Thoughts on muzzle brakes

For strings of rapid fire they can be extremely useful, even in low recoil calibers like 5.56. I recently compared my 14.5" BCM midlength with a Battlecomp to a 16" S&W Sport with a crowned barrel, and a Windham 16" AR with an A2 flash hider, and everyone agreed that my rifle was much flatter shooting. The S&W and Windham had carbine gas systems though which can have a harsher recoil impulse than a midlength. With that said it is pretty loud, and not something I would want to fire in a confined hallway in my home with no ear pro. Now that I think of it, I don't think my 18.5" 12g shotgun will be any easier on my ears.

Since muzzle brakes are here to stay, it might be good to wear good ear protection at the range.

Permitted uses of muzzle brakes (MBs) are, thankfully, getting more limited. Many, perhaps most, African Safari outfits have banned the use of rifles with MBs and won't let you bring one into camp over there. I've noted that some U.S. hunting camps have also banned them.

In precision rifle training, rifles with muzzle brakes chambered in .223/5.56mm & .308/7.62 (or, worse, larger calibers) are a documented lateral nuisance on the firing line. Not only is the shot-to-shot concentration of fellow shooters on either side disturbed with their obnoxious noise and concussive sideways blast, these devices universally kick up dust and dirt thus obscuring the optics of other shooters (i.e., victimizing them) for precise follow-up shots, especially at distance.

Not surprisingly at such marksmanship training courses, the happy shooter (and any fellow traveler) whose rifle is seen to be sporting a MB receives not only scornful looks and comments as he starts to set up on the firing line, but is, by the democratic vote of those without brakes, directed by the chief instructor to take his rifle and gear and move way, way down to the far right side of the line - usually to a point some 25 yds from the nearest shooter. Typically this position is also where the field has flooded over, or is at least damp and muddy, or otherwise not anyone's first choice for prone shots on small targets at 500 yds.

Presumably this exercise serves as a teaching point about the need to observe the requisite social skills when setting up your rifle for the next evolution in marksmanship training.

Word to the wise ... ;)

:cool:

Last edited:
A shooter with a 338 with a muzzle brake caught me off guard standing too close one day at the range. The percussion from the shot really hurt in one of my teeth. I went to the dentist, bingo, cavity detected and fixed the next day. Score 1 for the muzzle brake.

I guess I have a high tolerance for noise, they don't bother me that much.
"You will be assimilated, resistance is futile" aka "ban all ________"

I try to not hate them......

......but when my shooting buddy pulls the trigger on his braked 5.56, it blasts me right off the firing line. I have to get directly behind him, and the further the better. I use good earplugs, but their no match for the brake. I just have to stop shooting and walk away. For me, muzzle brakes take the fun right out of shooting. Not to alienate those who choose to use a muzzle brake, but I just can't stand near one when it goes off. And I don't owe it to anyone to pretend they don't bother me. I will take the recoil over the brake. A rifle doesn't have to be an artillery piece. To each their own, but I would rather shoot alone than keep company with a muzzle brake; they're that painful to me. Maybe a 35 Whelan is better off in a heavier rifle. Yes, I've shot a couple of rifles with brakes. That's enough for me. I say, "Nay, to muzzle brakes.".

* * * I just have to stop shooting and walk away. For me, muzzle brakes take the fun right out of shooting.

No question about it, I've seen many a fellow shooter "vote with his feet" on the MB issue by moving far and away down the line.

That's why in rifle courses, where you're paying good money to develop a skill-set, it's easier to relocate all the dudes with their obnoxious recoil-crutches down to the less desirable firing points ... :eek:

* * * Not to alienate those who choose to use a muzzle brake, but I just can't stand near one when it goes off. And I don't owe it to anyone to pretend they don't bother me. I will take the recoil over the brake. A rifle doesn't have to be an artillery piece. To each their own, but I would rather shoot alone than keep company with a muzzle brake; they're that painful to me. Maybe a 35 Whelan is better off in a heavier rifle. Yes, I've shot a couple of rifles with brakes. That's enough for me. I say, "Nay, to muzzle brakes.".

Part of the heavy recoil experience is muzzle jump. I sent my rifle to MagnaPort in Michigan for their unique porting process which does not affect bluing at all. No more muzzle jump!

Jack

I shoot with a muzzle brake, mine was installed & timed by a gunsmith. My friend ordered a clamp on brake, works just as good. clamps on using 3 screws, does not harm the barrel. Comes from Witt Machine, check it out before you send the rifle to a gunsmith. $89. in SS His was coated black cost $15. more. My next brake will come from Witt Machine. Hope I helped

Can I ask what type of "skill sets" youre paying good money to learn where the concussion of other rifles must be removed? Benchrest?

Obviously nothing tactical where the blast from other rifles would be just part of the training. Ive trained in an indoor range with 10 muzzle braked AR15s on the line and the concussion was just considered part of the training. "Train as you fight" right? Although it may be different when youre paying money, I wouldn't know. I was always the one getting paid for my training.

Can I ask what type of "skill sets" you're paying good money to learn where the concussion of other rifles must be removed? Benchrest?

Benchrest? Hardly. Long range precision, where you've got, say, 25-30 students shooting prone (for the most part), spaced along a firing line with sometimes only a few feet separating their set-ups.

Obviously nothing tactical where the blast from other rifles would be just part of the training. Ive trained in an indoor range with 10 muzzle braked AR15s on the line and the concussion was just considered part of the training. "Train as you fight" right? Although it may be different when youre paying money, I wouldn't know. I was always the one getting paid for my training.

Well, I've been around many 5.56 ARs with brakes in "tactical" courses too. Yeah, since there's a lot of the "move-n-shoot" type drills, you're less likely to get "blasted," except for the initial 100-yd sighting-in on the first day, where (again) everyone is proned out side-by-side.

Doing indoors training, such as room-clearing drills inside a Live Fire House, forget it. You'll still catch the concussive lateral blast even while wearing ear plugs and muffs. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well I am one that is primarly interested in practical marksmanship with traditional hunting rifles. Not every shooter is interested in, "tactical", shooting games. I probably wouldn't want to be next to a 50BMG, either, for that matter. I don't have a need to get used to be near a muzzle brake when it goes off. But, perhaps someone else does have that need or desire. So I have no training regimen that needs it.

Well I am one that is primarly interested in practical marksmanship with traditional hunting rifles.

Just FYI, but in the Precision Rifle (PR) courses I mentioned, about a third of the students brought a "traditional hunting" type rifle to shoot, either as their primary or their second rifle. Not everyone shows up with the latest and greatest SPR on the AR-platform or a $3,000 GAP rifle that weighs 12lbs, and even then those that do also bring along a more basic bolt-action deer rifle or even an old-school M1 Garand.

These are also not what you'd call "high round count" courses where everybody is blasting away, unlike in "tactical" carbine courses where you might burn thru 2500-rds in 2 days. PR affairs are comparatively low-round count because the focus is on doing the marksmanship fundamentals correctly, with shooting out to 500yds, and on making each shot count, as if each were the last shot you'd fire in the course.

Concentration is essential to developing the requisite skill-set in PR, so not having a guy next to you with a braked rifle rattling your teeth and stinging your face with each squeeze of the trigger is, ... well, a good and helpful thing. ;)

:cool:

Last edited:
I love shooting rifles with brakes. About everything I now build has a brake. I blew someones hat off at the range a while back. It was priceless.;) He is one of those people who like to gripe about everything anyway. Gave him something to gripe about.

I can understand the objection to having a brake on the next firing point.Sound pressure diminishes rapidly with distance.If you have appropriate ear protection,a brake 20 yds away should be no issue.

At the same time,brakes are a useful tech,and its not reasonable to get all "attitude" about them.

The earlier post that described assigning those shooting a brake to firing points where they would have to lay prone in mud was telling.

Brake or not,that shows some kind of clique/snobbery.

If the noise is a problem,deal with it somehow,but a punitive attitude of placing them in mud is not how to treat fellow shooters who paid the same money and showed up for the same event.

Hi-BC, seems like the "attitude" issues go goth ways......

I blew someones hat off at the range a while back. It was priceless.

:rolleyes:

Have a brake, or a 50 BMG, or a snubby 450 Alaskan .... whatever ..... just don't use it to annoy people.

You have a gun. I'm a "gun guy". Your actions reflect on me because people know I'm a gun guy ....... try to reperesent us well.

Back