The Smart Gun is Here

How here's a thought, If we take the scenario that only smart guns are legal, and disabling the smart mechanism is a crime, would a criminal (felon/prohibited person) be legally protected from prosecution for doing that, they way they are protected from prosecution for failing to register a gun?

A convicted felon caught with a gun can be prosecuted for having the gun, but cannot be prosecuted for not registering the same gun, because it violates their rights....

Yes, but the whole problem of prosecuting felons for failing to register guns (which they're not allowed to possess in the first place) runs afoul of the A5. Prosecuting a felon for: (a) possessing a pistol; and (b) disabling the "smart technology" would not run into the same problem. Prosecuting them for failing to apply for a permit to disable same (for example) might.

Disabling the technology would be similar to dremeling off the serial number.

Permanent defacement of an s/n would be the same as installing removable parts?

That's an interesting scenario, I'm not sure I agree.

However that brings up the question of 'non-smartchip-modified grips', etc being illegal to even own. And internals, if necessary...how does legislation manage to determine that every firearm is still safe when the internals are modified? That modification of internals would need to be done by a 'smith. And so I wear out one of those modified parts....I cannot install a non-modified one, or it is now an illegal firearm. But who says the mod, even when done by a 'smith, is actually as reliably safe as the non-modified example? Who does the testing? Anyone?

It's almost like not having a gun....Hmmmmm

For those who shoot regularly, we already understand the the variables that reduce the odds of a gun discharging 100% of the time.

For those who are afraid of guns, this probably makes pretty good sense on the surface and that is as far as they need to go.

For those who are losing the battle against us having guns, it's the next best thing because it's almost the same thing.

What scares me more is the idea of it. If it sticks around, if we adapt to it even a little by a few, we might all be stuck with it some day.

Before you can install a battery in your watch, the police and the criminals will have a device to disable it before they get within 100 yards of you.

THIS IS USELESS.

Last edited:
Permanent defacement of an s/n would be the same as [un]installing removable parts?

That's an interesting scenario, I'm not sure I agree.
Any legislature that would pass a statute making it mandatory to have one would likely make it illegal to remove it. They do things like that now, like making it illegal to have a magazine with a capacity of more than 7 or 10 rounds.

I understand that implicitly. However I can do several things to a firearm that are illegal but are not similar to defacing an s/n, and this is what I am referring to

Also, I'm curious as to why you feel the need to 'correct' me in your quote. If the firearm is legal by virtue of those 'smart' parts, I would be making it illegal by installing a removeable 'illegal' part, not by uninstalling a legal part

I'm curious as to why you feel the need to 'correct' me in your quote.
No offense intended. I took it that you were talking about first uninstalling the offending technology in favor of installing something else. Perhaps I misunderstood you. In either regard, it would be disabling the technology that would be illegal, however done.

No worries Jim :) It's hard to tell exactly what we mean sometimes online.

this thread has made me want to take my US Property 1918 Model of 1911 out and tell it that everything's going to be OK...

this thread has made me want to take my US Property 1918 Model of 1911 out and tell it that everything's going to be OK...

Best comment yet.

But wait. The more I think about it, it might be that your 1918 Model of 1911 is going to reassure YOU that everything will be OK.

All paranoia aside, I expect more guns to eventually incorporate electronics in their internals. Whether or not WiFi or Bluetooth is the best choice, I'm not sure. I'm skeptical. But, shielded, wired internals? I could see some innovations coming out there. Time will tell, I guess. As it is right now, though, I wouldn't buy this one.

The obvious next electronic step is to put a little ol' camera under the barrel. Thus, it can record your self-defense shooting.

Would this be for the good or bad? Police resisted cameras then found out on the average it supported them against criminals.

Michael Dunn or George Zimmerman (as examples, don't rehash) might have had different trials if we had a record of what happened from time of draw.

Interesting thought.

Back