The Percussion Cap shortage?

If the only place you look is in the big box stores or huge internet dealers, yes...there is a shortage because of the numbers of people who go there. I rarely step foot in those places, preferring the small privately owned gun stores / pawn shops and am able to find pretty much anything when I need it. Not much of a problem at all on percussion caps. Buying a couple hundred at a time is really all I need and I've been able to find them without issue.

Similar to .22 LR, because of this "alleged shortage" .... instead of buying a box or two, people are buying thousands at a time. Production rates and wholesale purchasing are set from years of sales statistics. One little spike really doesn't warrant a company to run out and build new factories and buy new equipment....because as dumb as some people think they are...risking several million dollars in capital on a fad is not very sound business reasoning. But...if you really think it is a good idea because "of all the money to be made"......sell everything you have, go to the bank and borrow a few million and go for it.

It's like the "hot toy" phenomenon that happens every Christmas. It's sold out everywhere because everybody wants one and everybody wants one because they are sold out everywhere.
Next year, nobody buys it because nobody wants it and nobody wants it because nobody buys it.

I am new to both C&B shooting and this forum.

I have read about people using the dollar store ring caps as substitute for caps. So I tried them. I tried 6 to clear the nipples. OK, no problems. Then I tried them with cylinders loaded with Pyrodex P. Absolutely nothing. I remove the plastic, fitted #10 caps and everything worked fine.

I have read about people using the dollar store ring caps as substitute for caps. So I tried them. I tried 6 to clear the nipples. OK, no problems. Then I tried them with cylinders loaded with Pyrodex P. Absolutely nothing. I remove the plastic, fitted #10 caps and everything worked fine.

I tried them also a long time ago. No they aren't powerful enough to reliably set off even real black powder.
Also, the plastic most likely isn't strong enough to funnel the explosion through the flash hole in the nipple.
Forster Precision used to make a Tap-O-Cap®. You could turn sheet copper or beer can aluminum into metal caps, you loaded them with dots from paper toy caps. Two or three dots were recommended for reliable ignition.
Unfortunately, this device is no longer made.

Last edited:

First, they won't work with pyrodex (usually). Use real BP. Second, don't clear the nipples on a revolver (waste of caps IMHO), just make sure they're clear. The ring caps are dirty, and also will leave bits in the nipple, so most likely you obstructed the nipples when using it like a cap gun. A nipple pic is all you need to clear them when using ring caps with real BP. Likely, the #10 cap had enough oomph to clear the nipple and light the pyrodex.

Well folks, Black Powder saved this Nation more than once and it may be difficult to find components but we're tough and we'll weather out this storm too!
ZVP

noelf2,

I agree and have been looking for a flintlock rifle and pistol, expensive to say the least. Any advice for getting into flint without breaking the bank? I'm not interested in kit guns, and even the used ones I see for sale are not cheap by any means. I'm a function over form type of guy, looks do not put meat on the table, reliable guns do. I guess from my searches that flintlocks are a small niche, and the price is what it is.

You do not want a cheap, junky, poorly made flintlock. Poorly hardened frizzens and bad lock geometry turn a flintlock into an exercise in frustration.

My sense is that it is a cyclical thing caused by manufacturers setting up periodic runs whose schedule is dictated by trying to meet demand for all products on a cyclical basis. Thus, last year, I couldn't find any caps, regardless of size, for more than three months and then, for a couple of months, there was a flood of them in #10 and #11. Currently, I can't find any #10s but, having grabbed a bunch of them before Christmas, am going to wait it out for a couple of months and see what develops.

It turns out that I can't find Large Rifle Primers or any BP substitutes in Ffffg but the stores are awash in Small Pistol and Shotgun primers & #209 caps. I was forced to buy two cans of Pyrodex Pistol pellets due to a total shortage of Triple7, Pyrodex P and other subs. I believe it to be a phenomenon caused by increased overall demand for ammunition and reloading products/components and limited production capacity with manufacturers running cyclical production rather than simply expanding capacity which would lead to underutilized capacity down the road.

That said, I am rarely uncertain while frequently wrong and these thoughts are worth what the reader paid for them.

:D

FH, sitting on a modest stock of Rem #10s, Pyrodex pellets and selected rifle powders (PS-I'm still working my way through a couple of bricks of Fed LP primers I got in 1981 at $4.79/1000... for my .45 Colts)

I could see this all comming years ago. About 6 years ago I decided to buy enough supplies, powder, caps & balls and patching to last for at least 30 years.
So me, or the wife or daughter didn't have to worry. I'm 71 so I'm set. Wife has
enough to keep her shooting until she's in her mid 80's. Daughter is 16 now so
I'm sure if she keeps it up she has enough until she's in her mid 40's mebby 50.
I'm not a horder, just want to keep shooting. Now if any of you are thinking I
have bunches of powder over the 50 lb. limit your wrong. I have the legal limit
of 50 lbs of black powder. When we use a can I replace it so we always have
the legal limit of 50 lbs. We use 14 grs per shot so a can last for 500 shots. 50 lbs should be good for 25,000 shots. All three of us shoot about a 1000 shots
a year combined. But my shooting has been dropping down the last couple years
So we have enough

I agree and have been looking for a flintlock rifle and pistol, expensive to say the least. Any advice for getting into flint without breaking the bank? I'm not interested in kit guns, and even the used ones I see for sale are not cheap by any means. I'm a function over form type of guy, looks do not put meat on the table, reliable guns do. I guess from my searches that flintlocks are a small niche, and the price is what it is.

You don't have to break the bank. My rifle is plenty reliable and functional, and I got it at a gun show for $125 about 4 years ago. Just a simple traditions deerhunter with black stock. I've only shot it out to 50 yards (my typical deer range) but I'm sure I could get meat out to 100. The fowler I have was custom made, and was expensive. I'm still looking for a pistol at gun shows. Traditions or older CVA would be good enough for me. I can get the lock to spark.

I recently purchased my first BP firearm, a C&B revolver at Cabelas. I bought a few tins of Rem #10 caps and a tin of #11. There were plenty on the shelves. Next day I stopped at Gander looking for smokeless powder (haha good luck) and noticed they had stacks of caps. Bought another tin. So now I have about 400 #10 and 200 #11 caps. More than enough for my personal use for quite awhile.

Fat toward a couple of weeks and I see this post. First reaction? "Panic!!! There's no caps!!! Must go cap hunting now!!!" :)

Once I calmed down and remembered that I have more than I will likely use in a year, I chuckled at myself.

Now realizes that thousands of people across many forums read a post like this. Next thing all of them are out there buying up everything they can find.

Once the panic train gets rolling, its a beast to stop it.

My lgs Has at least 4,000 Remington caps, both #10 and #11. I bought a hundred of the #10 for $5.99. No shortage here.

After reading this thread, I stopped by an LGS this afternoon. :rolleyes:

They had a bunch of CCI #11 caps available - I was told I could buy as many tins as I wanted, so I only bought a half-dozen tins/100 @ $6.50. :D

600 shots, besides what I already have, should last me until I take the Dirt Nap. :cool:

No .22RF, though............... :(

Just left the new Cabelas in Greenville SC. Plenty of #10 Remington caps. But, since I'm on a layover and am flying out tomorrow I can't take them with me on the plane.

dgerwin,
Oh no, I AM going crazy. I have an order in for 5000 and am waiting for my ship to come in. It would be the third case I've gone through in recent years.

Back