The real truth about the new 6.5 Creedmoor v/s the .308

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen a factor of 10 more .260's in LR matches than 6.5 CM's.

The component availability and selection is much better for .260.

More factory ammo is available for .260, and more will be available in the near future.

I'm not sure where Jimro shoots - but out here on the east coast the .260 outnumbers the 6.5 CM by a large margin.

If you plan on competing, get the .260 as well - IMHO.

like the 6.5s, too. I have two 6.5x55s and a Grendel. I am going to get another, and have been vacillating between 260 and Creedmoor, in a Savage Weather Warrior, primarily for hunting. I am totally frustrated about which to choose. I was leaning toward the Creedmoor, but am now leaning the other way, due to some of the comments here and on other forums, i.e., ammo availability, staying-power of the round, etc. Can anyone guide me here? I do not reload, and I've seen more ammo available for the 260 than the CM, but I may also want to get a 6.5 upper for one of my AR-10 platforms, and was leaning toward the CM because of it working better in that platform, and because it has been said that the 260 is too long for the magazines with heavier bullets.

Any help with my decision will be greatly appreciated.
Yesterday 08:18 AM

Uh, guys, did you miss the sentence "I do not reload"?

20rds Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor 26 bucks or less. http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...&categoryId=20296&categoryString=653***690***

20 Rounds Corbon or Black Hills 260 Rem match ammo 37 bucks or more? http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...3&categoryId=9331&categoryString=653***690***

Maybe I should have explained basic economics in my previous response....

Jimro

Jimro,

He answered .260 after you mentioned that .260 was better for hunting, 6.5 for competition, leading me to assume that he prefers hunting.

.260 has more loads available for that (heck, I just stocked up on a Cabelas sale of Remington 140gr Core-Lokts for $20.99)

Also, that .260 Cor-Bon match load is available for around $32 online, and even at my LGS, + it is loaded with Lapua brass, which he can sell after he shoots.

Yes, it will be used mostly for hunting, but I'll be doing paper shooting too, but not long range, because I don't have access to anything beyond 300 yds.

As to the hinged vs detachable magazine, and the 22" barrel. Will that barrel allow the 260 to perform decently?

Thanks. I appreciate your suggestions.

Jimro,

He answered .260 after you mentioned that .260 was better for hunting, 6.5 for competition, leading me to assume that he prefers hunting.

.260 has more loads available for that (heck, I just stocked up on a Cabelas sale of Remington 140gr Core-Lokts for $20.99)

Also, that .260 Cor-Bon match load is available for around $32 online, and even at my LGS, + it is loaded with Lapua brass, which he can sell after he shoots.

I understand, just that there were a number of responses proclaiming the popularity of the 260 Rem as a match round. Heck, I found 6.5 Creedmoor for just under 23 bucks a box on sale, still about 9 bucks a box cheaper than the 260 Rem ammo from Corbon. While Hornady might not have the same reputation as Lapua for quality brass, I've never heard anyone complain.

The 260 Rem started out as a hunting round (hence the plethora of hunting loads) and migrated to a match round. The 6.5 Hornady started out as a match round, and I don't think there are any hunting loads for it yet.

I guess I should have been more specific and listed out the reasoning behind recommending 6.5 for matches for a non-reloader and the 260 Rem for hunting for a non-reloader (although if you have a good rifle and don't mind paying the premium it can shoot matches all day long). But my answer still stays the same based on ammo prices.

Jimro

Again, thanks for helping me decide here.

I have read on several threads/forums that the box mags might be too short for some of the longer, high BC bullets, which was why the Creedmoor came to be in the first place, so I would still like some advice on that, as well as how much performance is lost with a shorter 22" hunting barrel. I'm assuming not so much that I still couldn't shoot longer distances(400-600yds) if I wanted to. Not at game, but targets, if I ever find a place to do that.

Thanks

Either round will shoot well out to a thousand meters, so stretching your legs isn't going to be a problem when you get the chance.

Jimro

Thanks

Thank you for a well thought out educated opinion on 6.5 Creedmoor vs .308 Winchester. Your insight along with my own research has helped me make my decision on re-barreling my Rem 700 sps. My money can now be better spent on other shooting related things.

Why even get a 6.5mm when you can go with a 6mm and still shoot to 1k? I have seen a 15 year old girl clean up at Quantico F-Class with a 243. A lot of guys are looking into cartridges like the 6xc (Tubbs as well). Guys on the US F-Class team and Palma team would love to shoot 6mm br for matches. The 6br, 6dasher, and 6XC shooting Tubbs DTAC 115gr bullets will hang with the 6.5 and 308 rifles out to 1k. Shooting a 115gr 6mm bullet is going to produce less recoil that any 6.5 or 308.

While the 308 is a good 1k performer it is far from the best. I personally know guys who use 22 cal and 20 cal rifles to shoot 1k + on Prairie Dogs.

The 6.5 creedmore was designed for one thing. It does that one thing very well and can do plenty more as well.

Why even get a 6.5mm when you can go with a 6mm and still shoot to 1k? I have seen a 15 year old girl clean up at Quantico F-Class with a 243.

I love these descussions about ancient fire arms (anything developed 30 years or longer ago). The ONLY reason the 6.5 is still in existance is it will fit in an AR frame. I am sorry the last time I looked at the rack of rifles at Cabela's and Gander Mtn. I don't remenber seeing any 6.5s there. Why because they don't sell and are not as popular as the 243 or 270. And if you want to cry in your beer about barrel life, buy a 243 it's barrel life is MUCH shorter than the 6.5. But a Savage 243 can change out the barrel in about 10 min with a go/no-go gauge and that 15 year old girl can do it herself.

As to the 308 (I'll catch hell about this) it is a nice footnote in history and has outlived it's usefulness. I love my 30-06 but don't shoot it any more maybe once a year for about 10 rounds to check my zero. If I am hunting I use my 35 remington or 270 winchester depending on terrain. Like I said we love to reminisce over ancient history and hold on to our favorite calibers. Do they still work, yes! But at a cost. Me, I am holding off till the Wizardelectric 2200 comes out in the year 2200 that shoots a bolt of plasma at just under the speed of light. Till then a 243 at 4,000 fps will have to do.

Have fun finding 6.5 ammo.
Jim

Quote:
Why even get a 6.5mm when you can go with a 6mm and still shoot to 1k? I have seen a 15 year old girl clean up at Quantico F-Class with a 243.
I love these descussions about ancient fire arms (anything developed 30 years or longer ago). The ONLY reason the 6.5 is still in existance is it will fit in an AR frame.
Your statement doesn't make sense. All of the following - 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Rem, .243 Win - will "fit" in an AR-10 action, but not an AR-15.

As for 6.5mm vs. 6mm, generally for similar long-range performance the 6mm has less barrel life. The 6mm BC values do not quite match 6.5mm either.

As to the 308 (I'll catch hell about this) it is a nice footnote in history and has outlived it's usefulness.
If we're talking about reality, .308 will not be a footnote even when it is finally replaced. After all, it has been a service cartridge throughout the world for over 50 years and new weapons systems are still being procured chambered for it.

Keeping this thread alive..............

For a shooter that is looking for Distance, Accuracy and Energy @ POI... From a Bolt Action, 26", 1" Bull Barrel, does the 6.5 Creedmoor have all of these factors?

Last edited:
I have a Savage on order in 6.5 Creedmoor. I probably wont shoot 1000yd competition with it, but it is a cartridge that interests me. Balistically, as has been demonstrated in this thread earlier, the .308 Winchester is not even in the ballpark with the Creedmore. At the moment, my 1000yd rig is a .284 Winchester. At the moment, the cartridge to beat at our 1000Yd. matches is a .270 WSM necked down to 6mm. Its not the typical 6x.270 WSM, but a wildcat cooked up by one of the shooters. It has no taper and an ackley type shoulder that is pushed up ridiculously far, but its the cartridge to beat at the moment.

Interesting footnote from the 2011 Shooter's Bash match held at Rifles Only.

The article was in the August 2012 issue of Guns Magazine. Shooter’s Bash 2011, A Tactical Match at Rifles Only by Jacob Gottfriedson

Out of the top 10 finishers:
3 were shooting the .243 Win (1st, 9th & 10th)
4 were shooting the .260 Rem, (2nd through 5th places)
1 was shooting 6mm Creedmoor (6th)
1 was shooting 300WM (7th)
1 was shooting 7mm WSM (8th)​

I've also heard/read that the .260 is very popular at silhouette matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back