The secret to more than a pocket gun for summer carry, wear a shirt.

Its pretty quick. Not as fast as a belt holster, but faster than drawing from a pocket.

Its a deep concealment holster, and not a race rig, so you need to understand that and address it in how you plan on using it.

What it will do is, allow you to have a realistic gun where you couldnt otherwise.

And the only way to know how they work, and how well they work, is to actually use one and see. Most all the negative comments, come from those who never have. ;)
How does it do what an IWB cannot, but much more slowly?

Also how is that better than an appendix carry option, which can be drawn much faster?

For much of my deep concealment my Kahr CM 9 in a DeSantis pocket holster is quite "realistic". For deeper concealment my LCP would be "realistic" in the eyes of an attacker.
However, in most cases even a T shirt conceals my Sig P320 Carry IWB well enough that nobody notices.

How does it do what an IWB cannot, but much more slowly?

Also how is that better than an appendix carry option, which can be drawn much faster?
You can carry something like a Glock 26 in a pair of shorts and no shirt, and in NPE's. The latter being the main use for mine.

And while it may be a bit slower (and its really not all that slow), it also doesnt look like youre going for a gun, so there are offsets to the speed only thing.

Its not better than AIWB, which I normally use, EXCEPT for those times you cant.

You seem to be misunderstanding the purpose of the holster here. Its not a replacement for what I consider primary/preferred carry(AIWB/IWB), but it does let you carry a realistic gun, when you normally wouldnt be able too carry otherwise.

I am trying to figure out when you normally wouldn't be able to otherwise. Maybe thats the item that needs clarity.
Im not allowed to carry at work. Company property and sites are an NPE, as well as many of the places we work.

Winter is no big deal, as I usually have a sweatshirt, and/or a pair of bibs on.

Summer is a tucked-in, and often, untucked tee shirt.

While I do often just wear an untucked tee over my AIWB normally in the summer when not at work, with the type of work I do, it wouldnt work. Im around to many people doing too many physical things all day. The first time I used my shirt to wipe the sweat off my face, or did anything that would cause my shirt to go above my belt, Id be at risk with any holster that puts the gun above the belt.

Using a SC, I could actually take my shirt off if I wanted, but OSHA and company policy (OSHA driven) frowns on that, so thats not happening. But, if I werent working in that atmosphere, I could easily do that, and no one would be the wiser to me being armed.

Another plus to the SC is, it protects the gun from you and the environment, and you from the gun, better than any other concealed type holster Ive ever used, and Ive used most types at some point. I get no dirt, dust, and other assorted crap in the holster or gun, like I do with a belt holster. The backing on it is water/sweat proof, so, if I were to carry a gun that might rust, its not an issue.

What I have found is the Smart Carry allows me to carry a Glock 26 or Glock 19 with a tucked shirt without any visible clips or bulges. I just suck in my gut and slide my hand in and around and remove. If I am able to untuck my shirt I can carry a little higher normally in the belt line.
As for safety. I have inserted an unloaded gun and tried to pull the trigger. I feel very safe.

And people are concerned about back injury from a fall with small of the back carry!:eek:
Id be worried more about that than any kind of fall with a SC. ;)

And look at it this way, it would act like a "cup" of sorts if you just happened to get kneed there. :D

Im not allowed to carry at work. Company property and sites are an NPE, as well as many of the places we work.

Winter is no big deal, as I usually have a sweatshirt, and/or a pair of bibs on.

Summer is a tucked-in, and often, untucked tee shirt.

While I do often just wear an untucked tee over my AIWB normally in the summer when not at work, with the type of work I do, it wouldnt work. Im around to many people doing too many physical things all day. The first time I used my shirt to wipe the sweat off my face, or did anything that would cause my shirt to go above my belt, Id be at risk with any holster that puts the gun above the belt.

Using a SC, I could actually take my shirt off if I wanted, but OSHA and company policy (OSHA driven) frowns on that, so thats not happening. But, if I werent working in that atmosphere, I could easily do that, and no one would be the wiser to me being armed.

Another plus to the SC is, it protects the gun from you and the environment, and you from the gun, better than any other concealed type holster Ive ever used, and Ive used most types at some point. I get no dirt, dust, and other assorted crap in the holster or gun, like I do with a belt holster. The backing on it is water/sweat proof, so, if I were to carry a gun that might rust, its not an issue.
Ok, this is a helpful clarification.

I own a Smart Carry and my experience mirrors JohnKSa’s. Using a timer, Smart Carry may be; but is not always, faster than pocket carry. If you have the right gear set up and start with your hand on the pistol, pocket carry is usually faster.

However, if you position the pistol in SmartCarry so it is just barely below the beltline, and then violate the four rules by sticking your offhand under the muzzle and pushing up (like the world’s most grotesque crotch adjustment) while drawing, then Smart Carry can be very fast.

The issue with that though is you are consciously violating one of the four rules. You can violate any ONE of the four rules safely without serious consequence; but violating TWO frequently results in problems. By consciously disregarding one from the start, you reduce your margin of error. If you start combining that with a lot of training repetitions, you are basically buying tickets in the “Free Body Piercings Done Now!” lottery.

About the only thing I like about Smart Carry is you can carry a 19-ish sized pistol in circumstances where it is otherwise impossible (swim trunks only, tucked in shirt with no jacket, etc.).

Also, be careful sitting down as, uh, parts can get nipped, depending on the tailoring of your clothing.

The pocket carry guys always want to use the "hand on the pistol" time when claiming speed of draw, and no doubt, that would be a tad quicker. But who walks around with their hand in the pockets every minute?

I think a more realistic base, would be a "startle" draw, where you start from an "any given moment" of the day stance.

Either way, if youre paying attention and see it coming, you can still get to the gun fairly quick. With either, I would want to gain some distance if things are close, the last thing you want, is to be caught with your hand in your pocket or down your pants, if someone is within reach.

My buddy was an avid pocket carrier (to the point of having a TPH "Skoal ring" in all his pants) who always claimed how fast it was, until, when we did a little test, as hard as he tried, I repeatedly wouldnt allow him to draw it when I was only a couple of steps away.

I dont know about you, but people with their hands in their pockets are suspicious to me. Especially if they were to be going into them as I approach.

Not that someone reaching down their pants wouldnt be a little strange too. :D

The other thing often skipped over by the pocket carry people is, getting the gun out of your pants while seated. Now I know, with the pants I normally wear, I cant even get my hand "in" my pockets while seated, without a lot of gyrations. Just getting my keys flashlight, etc out, is a PITA.

SC, just lean back a little, suck your gut in a little, and the gun is right there.

I carry the gun just below the belt with my SC. Draw your gut in a little, and slip your fingers behind the pants at the buckle, and the gun is right there. No need to "push up", although that would probably work too, as long as the gun didnt get hung up.

Its really no different than drawing IWB, just, the gun is a bit deeper.

I dont see that any of the four rules is being violated on the draw, or at least not for me anyway. I dont "push up". I slip my fingers in front, and my thumb behind, and draw the gun up.

And as with anything, your clothing choice is going to be a factor. For me, even if I didnt have all the junk in my pockets I normally do (no room for a gun if I wanted), any handgun, even my Seecamp, would still be a challenge to get out quickly.

If you wear something like dress slacks, or something looser fitting, it may be easier.

Hey, the only way to know if something is going to work for you, is to give it a good try and see. We are lucky enough these days, to have so much readily available, it would be pretty hard not to find something that works well. And of course, what works well for one, may not work at all for another.

But you do have to prove that to yourself. From what Ive seen, most who complain about the SC's have never used one and dont understand them.

Bartholomew and John are actually the first two Ive talked to who use or have used them, to not like them. And thats absolutely fine, at least they tried it to know.

The Keltec P 32 and P2AT (and possibly the Ruger LCP) can be carried inside the waistband BELOW the line of sight, simply by using the factory belt clip.

I dont know about you, but people with their hands in their pockets are suspicious to me. Especially if they were to be going into them as I approach.

Not that someone reaching down their pants wouldnt be a little strange too.

A lot more strange than just reaching in your pocket. For keys, cell phone, change, gum, or what ever.
But reaching down the front of your pants as someone approaches might just run them off on it's own!:D:eek:

The Keltec P 32 and P2AT (and possibly the Ruger LCP) can be carried inside the waistband BELOW the line of sight, simply by using the factory belt clip.
But you forget bill, those aren't "realistic" guns in "realistic" calibers.:rolleyes:;)

Polo shirt and shorts, summer attire.

Seated with pistol directly facing camera, good luck seeing it.
298240d1562785569t-post-pic-typical-summer-attire-carrying-what-you-carry-plan-carry-most-pic3.jpg

Surprise, a full size 1911 was concealed.
298242d1562785721t-post-pic-typical-summer-attire-carrying-what-you-carry-plan-carry-most-pic4.jpg

CDW4ME said:
Polo shirt and shorts, summer attire.

Still my favorite way to carry. I’ll also throw in the Hawaiian shirt, guayabera, or short sleeve casual button up shirt just to mix it up every now and then.

Occasionally though, I like to wear a fitted shirt instead of the sack hanging off your shoulders look. And of course, sometimes the untucked shirt look is inappropriate.

I remember being at a CLE and everyone is wearing slacks and jackets. Most are wearing ties. A guy walks in wearing khaki cargo pants and an untucked polo with a flashlight and a pocket knife visibly clipped to the pockets. I kept looking til I spotted the gun.

Still my favorite way to carry. I’ll also throw in the Hawaiian shirt, guayabera, or short sleeve casual button up shirt just to mix it up every now and then.

Occasionally though, I like to wear a fitted shirt instead of the sack hanging off your shoulders look. And of course, sometimes the untucked shirt look is inappropriate.

I remember being at a CLE and everyone is wearing slacks and jackets. Most are wearing ties. A guy walks in wearing khaki cargo pants and an untucked polo with a flashlight and a pocket knife visibly clipped to the pockets. I kept looking til I spotted the gun.

My two most worn are either a polo with stripe or a button up with plaid, as seen here:
298236d1562785444t-post-pic-typical-summer-attire-carrying-what-you-carry-plan-carry-most-pic1.jpg

298238d1562785514t-post-pic-typical-summer-attire-carrying-what-you-carry-plan-carry-most-pic2.jpg

I'm retired, so for me there are no typical places I go where I feel compelled to tuck in my shirt; I'm content in my sloven attire. :)

The pistols pictured were a Ruger 10mm and a Ed Brown 45 acp - in case anyone was curious.
298244d1562785845t-post-pic-typical-summer-attire-carrying-what-you-carry-plan-carry-most-pic5.jpg

Back