This is Why You Should Research Your Firearms Instructors

Dragline45

Over the past decade there seems to be slew of people who think they are qualified to be firearms instructors because they either took a couple classes themselves, are vets, LEO's or a number of other reasons. This particular guy Dallas Lloyd who is an Army vet and claims to train law enforcement is the perfect reason to research an instructor before you spend your hard earned money on their classes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bm3GgDxPOM

1. Your first plan should be to floor it and get out of there

2. You want to keep your eyes on the threat as much as possible, by the time you jump through the back seat and lean out the door, you have no idea where the threat now is to engage.

3. Everyone knows car doors do not stop bullets, it would make far more sense to take cover behind the truck itself if you need to bail out of the car.

4. Never throw your gun on the ground

5. Ditch the Hondo roll :D

Last edited:
personally i like to roll the windows down on all 3 doors first then drop my pistol to the ground thru the window then do the tactical fat lazy bellyflop out of the car before i try and find my gun. I also have firearm classes.:D

"Yesterday I couldn't even spell 'instructor' and now I are one."
Hmm, think I'll try that, right after first seeing if my chiropractor will be available.

Over the past decade there seems to be slew of people who think they are qualified to be firearms instructors because they either took a couple classes themselves, are vets, LEO's or a number of other reasons

Boy, i couldnt agree MORE.

The fact that you can do something, does NOT mean you can TEACH it. Ive seen lots of guys that are GREAT tactically, but couldnt teach anything of value.

Unfortunately, for the next 10 years or so the firearms training industry will be full of guys that did a tour "in the sandbox" and now have their own training company.

For those of us with legitimate training backgrounds this is a frustrating turn of events. With so much smoke, it hard to find the fire.

oh dear.

have read several discussions on training lately, and they bring to mind the requirement for 'continuing education' for some professionals (including engineers). at some point, you exhaust courses that apply to your field of work, so you end up having to take unrelated courses just to keep your professional license current. wasting time and money along the way.

i can see some doofus pushing for continuing training for CCW holders, requiring everyone to fulfill some arbitrary list of required courses.

not good.

two aspects in play: how much training do you need for your own purposes, and how much can you prove you have taken? you can learn plenty from others without getting some certificate to hang on your wall.

looks like a good way to shoot someone else.

how about swings? jungle gyms? carousels? little rocking horses? climbing walls?

good grief.

you would think they make up stuff just to fill time and make their 'class' seem like you got your money's worth.

If the SHTF, wouldn't mind having either of those two gents riding shotgun.

""When your best defense is a quick, hard offense, the lessons learned here may prove invaluable. This is a "no holds barred" training area."" *[The Firing Line, Tactics and Training Forum]

Check your 6.

PS: Gotta try one of those treadmills...

Training is like any other commodity you can purchase. It comes in a range of quality and price. These days it's a lot easier to evaluate the quality of firearms training than it has ever been.

When you train to do something, think what sort of options you are eliminating by carrying through the action. For example, by getting out of the driver's seat to carry out his tactifoolery, the person in the video eliminated the option of being able to move the vehicle rapidly if necessary. By unlocking/opening the doors, he eliminated a layer of access protection between himself and those outside his vehicle. Don't take this paragraph as an enumerated, exhaustive list of the errors made in the video, it's just a comment about something I've been thinking about lately.

Back