bullet body touching the rifling and I think that is what caused the difference.

My best results have been with IMR4350 and IMR4451 Enduron powders, but Reloader 17 did almost as well.
N150 had good results but it performed the worst of the powders I tried.
I have used IMR4064 but the slower powders perform slightly better.
Both my 6.5mm Creedmoor rifles like slower powders.

Wendyj,
One more thing to consider with the 6.5mm Creedmoor - you have some decisions to make about the brass you are using.

Hornady and Norma brass use large rifle primers in their brass.
Lapua uses small rifle primers.

I noticed that with the large rifle primer brass, using Federal 210 Match primers, the primer pockets were wearing out more quickly than I have experienced with other calibers (4 to 6 reloads) so I finally switched to Lapua brass to try the small rifle primers when Lapua brass became available.

The small rifle primer Lapua brass, using CCI 400 and CCI BR-4, has provided better accuracy results, especially with the BR-4 primers, and I have reloaded Lapua brass more than 16 times without noticeable primer pocket wear.

If you have the opportunity, you might try the Lapua brass. It is more expensive than Hornady and slightly cheaper than Norma, but it lasts much longer so it is actually less expensive per reload.

I was going to start with Winchester and federal brass after I shoot the factory rounds up. Will probably buy some Lapua when funds allow. I've got imr and h 4350 and some 4451. . I use the br2 primers since I just bought a 1000. My 260 liked the 4350 powders. Is there an advantage to the small primers? Only bullets I have on hand at time is 143 eld and eldx and some 130 nosler accubonds.

Starline, Peterson, and AlphaMunitions also make 6.5 Creedmoor brass in large and small primer also.

H4350 and Reloader 17 are my go to powders for the cartridge.

Why oh why did they ever put the ARmoor in a bolt gun!!??

Thought it was for guys with manbuns.
Now Wendy too??

What's this wotld coming to?

:)

Wendyj,

I compared the performance of the primers on the 6.5mm Creedmoor rifle that I have shot with both large and small rifle primers. By the time I got the newer second rifle, I had already switched to Lapua brass with small rifle primers so I only have comparative data on large and small rifle primers with one of the rifles.

CCI BR-4 small rifle primers (101 groups) shot the best and the overall results were 6.7% more accurate than CCI 400 small rifle primers (327 groups).
CCI BR-4 small rifle primers results were 42.4% better than Federal 205M small rifle primers (23 groups). Granted that is a smaller sample but the difference is large enough to see the trend even if the large sample difference turns out to be only 1/2 of what was measured.
CCI BR-4 small rifle primers results were 14.9% better than Federal 210M large rifle primers (158 groups).

It took me a while to convince myself that the more expensive BR-4 small rifle primers were better than the CCI 400 small rifle primers but I am now a believer. I bought another 1000 BR-4 primers and will continue to compare the results.

Also, I just reloaded another 100 6.5mm Creedmoor loads with the Lapua brass so the reload total is now 17 reloads with the same brass without noticeable small rifle primer pocket wear.

[QUOTEWendyj,

I compared the performance of the primers on the 6.5mm Creedmoor rifle that I have shot with both large and small rifle primers. By the time I got the newer second rifle, I had already switched to Lapua brass with small rifle primers so I only have comparative data on large and small rifle primers with one of the rifles.

CCI BR-4 small rifle primers (101 groups) shot the best and the overall results were 6.7% more accurate than CCI 400 small rifle primers (327 groups).
CCI BR-4 small rifle primers results were 42.4% better than Federal 205M small rifle primers (23 groups). Granted that is a smaller sample but the difference is large enough to see the trend even if the large sample difference turns out to be only 1/2 of what was measured.
CCI BR-4 small rifle primers results were 14.9% better than Federal 210M large rifle primers (158 groups).

It took me a while to convince myself that the more expensive BR-4 small rifle primers were better than the CCI 400 small rifle primers but I am now a believer. I bought another 1000 BR-4 primers and will continue to compare the results.

Also, I just reloaded another 100 6.5mm Creedmoor loads with the Lapua brass so the reload total is now 17 reloads with the same brass without noticeable small rifle primer pocket wear.

][/QUOTE]

That's some great information, if I ever take the plunge and buy a 6.5 Creedmoor, I will be loading for it.

Why oh why did they ever put the ARmoor in a bolt gun!!??

Thought it was for guys with manbuns.
Now Wendy too??

What's this wotld coming to?

Guys with manbuns shooting guns...? I thought manbuns fell off immediately when confronted with recoil greater than that of a .22LR?!

ROFLMBO!!

Well i KNOW, Wendy isn't recoil sensitive!
She's shot some pretty stout stuff.

If it weren't for a good deal on a Tikka, who knows.
Yes i know you like your Tikka's, Wendy.

If i found a deal on the same rifle, i'd be buying it too!

Although i'd probably be on the phone with E.R. Shaw the next day.
Something in a 25 Souper maybe...

Wendy, yes a chassis may help, but from what i've heard of the CTR you probably don't need one.

H4350 is the popular kid of the powders, but I don't see abundances of it around here so I tried IMR 4451 With decent results and RL 17, RL19.
RL 19 is what I use with 140 grn Accubonds, it does nicely, H4350 with 130 grn Berger hunting VLD'S.
This is all large primer Hornady and some .243 win brass necked up, so far I like .243 win brass necked up, but Im wanting to try Starting small pocket brass and BR4's

That’s strange with the 4451. That’s my go to powder for 190 LR accubonds in my 300 wsm. It’s a Tikka T3 light also. STD 7 mag. My old man buns. Lol. They aren’t recoil shy.

Back