Thinking of a Pocket Pistol Caliber for a small guy.

I had the original LCP for at over a decade. Switched to the LCP Max a few months back… very happy with it.

mvbwYUt.jpg

Larger magazines (I ran Magguts in the original LCP… 7 round flush fit), better sights and the slide locks back on empty. Magguts said they are looking into a kit for the LCP Max magazines… once those are released, I’ll convert all of my magazines.

lee n. field said:
That may be a matter of, in the future, getting pants with bigger pockets.

I use the Wrangler Riggs pants, with a generous front pocket that easily holds either a snub 38 or a pocket 9 in a good pocket holster with no issue.

Suggestion. I was limited to what I could carry in my pocket by not being able to draw the gun in a firing grip. It was the monkey trying to pull his fist out of a jar. The pocket was big enough. The opening, wasn’t.

I’m an appendix carry guy. But, occasionally, I want to tuck in a shirt. I’ve been carrying a P365 in these pants, on and off for a couple weeks. I’m digging them.

https://ccwbreakaways.com/

Don't buy any mousegun in .22, .25, or .380 until you've put 50 rounds of FMJ thru a Kel-Tec P-32. It's actually pleasant, and it hits like a brick thru a plate-glass window.

The P32 is a great little gun, maybe the best of the original KelTecs. Mine was reliable, but difficult ( for me ) to shoot accurately. Gave it to my son who shoots it very well. I’ve had the P 3AT, LCP, and aP238 (a wonderful gun) that a grandson was gifted. I bought a Ruger LCP Max that is reliable, but not particularly enjoyable to shoot, but was my EDC for a while. Then I picked up a Sig P365 in .380. For me, at least, it is accurate, reliable, and easily carried in a pocket. I absolutely love this pistol and would highly recommend it.

I was in the same boat a few months back. What I picked up was a Ruger LCR in .22 magnum. Shoots like a dream and utterly reliable.

An older Seecamp 32, produced when Larry still owned the company, rides in my pocket every day. I consider it a 'get off me' gun, but it's better than nothing and I'm confident no one in the office will ever know it's there. They aren't range toys by any means. Underwood has a 55 grain Lehigh Defender solid copper load that works well in my Seecamp. You don't want a .32 that expands (Gold Dot). Fortunately, most don't due to low velocity in these short barrels.

If you can find a reliable locked breech .380 that fits in your pocket, that's the way I would go. If buying a blowback gun, .32 will be much easier to shoot.

I have a 950 Jetfire, which is a nice little pocket pistol. However, it will not feed hollow points and is off my carry list. When I'm not carrying a full-size automatic, I generally carry a 649 Bodyguard; it's easy to load and unload like any revolver.

I have a 950 Jetfire, which is a nice little pocket pistol. However, it will not feed hollow points...

I doubt if HP's would go fast enough from that short barrel to expand, so reliable feeding FMJ's could be the best option.

a Kel-Tec P-32. It's actually pleasant, and it hits like a brick thru a plate-glass window.

In the world of James Bond, I think they have different bricks, plate glass windows and .32 autos than we do.
:D

A word about pocket guns and small hands, hand size isn't the only thing to consider. Hand STRENGTH and the gripping area of the slide and its spring tension need to be balanced.

My mother was a small woman, 4'10" (and a half! damnit!:D) and wore a size 3 1/2 ring. Dad got her a .25, an Ortgies, if I recall correctly (early 70s) and she could not load it. The stiff spring (blowback gun) and the tiny slide were simply more than she could manage. She could chamber a round with a Colt Govt Model (cocking the hammer first made it easier) and there was more slide area to grip. It wasn't the easiest thing for her to manage but she could do it. She just didn't have the hand strength to work that little .25 slide.

Had Dad gotten her one of the tip barrel Berettas (not sure if they were on the market then) she might have liked it, she hated that Ortgies.

Nearly everything mentioned in this thread wasn't on the market back then, be thankful you have so many options to choose from today.

My personal pocket semi auto is a WWII Mauser HSc .32ACP. All steel, other than the grips. Recoil is insignificant, its large enough for me to use adequately (I have larger hands, so the really small stuff works poorly for me) and while some people think its too heavy, I love the weight you can actually feel. Also the weight fits with my personal philosophy that in the absolute worst case, when everything else fails, your pistol is an impact weapon, and I prefer something steel with a bit of heft, for that. ;)

Quote=
My personal pocket semi auto is a WWII Mauser HSc .32ACP.

Had one also in the 80's and liked the modern sleekness about it for the times. Unfortunately it had the Nazi signage and the collector value drove me to sell it. Guy made an offer I could not refuse. Anyway. back to now. Beretta Tomcat fills the bill for me. As you said it has some heft to it and I can make head shot accuracy out to 25ft. Plus no cocking. Which would be a real bear with this one. Simply tip up the barrel and insert your chambered round. First pull, double action. Single action there after. Get the stainless version, stronger frame.

I've been carrying a Taurus PT 22 for the better part of 20 years now....

Holy crap, closer to 30!

It's been 100% reliable for me using Winchester Wildcat ammunition.

I carry a PT22 as a backup to a Taurus PT732 in .32ACP.
The PT22 (PLY 22 actually) runs well on CCI Mini-mags.

Hey Rojack,
Think it would be worth checking out the LuckyGunner Youtube Channel, he does a lot of pocket pistol tests (including ballistic gel) with calibers from 22 to 380 and everything in-between.
Not sure how you feel about revolvers but he makes some good points on pocket revolvers chambered in 32 H&R Mag, apparently ballistically similar to .38 SP but less kick, better shot placement and 7 shot capacity as apposed to 5 in a 38 snub.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz_m4M8CAe0&ab_channel=LuckyGunnerAmmo
Cheers,

Back