This is ridiculous.....

Is your stock made of plastic? I know a lot of people have greater confidence with plastic stocks. I'm not one of them. I can tolerate a plywood stock and have full confidence in them but prefer Walnut. I've heard some fairly negative comments about flimsy and flexible plastic stocks that come standard with so many rifles today. Maybe yours is one of the better ones. I know this can be a frustrating thing to work through when you're in the middle of it. Hopefully, you will get the problem resolved. There are some rifles that mysteriously just won't live up to the reputation of an otherwise reputable model. If my poking a little fun at the situation caused irritation, please accept my apology. We all want to help. Regards, Pathfinder.

I have rifles with wood and synthetic/plastic stocks, and have found the later tend to be the better choice, especially if youre shooting across the whole year, and in any weather.

Ive had wood stocked rifles that shot phenomenally too, but most of those stocks were completely sealed. A couple of those were factory Remington 700V stocks, that werent completely floated too. They had that little "pad" right at the end of the forearm.

These were shot with my 700V in .308 at 100 yards, prone, off a bipod.....

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

This was shot with my one AR, an Armalite M15A4(T), again, 100 yards, prone off a bipod....

ry%3D400

I dont have any pics handy, but I shot some really amazing groups working up loads for my old Savage Scout, with its oft complained about (on the net anyway, it never bothered me) plastic stock, pencil thin barrel, and Scout scope. Used a bipod for those groups too. One 20 shot group (shot over about a half hour), was right around an inch.

I shot a lot of HP, and DCM, military type matches back in the 80's and 90's. I dont normally shoot off a bench, and Im very familiar with shooting with a sling, and in all positions (no slings offhand in matches we shot). Ive qualified expert on a number of occasions, and Ive never shot groups like above (shot some pretty good ones all the same though :)), from a slung in, prone position, even with a couple of the same guns above. Ive only shot those size groups, from a bipod, sandbags, or a ruck, and the majority of them were off bipods.

Not all bipods are created equal either, and that has a lot of bearing on what you get. My bipods are all "low" versions. Not the bench version, but something in the range of 6"-9" or so. They need to be reasonable in height, so you get a more natural position. If you have to strain beyond what you would normally shoot without one, youre probably not going to do well with it.

Most of my rifle shooting these days is done with iron or red dot sighted guns, and from field positions, mostly cross legged sitting and offhand (traditional target, and a couple of others). My one AR, and a recent Mossberg MVP, are the only ones that are scoped, and draw blood, and they are usually just critters in the garden and out across the back fields.

Some guns are just use specific type guns, and are set up in the manner they are going to be used. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you stay flexible, and dont get stuck in that rut. :)

On this particular rifle its is a composite stock....and i just got today from amazon a promising bipot UTG LOW PROFILE SWAT BIPOD. I will just for the benefit of the doubt go ahead an swap out that scope and try a different one on that rifle and also try a proven rifle that shoots well with that scope

that's a perfect bipod for stable shooting. ive got a couple myself. i promise you'll see a difference, especially shooting from prone. it's just too hard to get up on the 10" vangaurd and keep it steady a the same time, plus once the shot is taken, you dont know what that springed pivot head is doing

4 groups with 10 rounds sounds a bit odd to me too--but you say the groups more or less clocked around your POA--which leads me to believe "something's loose" somewhere--I would think if it were inherently inaccurate you would simply be getting wide dispersion but more or less in the same area of POA. That's a premium priced rifle--I'd say it's time to get on the phone and call Browning--after reading some reviews it appears that expectations are for sub-MOA right from the git-go.

latest report

Well im glad to teport some improvements. So i decided to remoce the vangard bipod and take some shoots of sandbags and them to install the new bipod bu UTG TACTICAL..
And here is what happen.

Shooting prone of a soft surface...shooting 139 grain hornady factory load. 5 shoots per group.

With the vangard bipod at 100 yds and no rear sand bags inwas getting 2.5 moa. ..with rear sand bags no difference.

Shotting without bipods. Rear and front sand bags. Result were 1.5 moa at 100yds

Shopting with a rear sand bag and UTG bipod. Result was 1.0 moa at 100 yds.

So i think next step wout be tontske thevladt configuration and step it up to 200 yards and see what happens

Also sounds like he's using different ammo from the first try. That might be all that needs to be done.

Personally, my 7mm likes everything from 140 up and really shines with 160SMK.

Yes, there is bi-pod haters here for sure. ;) The best group I have shot in my life (0.44 inch) was off a bi-pod. And to top it off, it was one of those made in China Winchester bi-pods from Walmart, with a $200 NEF Handi Rifle and a $70 scope. Not a fluke either. I consistently push half inch groups with this set up. But, it took two years to find a reload that works.

agree

Totally agree qith you there... that original vangard bipod was over q00 bucks canadian...the new utg bipod was just 35 buck but its definately better constructed and it works well... i love it

A great scope means nothing if the rifle doesnt shoot the ammo your putting in it. You need to find the ammo your rifle likes...this is of course assuming you have the scope on correct and its tightened down good.

So i took this guy out yesterday and a was shooting 3 groups ..all holes tauching each other...at 300 yads..very amazing eh...all thanks to reloading

Back