Thoughts on muzzle brakes

If the noise is a problem, deal with it somehow, but a punitive attitude of placing them in mud is not how to treat fellow shooters who paid the same money and showed up for the same event.

But who showed up NOT with the same equipment, but with equipment which has a demonstrable detrimental effect on fellow shooters who paid good money to develop, or to further improve, their skill-sets at the same training venue.

I can understand the objection to having a brake on the next firing point. Sound pressure diminishes rapidly with distance. If you have appropriate ear protection, a brake 20 yds away should be no issue.

Dude, good for you ... you just made my point. :rolleyes:

That's why the non-MB shooters voted to have all the MB guys moved to the far end of the line - about 20-25yds away, just for that reason.

And if it's muddy and wet and uncomfortable there, so what? :rolleyes: Range conditions vary all over the place, including at the same training venue when the weather changes. You're there to shoot and develop marksmanship skills with your rifle, not be a nancy-boy who's worried about getting mud on his Brad-Pitt autographed, tacticool combat pants. :D

Look, repositioning the MB guys is a teaching point on 2 counts: first, they'll benefit from learning to shoot accurately at distance from a less-than-desirable position ( :p ), and, second, for future reference in subsequent PR classes, they may actually reconsider whether it was such a good idea to hang a MB on their stick in the first place.

Anytime you are going to be doing a lot of shooting, a M.B. is an excellent idea.:rolleyes: If it annoys some people who never shoot anything other than a 6 PPC, so be it. One of the major problems at many ranges today is that the old "Bench rest" crowd think that they own the range and they are the only game in town. 1000 yard is more popular now in this area than 100, 200. annd 400 yard B.R. There are a lot of higher powered rifles with brakes shooting 1000 yard. Share the range and don't whine. I shoot a 6 PPC. I shoot a .30BR. If I am shooting one of the br rifles, I do not get my bloomers in a bunch when a 7WSM 1k rifle with a brake sits down beside me. Neither does it annoy me when someone wants to play with their .338 Lapua. Most of the B.R. shooters just have a temper tantrum melt down when a brake shows up. When they have that attitude when I am working up 1k loads with my .284 with a brake, I put it up and drag out my .338 Lapua with a brake.

As I stated earlier, (I think I stated earlier) At some point I'm going to install a muzzle break on my 338-06. While I hope everyone around me will be ok with it I have learned that if a person wants to be mad, let them and enjoy your day.

agtman said:
That's why the non-MB shooters voted to have all the MB guys moved to the far end of the line - about 20-25yds away, just for that reason.

And if it's muddy and wet and uncomfortable there, so what?

What is your range like survivor voting people off the island? If anyone ever walked up to me at the range and said "well we came to a vote, you have to move your gear all the way down to the muddy end of the range because we don't like your muzzle brake", I would tell them to take a hike. If they asked nicely I would surely try to find a spot away from them, but I would not be inclined to lay down in the mud for them.

Not sure why you have such obsession against muzzle brakes, we get it you don't like them, that doesn't mean everyone has to cater to your needs.

Last edited:
Or,if you don't like the brakes,you go lay in the mud.

Like I said,clique/snob.

To an earlier point,I do agree,it works both ways.I do talk to folks near me,I'll tell them I'm about to do something loud.I'll even move down,no problem.

I 'll bend over backwards to be courteous and considerate,but I also have a right to be,too exist,and I won't be treated as a doormat.

Agtman.you have made no mention of any pre-condition to sign up for your event .Was it publicized MB's were not welcome?Did these folks have any way to know in advance they would receive shoddy treatment ?

Sorry,a MB is just a piece of equiptment.I can deal with that.

But the attitude ....way worse than any muzzlebrake.

try a past recoil pad. it works great in my tc encore with a 444 marlin. i was afraid of the recoil from the 444(i had a stroke), but with the past recoil pad and the flextech stock( with a pachmyer recoil pad) it shoots quite well.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co..._Ambidextrous_

for $30, its a heck of alot cheaper than a muzzle brake. if it don't work, send your barrel to bellms.

Fortunately my range is big enough that I can just walk away and shoot somewhere else for a while 'til my friend finishes with his loud toy. But then, my range is improvised at any number of suitable locations on public land. Clearly, this subject of muzzle brakes has the potential to be divisive. I haven't used an official shooting range in years, so I thought it would be interesting to see what a well established shooting range's policies on the matter might be. Douglas Ridge Rifle Club near Estacada, Oregon does not allow 50BMG arms on their range, but they do allow muzzle brakes. However, they do say that shooters using muzzle brakes should distance themselves from other shooters as much as possible. Sounds reasonable to me; we don't have to be inconsiderate.

After a few thousand more rounds from my #70, 7mm rem mag, a new 7mm rem mag barrel will be installed with muzzlebrake,,,,,,hope it does scatter people downbtobthe far lanes, keep them idiots from shooting on my target!!!!
Actually I shoot at a.public range and nobody including the regulars get bent about loud guns, kinda like a dragster gettin fire up, everybody wants to see whats making those loud booms.

What is your range like survivor voting people off the island? If anyone ever walked up to me at the range and said "well we came to a vote, you have to move your gear all the way down to the muddy end of the range * * *.

It was in a PR course, not at the local range, and there was nothing planned about it. Just sort of a spontaneous thing where several non-MB shooters were requesting to be re-positioned and/or were already up and moving their rifles and gear trying to get lined up on a firing point without MBs on either side of them. Someone (not me) asked the instructor if it wouldn't be simpler for this particular period of shooting (400-yd targets) if the MB guys "moved over there," which was about 20-25yds further down the line.

Okay so, admittedly, I *might* have been just a wee bit over the top in describing the condition of that end of range ... :D
It had rained earlier in the day and there were muddy spots, but it wasn't that muddy. And everyone brought ground mats and many of them had plastic tarps as well. Instructors had extras of long foam mats if anyone wanted one. It wasn't like any MB folks were consigned to shoot out of a pool of water. Plus, despite what's been said on this thread by the MB fans, the guys with the brakes were fine with it. No one asked for a refund. ;)

Not sure why you have such obsession against muzzle brakes, we get it you don't like them, that doesn't mean everyone has to cater to your needs.

Dude, I have no issues with MBs in the tactical carbine courses and I've seen a lot of students running braked 5.56 blasters. Those courses have you doing a lot of moving-&-shooting drills and not so much of the static shooting where you're pronged out for long strings of shots at distance.

But for PR, I'd rather not be developing my long-distance skills next to someone's noisy, blasty recoil-crutch and for which, frankly, I've seen zero evidence that use of the MB improved the user's accuracy at distance, which is what you're attempting to achieve in said PR courses.

By the way, nobody shoots from a bench in the PR courses. This isn't BR shooting. It's about learning precision-shooting skills by firing in supported & unsupported positions, all kinds, including improvised practical field-positions, such as are employed by hunters and snipers.

Yeah, as always, just my opinion ...

Last edited:
* * * Douglas Ridge Rifle Club near Estacada, Oregon does not allow 50BMG arms on their range, but they do allow muzzle brakes. However, they do say that shooters using muzzle brakes should distance themselves from other shooters as much as possible. Sounds reasonable to me; we don't have to be inconsiderate.

Sounds like a group of reasonable folks there, to me.

On the off chance that I'm at an actual range, shooting with other people.. I'll move down the line as far as I can if I'm running a brake.

On the off chance that I'm at an actual range, shooting with other people ... I'll move down the line as far as I can if I'm running a brake.

Thank you. If all MB-users were as courteous and accommodating, I'm sure there'd be no problems with the non-MB folks. :cool:

I shoot with a muzzle brake, mine was installed & timed by a gunsmith. My friend ordered a clamp on brake, works just as good. clamps on using 3 screws, does not harm the barrel. Comes from Witt Machine, check it out before you send the rifle to a gunsmith. $89. in SS His was coated black cost $15. more. My next brake will come from Witt Machine. Hope I helped

Just ordered a Witt for my 338 WinMag last Friday.

ranger56528, You will love the brake, follow the instructions. use blue lock tight on the barrel & a dab on the screws, don't overtighten the screws. Slowly tighten all the screws once it startes to get snug on the barrel, with your rifle leveled, put the level across the top of the brake, level the brake, let the blue set for 1/2 hour and your done. Overtighten the screws they will snap.

Back