Thoughts on RIA M206 snub nose .38special

You knew this personally or did you just hear about this?

I suspect that there is a survivor from being shot by just about every caliber made. A headshot is not always the most lethal depending on placement, angle, etc. You can get shot in the leg with a .22 short and die on the spot depending on where the bullet hits. An individual incident means very little.

You knew this personally or did you just hear about this?
Without doing a lot of searching I do remember reading that story somewhere. Where the bullet hits is more important than how powerful it is. But a little more can be helpfull.
If you would want more punch, the EAA Windicator comes in a 357 Magnum snubbie. Rock solid with a better finish than the Rock Island. Still pretty reasonably priced at about $100 over the RIA.

I'm perfectly happy with .38 Special HP. I just got back from picking the RIA up. The trigger pull is nicer than I expected and the finish is fine. Cylinder rotation is smooth and lock-up is tight. I'm happy with it. May get a chance to shoot it here in a little bit.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20200303_123133715.resized.jpg
    IMG_20200303_123133715.resized.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 1,103
  • IMG_20200303_123231812.resized.jpg
    IMG_20200303_123231812.resized.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 1,097
Do they still include the rubber grips? They do provide a better feel, but mine being nothing more than a range toy I prefer the vintage look of the small wood grips.
I have read of some people having a problem with "hammer bite" using the smaller grips. Switching to the larger rubber grips eliminate th e problem.
I say "some people" because I have never had an issue with the hammer pinching my hand.

I found the OEM wood grips to be too small to hold the gun properly ... and I don't have big hands. The Armscor molded plastic grips feel better, but they're so big that they look completely out of place on a snubnose. I put Pachmayr grips (for a Colt Detective Special) on mine. They fit almost perfectly, and they are a nice compromise in size between the Armscor wood grips and the Armscor plastic grips.

I found the OEM wood grips to be too small to hold the gun properly ... and I don't have big hands. The Armscor molded plastic grips feel better, but they're so big that they look completely out of place on a snubnose. I put Pachmayr grips (for a Colt Detective Special) on mine. They fit almost perfectly, and they are a nice compromise in size between the Armscor wood grips and the Armscor plastic grips.
I found the wood grips too small as well and they caused me to pull shots to the left every time. I thought that the crown was bad or the sights were way off and was about to call Rock Island, but decided I'd try the black grips first and sure enough the gun shot to POA.

I don't have an issue with the big grips, they may look weird on the gun and wouldn't be good for CCW, but the primary purpose of this for me was a home defense gun stashed in a secret place or maybe a vehicle gun.

Can't say I'd really want to carry the RIA anyway, it's quite heavy for that role and the cylinder is much wider than 5 shot snubs like the LCR.

I guess they are wood now. The one I have came with wood-like hard plastic. Really good looking but not wood.
Well, I might have been wrong when I said rubber, just thought it was a hard "ruber" like material. But I'm sure my "wood" grips are indeed wood.

Cheapshooter. Mine came with 2 sets of grips. One was similar to a Paachmyer, The other was a set of wood grips that were on it. I have never installed the plastic ones, as they are too bulky. My wife carries the gun daily. She likes the way the grip fits her hand.

Carl the Floor Walker said:
RIA? Yes, I want one, but trying to decide which one. Check out this video made just yesterday on the Brand and quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL5y5O3oSCU

Heh, heh.

Ol' Hickock 45 was trying awfully hard there to make it sound like the Kimber might actually be worth more than four times what the RIA costs. I picked up on how he kept mentioning MIM parts when talking about the Rock Island, while conveniently overlooking the fact that Kimber uses MIM parts, too.

Shame on you, Hickock 45. If you can't do a fair, unbiased comparison ... don't do a comparison.

Disclaimer: My M200 was bought in 2008, before Kimber even thought about making revolvers. It's not a daily carry gun, I use it as a range gun. It's fine. No problems.

Very fair comparison by Hickcock. If anything he seemed to have a bias for the RIA. He is a longtime Revolver shooter love's them from everything I have seen and as far as anyone not being bias to a degree is rare find. The Kimber is a beautiful gun, would love to own one, but cannot justify the cost. At least according to my wallet and budget. The RIA seems like a good work horse.

Hickok can be quite biased. I watched him review a High-Point. It shot well. It functioned well. Even when he said something positive about it, he tried to beat the gun down. The few problems he actually had appeared unique. I have owned and fire many, many rounds through my HP.380 and had none of the problems he had. He just doesn't like High-Points and you can tell it. I lost some respect that I held for his opinion.

Back