• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

THR is down right now...again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arfcom up & running. No THR. BTW, I mentioned my sharpshooter thread at THR to a museum staffer today and I got a response from the Chief Curator who is a black powder shooter. That was surprising.

Arfcom works for me. OK, it actually does nothing for me, but it does seem to be in working order as of 10 pm Central. But since AR-15 forums are notoriously unreliable as well as under-powered... :p

Well it's pretty obvious that the web hosting provider currently hosting THR is incapable of dealing with DOS attacks. My guess is that until Derek can find a better provider and get THR moved, we're not going to see much of THR anytime soon. Whoever is launching these DOS attacks probably has no intentions of quitting. I wonder if Derek or Oleg have received any emails from the attacker offering to drop the attacks in exchange for a wad of $$$? Extortion is the root cause of most sustained DOS attacks.

11:30 eastern time and it's still down. I think all of us who really enjoy THR should send atleast $5 to Derek to get it on a reliable server. I'm the brokest of the broke, living check to check but I can spare atleast $5 to help out.If 20 people send him $5 that's $100 and should help him get it on a more reliable server. What does everyone think?

Cash Infusion

I don't know where the servers are co-located, but if memory serves, the monthly hit on this kind of hosting is more than 50 cents.

Now, if we could get, say, 1,500 hundred of us to send $20 that would handle a lot of technical silliness, and buy a few hours of a really mean attorney, for when the culprit is ultimately discovered.

=Now, if we could get, say, 1,500 hundred of us to send $20 that would handle a lot of technical silliness, and buy a few hours of a really mean attorney, for when the culprit is ultimately discovered.

Howdy everyone...I try to read/post on THR regularly...but egad, it's been down a bunch lately. I'd be happy to donate some small help for Derek. Is there a mechanism in place for contributions?

As far as donating, he just posted a thread about that over at THR, something about mailing him a check with a note that it is to go to THR help.

THR back online

THR is back up, evidently some time around 12:45 PDT.

Thanks, Derek.

I can get my fix before I turn in for the night.

Sorry to keep y'all waiting. Busy day yesterday and I didn't think about a post here until now. We're still under attack at times, but a bigger issue is incompetence at my datacenter.
  • For starters, they have me back on a 10 Mbit port, which is a good thing as they're billing me for DoS bandwidth.
  • Support sucks, as in "there's no way to get anything done in less than an hour." Report that I'm under attack again, and it'll be an hour before relief.
  • Relief always comes in the form of blackholing THR so all packets to/from our server disappear at the edge router.
  • Relief never comes in the form of dropping the attack packets, even though as far as I've been told no attack has used more than 4 hosts. Why can't they do better even though they advertise ddos protection? You've got me.
  • Yesterday the attacks stopped early afternoon, and I couldn't get them to un blackhole us until about 3:48 AM. Why? I'm guessing incompetence -- the guy who knew how to properly talk to the firewall had gone home or something.
  • Of course, the attack started a bit after the site was back up, and it was another hour before they could blackhole us again.
I Soooooo need a better host. These guys were top notch until this year, but they've gone so far downhill I don't know what to say.

The problem is trying to find one that is capable and offers better support. Well, and who can respond at least reasonably well to the DoS attacks. I called gige yesterday who have a reputation for handling DDoS attacks well, and they just want an extra $1,000 per month for DDoS protection. I love you guys, but I can't swing that.

So, I'm still in the market. I'm so ready for this to be over.

Turns out all the attacks are coming from different machines in the same Chicago datacenter; and they are 100% unresponsive to calls/e-mails/whatever.

Turns out all the attacks are coming from different machines in the same Chicago datacenter; and they are 100% unresponsive to calls/e-mails/whatever.

Chicago, the current epicenter of the anti-gun movement in the USA.

It sounds to me like this needs to be handled [Sean Connery]The Chicago Way.[/Sean Connery]

It would sure be nice to knock on the door of the place, and ask them exactly what their malfunction is.

Wes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back