Thoughts on 7mm rem ultra mag rifle?

Years ago when the 7 & 300 ultra's were the new cats meow. A hunter fellow down the road owned one. {7-MM Remington Ultra} BIG fellow he is. 350 lbs or very close too it toting a big gun with a big scope afield in the first weeks of November. (A quiet very likeable individual.) Anyway.

One morning after walking quietly thru the woods still hunting about a mile and a half on the other side of the road that ran past their hunting shack. I stopped to have a cup of coffee with his hunting buddy about 10 ish AM. Well gents. Both these fellows had built their tree stands behind their log built hunting shack maybe all of 100 yrds away over looking a 20 acre cut hay field. That morning we two seated at the kitchen table sipping a hot cup of ARCO. All of a sudden we hear that 7 ultra mag beller. WOW!! I swear that rifle could be easily heard 15 miles away.
About 10-15 minutes went by and We two decided to strolled quietly out the the big fellers stand. No words exchanged. He pointed to the left side of the field that was up against a fenced wood line. We two walked about 75 yards to find a forked buck laying on the ground. {deer being shot in its white throat patch just below the animals lower jaw.} 139 gr factory S-P bullet actually decapitated the animal. Close by was what was left of its skull. The cap having one blood covered antler attached. [Enough antler left to identify the animals gender for its registration.]

I always thought my 270s 130 gr N-B.T. was a explosive cartridge scooting down range. close to 3200 fps {at muzzle.} until I seen what that Ultra Mag did at close range to a thin skinned animal. I commented to the shooter upon his walking up to us two at the kill site. [good shot. Good thing it was to the animals head and not its ribs. The big fellow replied: Don't know of another way. >with a big grin.

We field dressed and got it hung in the wood shed in short order. Later that evening I was so informed at my cabin to come to dinner at theirs.
Fried w/ onions butterfly-ed loin steak_ gravy & boiled potatoes. I brought two pints of newly canned green beans a loaf of homemade white bread and a 12 pk of coors. Good eats with 2-good long time friends of mine. Don't get much better then that.

Last edited:
That bullet was probably scooting along at something in the 3400 to 3500 fps range from the barrel--if it was lightly bonded design it sounds like it went off like a hand grenade on impact. Likely another example of over-driven bullet--like the doe blown almost entirely in half that was posted on another forum hit by a 300RUM. Good story though. ;):)

One of my uncles smacked a small antelope at short range with a .338 WM and a Nosler Ballistic Tip about eight years ago.
We have a picture of another member of the hunting party holding the animal up.
You can see the person smiling, and the sun setting, through the wound.
It was about 4" at the entrance, and 7" at the exit.
Absolutely brutal.

It wasted a lot of meat, but did drop the animal RIGHT THERE!

Likewise, I remember a fried 30-ish years ago who was overly proud of his 300 Win Mag. He shot a smallish CA coastal blacktail at about 100 yds, high rib cage shot. He hit the spine and the bullet exploded, literally took out the center of the spine. Didn't quite cut it in two, the sternum was still intact and held the carcass together. Our collective impression was a sarcastic "cool rifle".

Stopped by and talked with my friend yesterday--hate telling an accomplished hunter his business when I have zero experience with something--but he genuinely appreciated my concerns on matching the right cartridge selection to the range/animal. For all it's faults--I wouldn't mind having one--though I'm not going to run out and buy one any time soon--my biggest impression is that feeding the thing is VERY expensive--whether you use factory ammo or hand-loads.:)

I'll take your word for it.
I haven't fired any variety of RUM, but my first .35 Whelen put quite a hurtin' on the shooter. (Didn't help that it was only 7 lbs.) Snappy, snappy, and even killed a cheap scope base.
The second one isn't done yet, but I'm sure it'll still be unpleasant to shoot -- especially for other people, since I'm shaping the stock for me.
The whelen I recently bought--a ruger hawkeye--is pretty light weight also and strikes me as a nice, handy woods carry--the remmie 700 7 RUM--while a wonderfully built and shooting rifle IMO--strikes me as a bit hefty for woods hauling and bringing to bare

Yeah the RUM is probably a 26" tube.
While 7mm projectiles aren't too expensive, the 80+ grains of powder, along with shorter barrel life isn't appealing to me.

Part of why I was so happy with my .257 AI after using a 7mm Rem Mag since I was 16,was that I was a better shot with my .257.
Especially after I managed to bust my glasses and get a dandy "scope eye" with my 7mm Rem.

The rifle and the shooter work together.I'll mention again,your buddy needed your help sighting in.I'm thinking slipping him a dummy round would be revealing.

Regardless of the ballistic tables and marketing,a .270,or other,similar mild to shoot cartridge,will be a far more effective "long range" game slaying cartridge /rifle/shooter team ...IF the shooter can maintain focus and call which rib the crosshairs were on as recoil blacked the scope out.

I don't care if the bullet has an extra 500 fps and .150 BC..it does not mean anything if the shooter gets squinty and ducks as the trigger breaks.

Its not about being a weenie, we all have point where we find just a bit more rifle than we are comfortable with. Then it gets harder.We hear footsteps. We detect a little eye cringe as we are squeezing.We have to stop,breathe,regroup,focus on seeing the crosshairs on the target.

Its better,IMO,with your hunting rifle if you are more comfortable together.

You trust the rifle to not bust your chops...AND,...hearing that WHOP of a solid hit,success,makes for confidence.

There is nothing real special or magic about the .257AI. Its just easy for me to be successful with.That,and scoped its 7 lbs.

IMO,don't gear up for the 5% "maybe,in my imagination" shot.

Gear up for the 90% of the time shot.

Buying a Suzuki Hayabusa or whatever it is,screaming 200mph superbike,will not make you ready for the Isle of Mann TT race.

Buying the coolest kletter shoes,chocks,pitons,slings,and prettiest ropes won't make you ready for El Capitan.

IF your buddy wants to maximize the effectiveness of himself as a hunter,he has to start with a rifle he can sight in all by himself.

For a lot of folks,the"sweet spot" is real close to a .270.

Then work with range estimation,understanding trajectory,and fundamentals of reading and compensating for wind.

You need all of that,and more as a shooter,to live up to what the .270(or 30-06,or etc) can handily deliver.

Last edited:
What I have seen from suchhot cartridges is that they are a perfect match for Barnes X, Hornady GMX and such solid expanding bullets. I advise to stay away from everything else.
I've had the same experience with CUP and core (Speer) in my 7mm Remington. A 145@3160 took 2 deer and made a real mess. I would add the bonded bullets, Interbond and Accubond to the usable list.

For 99% of what most gun-board folk actually hunt, when not pounding away on the keyboard with recommendations, ...

... a 270 will get you the same happy result with less boom, less blast, and less shoulder wear.

That's a win/win/win. :cool:

"...zero it for him..." You can't. He has to sight it in.
"...risk of a "bullet vaporization"..." That can happen with varmint cartridge bullets shot with the wrong velocity or rifling twist, but doesn't happen much with larger bullets made for penetration. Anyway, loaded ammo is using typical big game hunting bullets. Accubonds and Partitions. Those don't "vaporize".
"...hottest commercial 7mm cartridges..." Kinda doubt that. Midway shows 5 brands of expensive(starts at $60 per 20) factory ammo. All but one are on 'No Backorder'. No stock at Graf's either. That might be about the time of year though.
"...what I think more likely..." He just missed altogether caused buy a lack of practice. The recoil is stout. A 140 grain bullet at 3425 FPS out of an 8.5 pound rifle(An M700 SPS SS weighs 7 5/8 pounds.) has 25.3 ft-lbs. of energy. A 160 at 3200 FPS out of the same rifle has 29.4 ft-lbs. The 7mm Rem Mag runs at lower speeds and therefore has less recoil.

...zero it for him..." You can't. He has to sight it in.

In an absolute his eyes, reach etc--you're right--but he's definitely going to be hitting the target--before the scope was sighted at almost two feet too high

"...risk of a "bullet vaporization"..." That can happen with varmint cartridge bullets shot with the wrong velocity or rifling twist, but doesn't happen much with larger bullets made for penetration. Anyway, loaded ammo is using typical big game hunting bullets. Accubonds and Partitions. Those don't "vaporize".

no comment

"...hottest commercial 7mm cartridges..." Kinda doubt that. Midway shows 5 brands of expensive(starts at $60 per 20) factory ammo. All but one are on 'No Backorder'. No stock at Graf's either. That might be about the time of year though.

Didn't say the core locks were one of the hottest cartridges--I said the 7mm RUM is one of the hottest commercial 7mm cartridges (so says bullet manfacturer's reload books--but what do they know?). Please acquire target before pulling trigger.

"...what I think more likely..." He just missed altogether caused buy a lack of practice. The recoil is stout. A 140 grain bullet at 3425 FPS out of an 8.5 pound rifle(An M700 SPS SS weighs 7 5/8 pounds.) has 25.3 ft-lbs. of energy. A 160 at 3200 FPS out of the same rifle has 29.4 ft-lbs. The 7mm Rem Mag runs at lower speeds and therefore has less recoil.

The recoil is "moderately stout"--my buddy has dropped big game all over the world including some of the big 5--and also shoots a wide range of high power cartridges including a 416 rigby and numerous weatherby magnums--I seriously doubt he has any issues with recoil with the 7mm RUM--I don't and I'm a small wimpy guy compared to my friend.

In the 2nd or 3rd edition of Phil Sharpe's "Complete Guide To Handloading", he mentioned a .50 BMG necked down to .22 as an experiment.

Also, around the WW II era, Frankford Arsenal built a "gun" of 10-caliber, to fire a 10-grain bullet. They achieved right at 10,000 ft/sec. I've no idea as to the propellant. The photo showed a rather short barrel with an outside diameter of several inches.

I have read that the maximum velocity of a bullet is limited by the velocity of the expanding gas. Unfortunately, I don't recall the number. Maybe a search for the propagation velocity of expanding gas from gunpowder might find something.

In the 2nd or 3rd edition of Phil Sharpe's "Complete Guide To Handloading", he mentioned a .50 BMG necked down to .22 as an experiment.
Despite my limited grasp of ignition physics--I have to ask, how would a .22 bullet (the small case mouth) succeed in getting a bullet out the barrel without over-pressuring? Are they using a powder that does much of it's approach to peak pressure well after the bullet says "bye bye" to the case?:confused::eek::D

Back