The secret to more than a pocket gun for summer carry, wear a shirt.

AK103K said:
I carry the gun just below the belt with my SC. Draw your gut in a little, and slip your fingers behind the pants at the buckle, and the gun is right there. No need to "push up", although that would probably work too, as long as the gun didnt get hung up.

Its really no different than drawing IWB, just, the gun is a bit deeper.

How are you pulling that off? Elastic waistband?

The issue I run into is you have to set the pistol a certain depth. If you look at the picture you posted of Smart Carry earlier, you can see the problem. The “belt” is higher than the pocket. If you don’t want to walk around with a black elastic belt poking put of the top of your trousers, then you have to have the belt below the beltline - which means the pistol is lower still.

Since my main use for Smart Carry is to carry with a tucked in shirt in a professional environment, I also am wearing an actual belt. So, I have to reach down past the waistband and belt and get a master grip. So I am pushing out on my waistband with my stronghand to create space while trying to get my thumb in between the pistol and abdomen to get a master grip. Maybe it is a tailoring issue but it is not working well with any of my pants/slacks/jeans/trousers/shorts.

What does work for me is grabbing the exterior of my pants at crotch level and pushing the gun up above the belt by the muzzle with my off hand. The grip slides right past the belt and pops above the beltline. So, the master grip and draw go much more smoothly.

I’d love to be able to do what you describe and just reach down the front of my pants and draw but I’m not having any luck doing that in an expeditious manner. So I’m curious what you are doing different.

Not that someone reaching down their pants wouldnt be a little strange too.

Naw, you just shout “SNAKE!” to create a distraction ;)

Not sure if just a T-shirt will work for me:eek::D

2044912301_1772584123.jpg

I honestly don't care for pocket carry; it just doesn't work well for me. Still, I've found a decent IWB with a smaller compact like my P938, P365, or G43 are easily concealed with a simple tank-top.

ROCK6

Wow Rock 6, I've never seen such a small holster.

Obviously it can't hold much, so I don't think a .22 would fit, much less a 9mm.

NAA-22LLR-HG-unfolded-e1507491883705.jpg

How are you pulling that off? Elastic waistband?

The issue I run into is you have to set the pistol a certain depth. If you look at the picture you posted of Smart Carry earlier, you can see the problem. The “belt” is higher than the pocket. If you don’t want to walk around with a black elastic belt poking put of the top of your trousers, then you have to have the belt below the beltline - which means the pistol is lower still.

Since my main use for Smart Carry is to carry with a tucked in shirt in a professional environment, I also am wearing an actual belt. So, I have to reach down past the waistband and belt and get a master grip. So I am pushing out on my waistband with my stronghand to create space while trying to get my thumb in between the pistol and abdomen to get a master grip. Maybe it is a tailoring issue but it is not working well with any of my pants/slacks/jeans/trousers/shorts.

What does work for me is grabbing the exterior of my pants at crotch level and pushing the gun up above the belt by the muzzle with my off hand. The grip slides right past the belt and pops above the beltline. So, the master grip and draw go much more smoothly.

I’d love to be able to do what you describe and just reach down the front of my pants and draw but I’m not having any luck doing that in an expeditious manner. So I’m curious what you are doing different.

Naw, you just shout “SNAKE!” to create a distraction ;)
I just got home from work. Heres a a couple of pics after 13+ hours of running around in 87 degree temps.....

enhance

enhance

The holster is meant to be below the belt/top of the pants line. Slightly deeper is better than slightly higher.

You tuck your undershirt (if youre wearing one) under the holster in the front, and pull your shirt out of the back, and its is on top of the strap, so if you bend over and things ride up, your shirt is on top of it, and nothing shows.

Two ways to draw.....

1. hook your off-hand thumb inside your pants and pull them forward, and slip your strong hand in. Thats the easiest and surest.

2. Just suck your gut in a little, and slip your strong hand in. Works just as well, but it is a little less positive if your in a hurry. But you can still easily make the draw with one hand if need be.

As with anything and any method you carry, you need put in a little time and effort to figure things out and how it will work best for you. How often have yuo ever got a new holster, and it was perfect from th first time you used it?

And very capable of civilian self defense. My sarcasm obviously wasted.
Hey, if youre comfortable with them, knock yourself out. I used to carry them, I no longer do. I have one left, my Seecamp.

Once I realized I could carry my 26 in the exact same spots as my Seecamp, it was a no brainer.

I can shoot my 26's pretty much the same as my 17's, and at about the same distances. I cant shoot my Seecamp like that,and Ive tried. Its range is also very limited. My 26's will easily make head shots at 25 yards.

If you think only carrying a little gun is good, run some drills at the range with it, starting from how you carry it, and prove it.

Try it in FoF with something similar in size that you can shoot with, and again, start from how you carry it..

Ive shot at a lot of different ranges over the years, and the one thing Ive never seen, is anyone practicing with those type pistols, in any realistic manner.

You really dont see people shooting them all that much anyway, and if you do, its stand still and slowly squeeze them off.

Personally, I dont thing most people who carry them, arent being realistic with themselves and their skills. And most of what you hear is the "rule of three" thing, and that you wont need to be that good.

Do you regularly practice drawing and shooting how you would in just those situations?

Large caliber handguns suck as man stoppers, and yet were are constantly told anymore, that a couple of rounds of 32 or 380, will solve all problems.

If you want an interesting read on exactly this, look at the latest issue of American Handgunner (Sept/Oct 19), Ayoob has an article on three women who used these types of guns, and did prevail, but only by sheer luck. A couple of the assailants were shot multiple times, one died, two didnt, and two of the women still nearly died and were badly injured.

Contrary to what youre often told, a couple of the assailants did not stop the attack in the least, and even were more aggravated by being shot, and aggressively continued it.

And from the sounds of the womens skill levels and experience with guns (basically none), it just reinforces what I said above about seeing people practice with them.

So, you can be as sarcastic as you like, I just hope your being equally as realistic with yourself, in your skills with what you carry, and have enough gun and are prepared to continue the fight, until its done.

Back