Thoughts on an animal attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent 20 years on the Anchorage Police Dept. We had several large animal calls.

I love animals as much as the next guy, I dont beleive in wantan waste. But as a police officer and human, my duty was to protect citizens first and thats what I did.

I've had an occassion to put down several moose at traffic accidents rather then let them suffer. The meat was harvested for the needy.

OK thats one reason to kill animals. But defense of life of citizens is also a requirement. I was doing a crime scene investigation in the back yard of an elderly lady's house. She was beaten so bad it was hard to tell she was human. While processing the scene we got a call from the coroner telling us to no longer consider it a crime scene as he deternmined without a doubt it was a cow moose that killed the lady.

We hear of bear attacks but moose kill and injury a heck of a lot more people then bears.

Domestic animals too. I got a sniper call to kill a large dog who had bitten a child. It was to the point, if we didnt get the dog by dark, that evening they would have to start a series of painful rabbie shots on the kid. Being a dog owner and lover, I dont like to shoot dogs, but I had no choice. I saved the kid from those shots.

Animals charge, you often have no choice but to act without thinking. One such an occasion I was sent to a traffic tie up on the highway between Anchorage and Eagle River. It was a snow storm and a large bull moose was attacking cars forcing them to hit the ditch, or serve into another lane causing more accidents.

As I arrived and stepped out of the car, he charged my patrol car, I had no choice but to draw and shoot. I had no time to dodge being the cover of mine or someone else's car.

It was a beautiful animal and its sad. I had neither time or distance to avoid the animal. I acted.

I dont know of the incident mentioned by the OP. I wasnt there. Nor will I comment on other such incidents because I know what can happen. What the cop (or other shooter) sees, and what goes through his/her mind is often a lot different then setting in a warm house, say one could have done this or that. I know you often cant think at all, you just have to act.

IMG_NEW.jpg

My thoughts on an animal attack? I don’t have many other than I would rather not be attacked..:D. I am with Stonewall, idiots that I imagine can’t even raise their own kids properly need to to stop trying to domesticate wild/exoctic pets. With that said, idiots are going to do what they do until the earth quits spinning, there is no curing it.

I believe in Main if a moose gets within X distance (50-100 feet?) they shoot it.

It would be a good rule for AK but the in city fools want to see their moose (until they hit one and total their car)
I'm quite unimpressed with moose in the Anchorage bowl, sure they were cool the first half dozen times you see them. but a lifetime spent here in this city has made me bored to death with them. They dont even make any 'moo' sounds.

But I disagree that they should be shot just for getting in close proximity. 50-100 feet? thats some South Park 'Oh my gawd its coming right for us!' mentality. :D

spacemanspiff said:
But I disagree that they should be shot just for getting in close proximity. 50-100 feet? thats some South Park 'Oh my gawd its coming right for us!' mentality.
100 feet might be slightly debatable. 50 feet is a little over the length of two parking spaces. Remember the Tueller Drill -- the magic distance when Tueller first came up with the drill was 21 feet, and he has since said that today it should be farther. Noit that you automatically shoot anything within 21 (or however many) feet, but within that distance it's a threat, so you get your weapon ready so that you can shoot.

I'd say that same logic should certainly apply to a moose within 50 feet ... and quite possibly father than 50 feet.

I'm having a hard time considering anything that puts a measured distance on when to act. Just for example, if a lion is one block away, sitting on the ground and yawning, there really isn't any strong justification for kneeling, sighting in and shooting him, and saying that you were afraid because there was a lion down the block. If that lion down the block is already running hell bent for you, you waited too long.

Distance isn't important and shouldn't be a pre deciding factor, the thing that you consider should be the length of time that you have to respond.

We can consider the standard for most stand your ground laws, you can respond with lethal force when genuine fear of imminent danger exists. When dealing with wild critters, that is going to involve their behavior and proximity, right? Does it threaten? is it close? is there room to evade and escape?

An aggressive dog that I expect to attack will be within my drawing and trigger pulling range at fifty feet. a dog could cover the ground between me and fifty feet before I pull the trigger.

A moose? I don't even know where I would begin to start a decision making process. an urban moose is something that was just custom built for creation of wild scenarios.

How close should you let an angry moose get if you are in a parking lot full of trucks? a diner full of tables? an ice hockey rink? Should I use pepper spray instead of my .380, or maybe my stun gun?

Myself, just spitballing here, I believe that a moose can cover 50 to 100 feet in about as much time as it would take for me to draw or unshoulder a rifle, and if the thing is looking a weird, I will have a weapon ready in case he does go nuts.

My grandfather would never speak my name again if he found out that I was killed by an angry moose. I would be denied entrance to heaven.

Just to run on a bit more about the moose. A moose is supposed to be capable of 35 mph, or 50 fps. Even going about half that, 30 fps, a moose can probably start a charge and cover fifty feet in about a second, give or take. This situation should give plenty of warning signs, not like having a timer. So, I guess that I could probably put a round or two into a charging moose, but i would be much smarter to duck. My handgun has no knockdown power, and that moose is coming at me like a tractor.

Simply put, I don't want to ever deal with this. I'm glad that there aren't any moose in missouri.

Thanks guys, I am taking the family to Yellowstone in 4 weeks. Already this summer there have been two folks gored by elk and one by a bison.
Flying - so renting bear spray is my only option.
Besides utilizing common sense :D

Local deputy told me that he went to a house several years ago to make an arrest. As soon as he stepped on the property, the front door opened and a pitbull ran toward him. The dog latched on to his groin. He took out his .40 caliber service weapon and fired several rounds in the dog. Once it released him, the dog ran around the house three times and then died. Deputy had an extended stay in the hospital and took 6 weeks to recover completely.

Years later he encountered something very similar at another house. Door opens and a Rottweiler runs toward him. He unloaded on the dog before it could reach him.

I believe in Main if a moose gets within X distance (50-100 feet?) they shoot it.

It would be a good rule for AK but the in city fools want to see their moose (until they hit one and total their car)

Again, you can't shoot a moose in Maine if it gets within a 50 or 100 feet. If you shoot one without following hunting laws and get caught you'll have plenty of explaining to do.

Several people a year die from collisions with them. But attacks are very rare. The most dangerous animal in Maine is the deer tick.

Jim, guess what? the last time I went to yellowstone, my father was attacked by a grizzly, and they put him down when he charged a ranger. the bear, that is, not my father.

The day before, some doofus tried photographing an elk and wound up trapped in a tree.

The lesson to be learned here is to not walk into traps and not do stoopid things. carry bear spray if you go off alone. Don't poke the bears.

Briandg
Myself, just spitballing here, I believe that a moose can cover 50 to 100 feet in about as much time as it would take for me to draw or unshoulder a rifle, and if the thing is looking a weird, I will have a weapon ready in case he does go nuts.

Have you ever been to Yellowstone?

The lesson to be learned here is to not walk into traps and not do stoopid things. carry bear spray if you go off alone. Don't poke the bears.
——————————

Briandg
I promise not to poke the bears!!!!!

——————————

Briandg
I promise not to poke the bears!!!!!

Are we still talking about animals or are we now talking about moderators? :D

Have you ever been to Yellowstone?

Yes, a number of times, and every trip involved seeing bears in situations that could have created a dangerous situation. Back then it wasn't unusual for a bear to walk through the area where people were on foot. There was a relatively peaceful coexistence. Grizzlies were uncommon, and bear encounters rarely turned dangerous.

Yellowstone has been turned into disneyland. I'd be surprised to see it being anything like it was in the seventies.

This might be a bigger deal than I thought:

Taj was a four-month-old tiger cub when purchased at a Texas truck stop by the driver of an 18-wheeler lorry. But after Taj began tearing up the truck's cab, the driver contacted Austin Zoo to get the animal off his hands. The zoo now looks after the fully grown 17-year-old Bengal tiger male.

Taj is one of as many as 7,000 tigers living in the US either in zoos or privately owned, according to some estimates. That's nearly double the estimated 3,890 tigers still prowling in the wild around the world.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44444016

It's an enormous problem. It's a problem with dogs as well, there are breeders all over the country who sell pure, and hybrid wolves to anyone who will buy them. People want the big, wild and crazy predator type of pet. The same kind who want a fifteen foot long python.

Come on, you guys can all understand why the big cats are wanted. Some dog owners buy BIG dogs because they like big animals, some cat owners feel the same way. We buy special breeds that look like wildcats, some have leopard like spots. People buy huge cats because there is no thrill in owning a fourteen pound runt.

Myself, I'd love to have a bobcat around the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back