Thoughts on 7mm rem ultra mag rifle?

stagpanther

A friend recently asked me to take a look at a remington 700 all-weather rifle chambered in 7mm rem ultra mag that he was having scope/accuracy issues with and to test it and zero it for him. Having never shot this chambering (and him supplying the ammo) I of course jumped at the chance to help him out.:)

Although he told me he had a shop gunsmith sight the scope for him--I approached it just like I do all new scope mountings--and simply started with a through the bore sight at 25 yds and work my way out. 4 shots later I was hitting the target just a few inches off from POA at 200 yds--which is the distance he asked me to zero the scope at. Turns out the scope was initially zeroed much too high. I was also using remmie 175 gr core locks--which, my friend being a hunter and not an anal paper puncher (like me) is not exactly world-renowned for accuracy. Nonetheless, the first two 3 shot groups were right at MOA at 200 yds.

Although I didn't know just how bad the reputation of the cartridge as a barrel burner was at the time--I did what I always do and generously spaced my shots with cooling intervals--and considering that it was well below freezing I didn't think there was much risk in over-heating. The last shot hit almost exactly on POA so I know he was going to at least get minute of deer or moose with that cartridge--which is what he intends on using it for.

When I got home I did some more research--and did not realize it is fact one of the hottest commercial 7mm cartridges there is--it seemed to me to be very soft shooting compared to other cartridges that have similar appetites for copious amounts of powder. I guess that's why it's also cited as being an especially "inefficient" cartridge.

My question(s) is this: I'm wondering if my buddy is at risk of a "bullet vaporization" or conversely a laser-beam pass through at closer ranges--which I think is what will happen in the woods up here depending upon the bullet selection. I have no experience with this cartridge hunting--but the velocity numbers are very impressive--especially as you move down in bullet weight. Like I said--he intends on using this on deer and moose at relatively close (200 yds or less, and most likely less than 100 yds).

What I have seen from suchhot cartridges is that they are a perfect match for Barnes X, Hornady GMX and such solid expanding bullets. I advise to stay away from everything else.

Thanks wyo--I don't want my buddy to come back and say "I'm sure I nailed him and the dang thing just ran off" OR, what I think more likely--"I hit him solid and about 1/4 of the meat is blood-shot.":eek:;)

Any reason why he went with the ultra mag over the standard 7mm Rem Mag or the 7mm WSM?

I'll bet he went there because he could.

I wanted a 7mmSTW years ago ..... glad I did not go there.

It was a gift--so my buddy did not actually purchase it. He's not one for getting caught up in the intricacies of ballistics--so I just want to pass him some practical advice on using it for hunting--which I have no experience with--and is why I asked here. ;)

I will say this--the 7 RUM is very flat-shooting for a respectable-sized bullet. that would have some value in some way I would think in terms of a large MPBR

Oh--I didn't mention it--great rifle--if a tad heavy--but I'm sure that weight is at least partially responsible for making it a soft recoil for so much powder.

Last edited:
I'm trying to picture where in the Northwoods that could be appreciated .....
He hunts all over the world--so I suspect he'll find a use for it somewhere. Do you think it's overkill for closer ranges?

Do you think it's overkill for closer ranges?

For a deer? Probably. I've seen the mess a 130gr bullet at 3K+ can make at "closer ranges" ..... I imagine adding 10-15% to the velocity and 10 to 20 grains to bullet weight would not make things less messy ....

It would do well with heavier bullets, monolith bullets or something like the Nosler ABLR.

If it were me i probably wouldn't go lighter than 160gr.

If he's worried about it he can always gift it to me.

All these bigger better mag cartridge's have about convinced me that a lot of people are not gonna be happy with any cartridge till is actually does fire a lazer beam!

Got my deer yesterday, measured 3.8 miles!

ll these bigger better mag cartridge's have about convinced me that a lot of people are not gonna be happy with any cartridge till is actually does fire a lazer beam!

Got my deer yesterday, measured 3.8 miles!

I CERTAINLY would NOT be happy ..... burnt hair would taint the meat.

If he's worried about it he can always gift it to me.
So you think the best approach is for me to tell him "This is a really crappy cartridge for what you intend to use it for, and your safest/best bet is to give it to an FL forum member who has graciously volunteered to protect you from certain disappointment by adopting your rifle?" Might try that myself. lol

Last edited:
I don't need one.
I don't golf,but each golf club is designed for a particular range.
Sometimes an extreme range driver is the proper club.
Sometimes a 4 iron might be a better choice.

For most folks under most circumstances the guy who shows up with,for example,a .270, has a "golf club" well suited to shooting medium game to 400 yds plus. If you are looking at 300 yds plus,a 7mm 08 is a very balanced tool for the job.(Please,I'm not limiting YOUR 7-08. I'm sure its great to 600 yds plus)

I can think of few situations where I would prefer to carry a 7mm RUM over a .
.270,or 280,or even a 7mm Rem mag.

Even a gift rifle would likely stay in the safe.

I can think of few situations where I would prefer to carry a 7mm RUM over a .
.270,or 280,or even a 7mm Rem mag.
Like? (I'm genuinely interested in making some good recommendations to my friend, not challenging your judgement)

I used a 7mm Rem mag for decades.I've had 3. I still have one I use for coyotes.
I got tired of the mess.Even rib/heart lung shots were overkill.

I built my .257AI. I have a very useful trajectory while scaling down the destruction. It kills fine.

Without being judgmental of others,I backed off the idea that an "ultimate tool" of a rifle prepared me for extreme range hunting.

I like for my big game shots to be at ranges that would be 50/50 or better on a prairie dog. I can let a 600 or 700 yds shot walk away. I will still eat OK.
It might be a75% success shot.I don't like the 25%.

I,myself,would not use the extra range capability,and I probably would be unhappy with the destruction of a100 yd shot with the 7mm RUM
I found my sweet spot with my 257 AI. A cartridge like a 270is just a "big brother" step up.

You began by telling us you had to sight in your friend's rifle for him.

That tells me that for now,a 7-08 or .308 will be fine for any shot on a big game animal that he has the skills to consider.

You can't buy ANY rifle that gives you ove 400 yd capability.

But I have witnessed lasered over 600 yd one shot clean kills with a .308.

And yes,it involved a Kestrel wind gauge,a laser,target knobs,etc.

And wearing out one very good Badger barrel,then replacing it with a Krieger.

Lot of rounds down range.

Last edited:
Thanks for that HiBC--I had a bit of an uneasy feeling after I familiarized myself with the actual performance of the cartridge vs. what my friend told me he wanted to use it for. On that note what scenario would the cartridge be ideal for?

You began by telling us you had to sight in your friend's rifle for him.

That tells me that for now,a 7-08 or .308 will be fine for any shot on a big game animal that he has the skills to consider.

You can't buy ANY rifle that gives you over 400 yd capability.

Well said.

On that note what scenario would the cartridge be ideal for?

Good question. I set up my 7mm Rem Mag (M-70 Laredo) for when I was watching over calving. I don't use it for big game hunting.

The last time I went pronghorn hunting,I got my buck at 250 or so yards,resting over the top of a fencepost. I was using my replica 1903A4 with a 2 1/2 x scope. One shot and down. The Laredo was at home.

Once again,I'm not judging those who hunt at extreme ranges,IF they have the skills and experience.

But I can't tell you the 7RUM is good for "Cross valley elk hunting" or Migrating Caribou" because I just don't do those things.

I have actually no need for a RUM.

Dropped my doe at 413 yards with my Stevens 200 7mm-08AI. Toss up between the reamer or the Vortex 4-12X42 scope as far as most money spent on it. Yes, still shooting factory barrel.

If i needed/wanted a cartridge like the RUM, i would have gotten the reamer and turned my 7mm Rem Mag into 7mm Dakota.

But in the intrest of your friends safety, i would gladly help him by relieving him of such a burden... :D

Back