The US military is shooting +P+ now?

I did. I said it is only being used as a trainer and VERY limited.

Winchester isn't the sole producer of training 9mm. It is a limited agreement.

Lake City is the producer trainer and combat NATO ammo.

I've only purchased 5.56 Federal overrun contract DOD ammo with the DOD sku. I've never seen US military SKU 9mm.

This is not the SKU.

This is marketing.

It’s the designation that was assigned as part of the M17 competition. I’m not sure what more to tell you. If you’re annoyed that Winchester is then using that designation to try and get civilian sales, okay, though that seems a pretty common strategy in this industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The key here is "developed" for the contract. If you investigate that SKU for the ammo you are talking about, you will not find it in the DOD registry.

It can be the exact same ammo, but the SKU will be different. I'll post up a picture of my 62gr DOD 5.56 from Federal. It is totally boring without marking but what it is.

Additionally, this isn't the sole training ammo as the articles leads you to believe. The DOD training round is out of Lake City. Winchester/Olin has absolutely no role in Lake City.

I'm just saying don't think this is the average training round. It also is NOT the deployed round. (your training round during on deployment is your active duty round)

Meh. Winchester is doing a LOT of 100% false marketing on their ammo right now with their duty/forged/Lake City usages.

This is also no faster than Fiocchi CMJ 115gr.

Truly, a "meh" distinction. :)

I don’t believe I personally have said it is the average training round, though I get your point.

To me all of them do marketing. I’m not sure Olin Corp. is any more egregious than anyone else, but if you see it differently fair enough.

As I pointed out in the contracts above, Olin not having a role in Lake City doesn’t mean it isn’t producing ammunition under contract for the Army. In reading the American Rifleman article I don’t see where it claims this is the sole training round (I wasn’t under that impression).

Last edited:
Just a comment on the pressure values:

SAAMI, CIP and NATO EPVAT testing methods differ slightly, so comparing pressure values is not entirely fair because the methods could result in different values for the same ammo tested. I don't know how much different. It's just something to keep in mind.

According to the Wikipedia page, "Due to NATO EPVAT using technically differing proof test standards than SAAMI and C.I.P., EVPAT pressures cannot be directly compared with SAAMI and C.I.P. pressures."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_EPVAT_testing#Proofing

So if we both agree that the American Rifleman article does not in fact claim that the M1152 is the sole training round, and as best as I can tell the article I linked is the only one posted in this thread (about the M1152 that is), then to what articles were you referring when you said, “This isn’t the sole training ammo as the articles leads you to believe?”

Last edited:
rock185 said:
I am kind of surprised that our military went to the trouble and expense of having Winchester develop this newer load, since 9MM NATO is the standard and has been in use by the US military and NATO partners for so many years. Listed as training ammo on the civilian market, an NRA article indicates, "The Ball cartridge is intended for use against enemy personnel".... Would the higher velocity and flat point make it a more effective anti-personnel round? I admit I don't know, but perhaps the military thinks so? I'm even more surprised that this higher pressure load has been released for sale on the commercial market. In any case, I like it and recently acquired another case of the stuff. Whether the military is actually using it or not, I've not seen anything to indicate to me that the M1152 round is a "bunch-o crap".

During the M17 Trials the US Military was actually playing with the idea of potentially replacing 9mm NATO and thus encouraged applicants to supply firearms chambered in cartridges other than 9mm, so presumably they weren't exactly satisfied with the performance of the standard issue 9mm NATO load, however, they obviously didn't take the decision to potentially drop 9mm NATO lightly and the M1152 Ball round was most likely an attempt to increase the performance of 9mm so that the Army wouldn't need to replace the 9mm cartridge altogether which would not only cost them more but also potential result in a logistics issue with supply lines in a conflict, especially one in which we were fighting alongside allied forces who still use 9mm NATO.
As for the question of whether or not a flatpoint projectile traveling at higher velocity would be more effective, absolutely. A flatpoint bullet crushes more tissue as it passes through whereas a more rounded or conical point slips through it. Some would argue that any increase in effectiveness would be marginal, and that may be so, as it wasn't ever formally adopted as a replacement for the existing 9mm NATO load, so maybe they tested it and it didn't make enough of a difference to matter. Who knows?

However, I will say this, the adoption of overpressure 9mm loads has certainly benefited Law Enforcement, or at least they claim that it has, and I personally don't doubt that a double-stack magazine full of hot 9mm JHPs would get the job done. However, those are JHPs whereas the Military uses FMJ, so it's entirely possible that the extra energy of the M1152 Ball round is wasted because that FMJ is just going to punch through the enemy without dumping any of that extra energy into them.

I love 9mm NATO, well in the before time when it was commonly available:). I always felt like it fell somewhere between standard velocity stuff and “REAL” +P stuff. I mean it’s definitely higher pressure then standard pressure stuff but seems mildly so.

Wasn’t there talk of a HP or HP like round for the M17/18? I may be mistaken but I though I read something back when it first started rolling along.

However, I will say this, the adoption of overpressure 9mm loads has certainly benefited Law Enforcement, or at least they claim that it has, and I personally don't doubt that a double-stack magazine full of hot 9mm JHPs would get the job done. However, those are JHPs whereas the Military uses FMJ, so it's entirely possible that the extra energy of the M1152 Ball round is wasted because that FMJ is just going to punch through the enemy without dumping any of that extra energy into them.

Keep in mind that the M17 trials also had a JHP component when it came to ammunition, the M1153. That has been tested as well and while not as high pressure as the M1152 it is still claimed to be +P (Edit: actually according to the AR article it is the same pressure, though even taking the heavier projectile into account the given velocities are so different that the two cartridges being the same pressure doesn’t make sense to me). How widespread the adoption for that is I do not know.

Last edited:
Y'all are focusing on pressure but you need to keep in mind that the NATO specification for 9mm isn't for one cartridge. The NATO spec covers a range of bullet weights, from 108 grains to 128 grains. The 9mm cartridge was originally developed as a 124-grain, and most ammo you find for sale that's labeled as "NATO" today has a 124-grain projectile. However, the most common 9mm plinking ammos in the U.S. are all 115-grain.

The use of the term "overpressure" to refer to ammunition that conforms to an accepted standard is kind of off-the-wall.

The term generally refers to ammunition that unintentionally exceeds the standard to which it was intended to conform. Ammunition that is essentially defective by virtue of not conforming to the pressure it was specified ,or intended, to be. Or, potentially, I suppose, it could also refer that was intentionally loaded to exceed a standard that it purports to adhere to.

The connotation of the term "overpressure" is not one of a round that conforms to an accepted pressure standard, but specifically one that does not.

Since the point of language is communication, coming up with personal definitions for common terms tends to be non-productive and often causes needless confusion and disagreement--as we've seen here.

In purchasing 30,000 rounds from a Canadian military contractor, it was designated a Sub-Gun use? It was going to be used by Canadian Gun Club members (not to be resold for profit) it came in cardboard boxes of 64.
Our members were shooting this ammo in Glock 17s. And having failure to fire (the primers were too hard, designed for use in Sten Guns) one of our shooters was an engineer. And developed a method of tenderizing? the primers, using a hand primer seater, to give the primer an extra squeeze. Spreading it a little. Something you could do while watching TV! Sending a box of this ammo to Glock, had them increase the angle of the firing pin, making it sharper in effect. Better, but not a perfect cure.
We all bought that little plier like seating tool! My Browning High Power worked fine.

I rented range time to El Al security, and when they changed pistols from BHP to Glock 17s their Israeli manufactured black tip Mil-Spec Ammo had no failure to fire what so ever. Why pay me, when the Police would let them use their ranges for free?
They had some range exercises, that did not bear Police scrutiny? I worked with those Special Forces Chaps for 16 years. No complaints. What was that WW11 saying, loose lips sink ships?

Again though, Fiocchi has 2 loads that are just has hot as this. I think S&B does too, but can’t recall if it is still being produced.

This isn’t going to be used in actual fighting. NATO 124/125gr can go as fast (Fiocchi), can have a flat point (Fiocchi) which is meaningless in 9mm with its tiny meplat..

Gimmick. No better than already available to the public and the article reads to suggest something that isn’t happening. The US military uses DOD Lake City NATO. We call it warm American Eagle :)

Appears to be a 1,000 articles out there that just cite each other. They are wrong :)

wild cat mccane said:
This isn’t going to be used in actual fighting.

You know this how?

So far in this thread you've said:
wild cat mccane said:
M1152 is 115gr is trainer.

BUT...it's trainer that isn't actually used. We know this because it's a Winchester/Olin round.

Winchester no longer is the private partner of the EVERY DEPLOYED round DOD produced Lake City plant.

The US military isn't using this round.

Which you then essentially backed off of by saying:
wild cat mccane said:
I did. I said it is only being used as a trainer and VERY limited.
"Isn't actually used" is not the same as "VERY limited".

You've also stated:
wild cat mccane said:
Olin has no presence in Lake City. DOD requires all rounds are through Lake City.

This is despite the fact that Olin has had and currently has military contracts, linked by me previously, that involve ammunition production at the Oxford, Miss. plant.

You then went on to state:
wild cat mccane said:
This isn’t the sole training ammo as the articles leads you to believe

And yet you followed that up with the contradictory statement of:
wild cat mccane said:
Just reread the article and the box. It does not say this "IS" the training round.

But contradicted yourself again now with:
wild cat mccane said:
the article reads to suggest something that isn’t happening.
Despite the fact that you just previously agreed the article doesn't suggest this is the sole training round. So what exactly is the article suggesting?

wild cat mccane said:
NATO 124/125gr can go as fast (Fiocchi)

How can a heavier projectile (124 gr vs. 115 gr) at a lower pressure (we've established 9mm NATO is typically 36,500 PSI whereas M1152 is 39,700 PSI) go as fast? I don't see any 124 gr 9mm on Fiocchi's site that is listed as going 1326 fps. The highest I see is 1175 fps. https://fiocchiusa.com/shop/ammo/handguns/9-luger.html?grain_rifle=220

This is the second thread in recent memory where you have come in making some very definitive statements that frankly can be proven incorrect without that much effort. You then backpedal rather than simply admit you were in error.

Last edited:
Can we not do the whole multi-quote argument thing? That's typically where threads fall apart entirely.

Honestly, it's not a battle of wills here gentlemen. Also, when you start going back and cherry-picking statements out of context or otherwise to point out contradictions, much less to shame them over an inaccurate statement which they have since humbly accepted they were wrong about by ceasing to mention, you're only making yourself look petty/spiteful and hurting the credibility of your own previous statements by giving the distinct impression that you cannot get by on the validity of your own statements and therefore feel the need to attack your opponent's credibility in order to make your own statements appear more valid.

Sometimes the true "winner" of an argument (a term that I use for lack of a better one) is the one who knows when to stop arguing, regardless of whether or not they were right or wrong, because at least they knew when to quit. If your statements are 100% factual and verifiable, then you needn't argue any further because you are undeniably correct under scrutiny. On the other hand, if your statements are based largely upon opinions rather than facts, then likewise you needn't argue any further because your statements are likely verifiably false under scrutiny.

Appears to be a 1,000 articles out there that just cite each other. They are wrong.

That's why I abandoned my youthful aspirations of investigative journalism, because it doesn't exist anymore. Nobody takes the time to actually research or confirm the validity of a story they're running because that would take time and they can't be late getting an article out there, even if it is better written, includes more facts/info, or corrects some of the misinformation of the other hastily-written articles, just copy what everyone is saying then cite their articles as a source, that way if it all turns out to be wrong, then you can just blame the other article.

Don't even get me started on Sensationalism, more commonly referred to as "Click-bait" these days... That's what really killed my interest in a career in the field of journalism, favoring exaggeration over accuracy and emphasizing excitement over facts.

This isn’t about being petty. It’s about pointing out inaccuracies that are being said as if they are definitive facts. I’m still waiting to find out what actually is inaccurate about the American Rifleman article as everything that has been pointed out seems, as best as I can find, generally correct. If me doing that bothers you, feel free to add me to your ignore list.

It doesn't bother me, I'm just saying that it would be a shame if the thread derails into an argument between two people, with all new posts being nothing more than a back and forth argument in which neither side is willing to concede because it has ceased to be a matter of facts but rather a matter of pride/ego.

We're not there yet, but I'm used to seeing that sort of thing begin with multi-quote arguments, so I'm merely saying that if you are correct, then that should be enough. One way or another, there's no sense in persisting in an argument if you are verifiably correct and your opponent is just endlessly replying to facts with opinions based on assumption.

So just keep that in mind and if it ever starts going there, then drop it. Believe it or not, I'm trying to be helpful here because I've been there before, I've been that guy who just couldn't quit because I was right, my opponent was very wrong, and so long as they kept posting I would counter it, even though nobody else was even posting in the thread anymore, and obviously no amount of facts was going to change the mind of my opponent, so it was a waste of time and effort. That's all.

Your own comments are further derailing the thread (if that's how you see the exchange above). I've stopped and wild cat hasn't responded. As best as I can tell the argument between he and I is over. If you want to discuss maintaining the moral high ground in an argument, you're welcome to PM me. If you want the thread to get back on topic the best way is to frankly stop discussing things that you think are in fact off topic.

Back