Thoughts on 7mm rem ultra mag rifle?

I remember some time ago on a savage forum I used to frequent someone posted a picture of a doe that was hit at fairly close range with a 300 RUM--it literally blew the animal almost entirely in half.

I think complete bullet failure (maximum explosive expansion) is more likely than "laser beam pass-though", at least with standard bullets.
But let him learn his lessons the hard way.

My personal opinion of the 7mm RUM, since everyone else felt it necessary to share, as well...
Good for conversation.
Useless in the field.

I like the 7mm. The RUM is a little hot for that close range, it accels at the longer ranges. Think bullet selection is the key. I shoot the 7mm mag not the RUM. For shorter ranges i would try the Nosler Accubond (not the accubond LR) or Nosler TTSX. The tipped bullets should provide quick expansion but the bonded or solid copper should help with weight retention and reduce excess damage. The Accubond LR ar great for long range but the seem to be explosive at close ranges. Ballistics tips or non bonded bullets may cause excess damage at short ranges or lack of penetration and weight retention in a heavy bodied animal. I would use minimum of 160 gr bullets.

For Moose or Elk I would use Nosler Partitions.

Thanks for the advice everyone--I'm going to have to eat a bit of crow when I go back to talk to my friend--I think I may have pumped him up a bit when I told him how much I liked shooting the gun--though to be fair I never did say I was either familiar with the cartridge nor had ever hunted with it. I must say I'm kinda surprised I didn't hear a single response along the lines of "I've used it and had great results"--there's almost always at least one ardent defender of any cartridge.;):)

I built a 7mm RUM for a customer who has dozens of rifles and hunts all over the world. It has become his favorite rifle. He has killed deer, antelope, elk, African plains game, European boar, etc, with the rifle and just loves it. He downed a mule deer at almost 600 yds last year and an antelope at about the same distance and swears he just barely held over. So, what you said about ideal hunting distances for the rifle is essentially how he hunts, longer ranges with heavy bullets. I do not know what condition the meat was in after he shot the animals, he is primarily a trophy hunter. But as far as a great Western states elk/antelope/mulie rifle, the 7mm RUM would be pretty tough to beat.
I'll go with "overkill" and "unnecessary".
To a point, I agree, but then I shoot a 7X57. If I can't get within 300-400 yds, I won't shoot. But for him, it works.

Perfect timing Scorch! lol. That actually sounds a lot like my friend--so I'm going to just say something like "as far as I can tell, this is probably not an ideal cartridge for close range thick woods hunting--but more suitable for longer range hunting with the right bullet (and I want to say right skills--but probably won't since he's tagged a thousand times more game than I ever will lol)

If he makes it work, let him run it.
Just let him know that if he has any more issues, it's him and not the rifle. ;)

To a point, I agree, but then I shoot a 7X57. If I can't get within 300-400 yds, I won't shoot. But for him, it works.
Based on that statement, others on these forums over the years, and personal conversations, I'd say we approach the matter fairly similarly.
My biggest 'boomer' is a .35 Whelen.
I do actually own a .338 WM, but it's in the hands of some one else. ...Because it was given to me, and I don't feel the need for it. There's plenty of justification for the cartridge, and I do not believe it is overkill for certain 'Western' hunting situations. But I don't need it in my life (not right now, at least).

I'm perfectly happy with what I've got, including 7x57mm, .270 Win, .30-06, .35 Whelen, .444 Marlin, the bushel of .30-30s, the .307 Win, an upcoming 8x57mm build, and the smaller stuff. There's plenty of bigger stuff available in my family, including .375 H&H, .458 WM, .416 Rigby, and .450 Nitro, but none of it is mine (I even skipped the 'boomer' heirlooms for smaller stuff).

Like I believe you feel, if I can't get close enough for 7x57mm or .307 Win to do the job, then more speed and a bigger hole really isn't going to make much of a difference.
When I hunt, I'm out there for the experience and to fill a tag cleanly. If I can't fill the tag the way that I want to, I end up with tag soup. I don't want to just shoot stuff and hope it dies, because I'm using the latest and greatest 'Ultra Magnum'.

My question(s) is this: I'm wondering if my buddy is at risk of a "bullet vaporization" or conversely a laser-beam pass through at closer ranges--

When using standard cup and core bullets if the impact speeds are above 2800 fps there is a very good risk of over expansion and poor penetration. Impact speeds below about 1800 fps often result in poor expansion and pass throughs with little expansion. This varies by the individual bullet, but is a good general guide.

This is where the premium bullets come into play. Some, such as the solid copper bullets hold together at very fast speeds, but don't reliably expand below about 2000 fps.

This is the route I'd go with this rifle if he wants to use it up close and at distance. He should be able to maintain 2000 fps for quite a distance with that rifle. If he were only anticipating really long shots I'd suggest a softer bullet that would expand at slower speeds for extreme long range shots.

The better high BC bullets have made the fast magnums less popular. Years ago, with old school bullet technology the method to achieve faster impact speeds down range was with more muzzle velocity. The better bullets today allow moderate rounds like 308, 7-08, and the 6.5's to start out at or near 2800 fps, yet still maintain 1800 fps much farther down range.

A very high BC 180 gr bullet fired from a 308 @ 2620 fps will impact with more velocity at 200 yards than an old school poor BC 180 gr bullet leaving the muzzle of a 300 magnum @ 3000 fps.

I kinda suspected this jimr40 and have already said something along those lines to him. I think I'm going to opt for the easy out and say "be sure to study up on the ballistic characteristics of the cartridge you choose before pulling the trigger on any game." ;):)

The RUM is a little hot for that close range, it accels at the longer ranges.

I can assure you, Sir, that no bullet fired from a handheld gun from earth goes faster at longer ranges ..... nor does it get out a spreadsheet ;)

..... "excels" ..... yeah, I hate autocorrect, too.

My unscientific first impression is that the whelen hits noticeably harder in recoil than the 7mm RUM.
I'll take your word for it.
I haven't fired any variety of RUM, but my first .35 Whelen put quite a hurtin' on the shooter. (Didn't help that it was only 7 lbs.) Snappy, snappy, and even killed a cheap scope base.
The second one isn't done yet, but I'm sure it'll still be unpleasant to shoot -- especially for other people, since I'm shaping the stock for me.

I'll take your word for it.
I haven't fired any variety of RUM, but my first .35 Whelen put quite a hurtin' on the shooter. (Didn't help that it was only 7 lbs.) Snappy, snappy, and even killed a cheap scope base.
The second one isn't done yet, but I'm sure it'll still be unpleasant to shoot -- especially for other people, since I'm shaping the stock for me.
Seriously--all the stuff I ever heard about the RUM cartridges had me ready to flinch--and no doubt the bigger ones probably deliver more of a kick than the 7mm--but when I fired it I was like "what the heck, this isn't NEARLY as bad as I thought it would be. " That comfort level I think translates to be more relaxed when shooting--which in turn probably helps with accuracy.

Back