Thoughts on RIA M206 snub nose .38special

I considered the RIA but when I looked at them beside the Taurus 856, I bought the Taurus because the fit and finish was so much better. I paid about $40 more but I felt it was well worth the difference.

I considered the RIA but when I looked at them beside the Taurus 856, I bought the Taurus because the fit and finish was so much better. I paid about $40 more but I felt it was well worth the difference.
I have been considering the 856 as well. I have never owned a Taurus, but know many range club members over the years that love the 85. I would like to see Ruger come out with one in the LCR model that I love.
Would appreciate more post on the 856 as time goes on. Thanks for posting.

Might want to watch Hickokagain, ane reassess your comments. He seemed quite fair, apologized for using he term "cheap", made fun of status symbol guns, and said the whole MIM topic may be way over done. He actually complimented tye RIA on function. He basically pointed out differences you would expect in two guns on opposite ends of the price range, and made a point that the RIA is actually better than he expected.
Being a connoisseur of "cheap guns" mysrlf, I wasn't insulted in the least.

Watched the video, Hickok was pretty balanced, but when he mentioned MIM and it being overblown, I'll say that the only MIM part that's ever busted on me is the transfer bar in the Charter Professional. The transfer bar in the Rock Island isn't MIM as I've shot and dry fired it a lot more than that Charter and it's held up.

It's likely that the Kimber has a lot more MIM parts in it than the Rock Island does.

Hickok did a better job than other Youtubers would have. Had it been YankeeMarshall, he would have outright lied about the Rock Island being junk because with him the only thing that matters about revolvers is how they look, how much they cost, and if they're in .357 Magnum.

Lauer Weaponry has a new Duracoat product called (IIRC) Durablue, which is supposed to replicate in a spray-on finish the appearance of a traditional, hot blue gun finish. I am periodically tempted to try it on my RIA revolver to see if I can make it look like a Colt Detective Special. The RIA parkerized finish should be an ideal base for a Duracoat application.

You knew this personally or did you just hear about this?

I suspect that there is a survivor from being shot by just about every caliber made. A headshot is not always the most lethal depending on placement, angle, etc. You can get shot in the leg with a .22 short and die on the spot depending on where the bullet hits. An individual incident means very little.
IIRC it was in one of the gun mags/"rags" it might have even been a yarn by Massad Ayoob.

I'm perfectly happy with .38 Special HP. I just got back from picking the RIA up. The trigger pull is nicer than I expected and the finish is fine. Cylinder rotation is smooth and lock-up is tight. I'm happy with it. May get a chance to shoot it here in a little bit.

attachment.php

attachment.php
Nice close up Pic Hdonly. Thanks

I wonder if a Tyler T-Grip or a BK grip adapter for a Colt would fin on the wood grip version? I have sort of considered getting one of these but have never seen one in person. I would probably lean more towards the 4" version.

ratshooter said:
I wonder if a Tyler T-Grip or a BK grip adapter for a Colt would fin on the wood grip version? I have sort of considered getting one of these but have never seen one in person. I would probably lean more towards the 4" version.
As was mentioned (I think) in the review to which I posted a link several posts above, Pachmayr rubber grips for the Colt Detective Special fit the Rock Island almost perfectly. I put a set of the Pachmayrs on mine, and I think it makes a YUUUGE difference. It's just much more comfortable and secure to hold with the Pachmayrs.

So if those grips fit, I would guess that other grips made for the Detective Special should also fit -- possibly with some minor fitting, although the Pachmayrs didn't require any tweaking on mine.

I’d try a BK. I wouldn’t be surprised if it fit “close enough” anyway. If not I’d break out the sandpaper. Nothing to lose really. The BK’s aren’t real expensive.

As was mentioned (I think) in the review to which I posted a link several posts above, Pachmayr rubber grips for the Colt Detective Special fit the Rock Island almost perfectly. I put a set of the Pachmayrs on mine, and I think it makes a YUUUGE difference. It's just much more comfortable and secure to hold with the Pachmayrs.

Yes I remember you posting that but I'm like a lot of others who are sort of tired of rubber grips. And I do have several mounted on guns.

ratshooter said:
Yes I remember you posting that but I'm like a lot of others who are sort of tired of rubber grips. And I do have several mounted on guns.
Understood. The reason I mentioned it again was to point out that the Pachmayrs fit with NO modifications. I think there was maybe a hairline gap between the two halves, but I didn't have to do any carving or drilling or anything. Which leads me to think there's a high probability that any grip for a Detective Special should also fit the Armscor.

Back