Thoughts on Ruger single six

Yeah and what's more it's an oddball size. Drivers of the proper width are to thick to fit in the slot and conversely if their narrow enough to fit the slot they are 1/2 the width, go figure. :(

I have read S&W uses the same size barrels for 9mm and 38/357. Why not?

I assume that the reason the barrels are the 'same', is because SAAMI specs for 9mm Luger, .38SPCL, and .357 Magnum are the same at .355" Groove, and .346" Bore (also .357 Max)...

I bought a Ruger SS back around 1990, so I could have a revolver to shoot IHMSA Silhouette with. That gun was one of the most accurate revolvers I ever owned. With good quality ammo (Eley std. vel.) it was a tack driver. I took it to the IHMSA Internationals and shot a 77x80 with that gun. I came in third place with it shooting against all the premium brands of revolvers out there. Not saying that they all shot that good, but that's an indication of how much potential they have. Wish I hadn't sold it after I quit shooting silhouette.

Single 6

My Dad's came my way after his death in 2002, 6.5" tube, convertible .22lr/.22M, blue steel. First thing I learned, Dad had no where near a working zero with the .22lr cylinder in it, at least for me. Next, basically because I had all the .22 handgun I wanted in a MKII Standard model Ruger auto pistol, I put the .22mag cylinder in Dad's Single 6. It's been in there ever since. Finally, because of the longer tube, I shoot the 6.5" gun better than most all my other handguns.....I see the front sight better a bit farther out there.

The only load I can get the sights to adjust to is the original W-W 40 gr JHP or FMJ load. All other makes or bullet weights shoot high and there is not sufficient depression in the rear sight to get POA/POI. That bothers me not a bit really, the W-W ammo suits me fine. The cost doesn't bother me either, because as a woods/trail/pest gun, I don't shoot large quantities of ammo from it, .....22 lr in other guns serves that purpose.

I shot quite a few armadillos with the revolver in .22 mag with the JHP round, and the difference in killing power of the mag round over the .22 lr seems apparent. The mag round would also punch through various materials like sheet metal better than the .22lr, not that that was much of a measure of much use, but the .22 mag was clearly more powerful.

The gun rides in a flap holster, modified for cross draw, on a cartridge belt, I think both are from Triple K. Cross draw allows the long tube to get out of the way in the Bronco, or on the ATV. If I am not carrying a heavy handgun, the Single 6 in .22 mag is the one that usually still comes along.

I'll be the downer in the group and say I didn't really care for the one I briefly owned. Single unloading of those skinny little 22 cases is the very definition of boring. I much prefer an auto or a DA revolver with a swing out cylinder. I make no pretense of being a cowboy.

I love my 357 Blackhawk but for 22 I don't care for the single action format.

Drm50's experience mirrors mine, exactly! Over the years I have owned many .22's revolvers ... only the Ruger SS remains under my roof. Ruger is head and shoulders above the Heritage. The Ruger SS is also better than the Colt .22's I briefly owned.

Loading and unloading single actions is half the fun! :D

I have owned a 6" convertable for around 20 yrs what a great revolver!
At 50 yds the 22WMR shoots like a rifle! Favorite 22 rimfire target is a 4' piece of r/r track stuck in ground vertically @ 50 yds, the 40 grain W/W Wildcats ring it like a bell few misses if you use the front sight.
Totally reliable, rarely gums up with powder and NEVER misfires!!!
Wish I had a 3" bbl snobby as a hideout.

ZVP there is a fellow over on the Smith & Wesson forum that cut down an older SS to about a 3" barrel and slicked it up. I should have saved his pictures because the gun looked so cool. If you are a member there you may ask and see if he will repost the photos. I promise when you see it you will want one just like it.

New or old, they're great guns those Single Sixes...and the .32's are even better than the .22's. My wife's 3-screw early '72 gun was a tack driver with either cylinder; 22LR or Mag. Sadly stolen by a dirt bag druggie, it's gone forever, but the new model 4-5/8" bbl'd replacement is ever bit as accurate and a bit more comfortable to carry with it's ~1" shorter barrel. Buy the Ruger, you'll never regret nor need to upgrade for accuracy in your lifetime. Regards, Rod

My thoughts are that I love mine and will have it until I am gone. It is one of the convertibles with the .22 mag cylinder. I bought it used in the mid 1980s and it remains stupid accurate. Great revolver.

This past weekend, I found a 3-screw Ruger Single Six .22LR at a pawn shop. It was in great shape for its age and the price seemed reasonable (less than $300), so I bought it on the spot.

I'm not sure how old it is, but it has a 5 digit serial number (90xxx) with no prefix, and only has the drift-adjustable rear sight. I'm going to get the camera out some time today and will post pics later.

I was really just looking for a plinker, and thought about buying a Heritage just for something to throw in the Kubota RTV to have with me when I'm down in the woods. I.e., just something I wouldn't mind beating up. But, honestly, I couldn't get past the safety. A safety on a single-action revolver? Not for me.

Last edited:
My Super 5.5 blued lives with the Magnum cylinder in it.

It is such a great experience to shoot that round.
Makes me want to find a rifle to mate it with.
Lever-action, maybe?

Accuracy 22 Mag?

The way it was explaindto me;
The standard RF is a couple thousandths smaller than a 22WMR being ametal cased bullet thus needing a little larger oreand rifling
Naturally the WMR gets a better bite on the rifling and better accuracy
Honestly, you can't tell the difference shooting offhand but at 75 yds plus, then theWMR is king!!! Very powerful and flat shooting
BTW, I bought a Plinkster 22 LR from a famous dealer of SA revolvers and within a1K ofshells theguts fell apart!
There is only 1 competitor for the SS and or's the RR. Cheap and good but STILL not a Single Six!!!

New Member First Posting

I found this forum looking for a solution to my dilemma when I discovered that my Ruger single six convertable .22 magnum cylinder had gone missing from my three screw inherited revolver. I was given the revolver by my brother in law but it had been my father's and it didn't have the orignal box but it was instead in a zippered gun rug with the standard red pouch and spare cylinder kept loose in the case.

I went into my truck last week and was panicked to see the cylinder was no longer there and I tore up every possible place and contacted gun ranges where it may have fallen out. Then I went online and learned about fluted old models and new models and timing precautions.

I finally found my replacement at a NH parts dealer called Classic Firearm Parts LLC cfnparts.com where they had 8 cylinders in stock. I was told that they get parts from the police who confiscate guns used in crimes and are then required to destroy only the receiver of the item and thus the other parts can be put into circulation to help people like me.

Here is the fix I came up with to never lose another cylinder. I have now used paracord and a flannel pouch on a draw string that permanently ties the spare cyclinder to the gun rug hanging loop and it will no longer be able to be separated from the case.

Last edited:
Felkebg, Don't know if you noticed but this is a pretty old thread. The last post is almost a year and a half old. It sounds like you came up with a good fix, and welcome to the forum.

Back