The Olympics

While I would prefer the Olympics weren't in China, I've trained with a team member and am glad to see her complete her dream.

There are, though, some need for clarification in the OP:

One team member has lost his visa for being an "activist", and another is in trouble over a nude photograph. If they have their way, we won't have a team there anyway.

1) Joey Cheeks lost his visa a day before he was to depart. He is a winter olympian, so he would only be an attendee in China, not *really* a team member that was being denied the opportunity to compete. Should he have lost his visa? Should he not have? I dunno that the answer to that is simple.

2) Amanda Beard's isn't in any trouble. She was simply not allowed to unveil her PETA campaign poster in front of an Olympic venue (the cube) and it was moved to outside the south gate of Athlete's Village with no interference. Is there any information that can point to the photograph being the problem as indicated in the OP?

And frankly, I would prefer that Amanda had not tried to bring in politics (since it was indirectly anti-China animal policies) to the Olympics. Better that she wins her event, then uses her celebrity.. or simply not had some unveiling ceremony that nobody watched anyways.

While I would prefer the Olympics weren't in China, I've trained with a team member and am glad to see her complete her dream.

But it is in China, and I'm glad that some people here can deal with it. As for you friend, I most certainly don't know her, but I can assume that describing her as "dedicated" would be an understatement.

I almost even get the feeling that there are those out there just waiting for a dissident or over zealous college student get crushed by a tank before being taken down by sniper fire, just to yell out, "See! that's what you get for having the Olympics there!"

It hurts to see that there are some people like the OP who would even entertain the notion of a boycott. Maybe the OP should have a chat with your friend. Good luck to her.

I almost even get the feeling that there are those out there just waiting for a dissident or over zealous college student get crushed by a tank before being taken down by sniper fire, just to yell out, "See! that's what you get for having the Olympics there!"

I think that the recent bombings there do not bode well. The Chinese govt wouldn't be so stupid as to try and recreate Tienanmen Square, but there is a world spotlight that moths/those trying to make a statement will swarm to.

In that context, maybe not allowing Joey Cheeks in the country isn't some knee jerk response but a mere application of a policy attempting to minimize these moths. I doubt we'll ever know what other visas were denied.

Other factors such as suppression of full Internet access and the report on cabs in Beijing having GPS and microphones are scary, but on the same spectrum of policies the DHS has here on wiretapping foreign nationals.

So, interesting thought this leads to:

If the Olympics were held in the United States and taxis were equipped with the same as those in Beijing under the pretext of National Security, would there be an actual outcry or would it be something that hit the news for a day or two then Americans would roll over and forget about?

Can we just buy popcorn and cheer for injuries?

I couldn't give a three-day-old fart about the Olympics, although I blame the networks covering them more than the games themselves. I find both the summer and winter olympics to be an unrelenting video-emetic.

Well said, though I don't know what "video-emetic" means. We don't use big words here.

As a person who would rather be fishing, shooting, reloading, sleeping, working or getting a root canal and tetnis shot, I do believe I will not be watching the "Games". I can't stand to watch much TV anyway, so it won't be too hard to avoid the spectacle of one juiced-up athlete try to best another in whatever event they have dedicated their entire lives training for.

Well said, though I don't know what "video-emetic" means. We don't use big words here.

As a person who would rather be fishing, shooting, reloading, sleeping, working or getting a root canal and tetnis shot, I do believe I will not be watching the "Games". I can't stand to watch much TV anyway, so it won't be too hard to avoid the spectacle of one juiced-up athlete try to best another in whatever event they have dedicated their entire lives training for.

I'm not a big fan of the behind the scenes stuff that dominates the coverage either. Looks like you can get the video of the actual events this year though and skip the trash. Back to pure sport, no politics... THAT, I'll watch, regardless of which country is hosting it.

nm_Olympics_Pollution_080215_mn.jpg

Here China has shut down a couple of hundred factories during the Olympics, and has banned half of the cars in Beijing from being driven. Yet, one can still can hardly see the main Olympic stadium through the thick air pollution:

This whole matter is starting to have some domestic fallout in Beijing too. For residents of the city are starting to wonder why it is so important to have clean air when there are all of these foreign visitors in town.

But that it does not matter otherwise, when just the citizens of the city are breathing the foul air.

China has become an economic superpower by making its environment unlivable.

Money is worthless if you aren't alive to spend it.

I wonder how much coverage will be devoted to the USA Rifle team. Unfortunately, I bet NBC doesn't give them any time since guns are soooooo dangerous.

Blonde

I wonder how much coverage will be devoted to the USA Rifle team. Unfortunately, I bet NBC doesn't give them any time since guns are soooooo dangerous.

Unfortunately, most sports won't get any coverage on NBC. Luckily though, there will be lots more coverage online (plus ability to replay tv broadcasts if you miss it)

I just watched the women 10m air rifle online.. it was pretty boring. If it was sped up 10x it would be more exciting.. or if they wore bulletproof vests with targets and paired up maybe . . .

This thread has nothing to do with firearms.

Although it does fall in the legal and political category, it also must be pertaining to a firearms related issue/topic.

That said, it is simply a hate thread against China.

Moderators should take notice of this.

Here is the sign that China will be posting at all of the shooting event locations at the Olympics:

JingJing1.jpg

That is the Olympic mascot JingJing, who is an earth-friendly female Panda.

There are a total of 5 official mascots for the 2008 Olympics. I have no idea why JingJing was selected to be the mascot for shooting.

Here is a picture of all 5 Mascots:

101321_3.jpg

China's women were already busy competing in the Women's 10 Meter Air Rifle finals Saturday morning. Here is Chinese news media coverage of it:

Img214518794.jpg

The top Chinese shooter, and the defending Olympic Gold Medal Winner, came in 5th. America's best shooter, Jamie Beyerle, came in 4th, with a score of 397 out of 400.

Jamie was rated 9th best in Air Rifle in the world before the Olympics began today. Here is a photo of Jamie:

Beyerle3.jpg

Jamie's specialty is 3 position Rimfire rifle. She is currently rated 6th best in the world at that. So she still has a chance to get a medal later. She already won the Gold medal earlier this year for 3 position Rimfire Rifle in a big upset at the 2008 World Rifle/Pistol Shooting Championship in Milan, Italy. So folks are giving her good odds to medal in Beijing.

Katrina Emmonds of the Czech Republic won the Gold Medal for Air Rifle this morning with a perfect score of 400. Lioubov Galkina of Russia got the Silver, with a tie-breaking score of 399. Snjezana, Pejcic of Croatia got the Silver, also with a score of 399.

Men's Air Pistol and Double Trap Shotgun competition also started today with qualifications.

Men's Double Trap Final and Women's Air Pistol Finals will be held on Sunday.

It will be interesting to see how much, if any, TV coverage NBC gives to these events this weekend.

I've not been able to find anything mentioned so far about shooting on NBC's TV coverage of the Olympics.

Knowing how much NBC itself is in favor of gun control, makes me wonder if there will be anything other than some side notes about it mentioned.

Here is the sign that China will be posting at all of the shooting event locations at the Olympics:

Shoot, I thought it was this one:

Attachments

• chinatraining.jpg
    chinatraining.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 29
Although it does fall in the legal and political category, it also must be pertaining to a firearms related issue/topic.

Both firearms and politics are being discussed in this thread currently.

If you think that the Olympics has ever been a non-political event, well, you are most sadly mistaken.

While in theory it is not supposed to be political, in practice it most certainly is.

According to China Business Review, the Chinese Government spent over $40 BILLION US dollars in infrastructure investment alone to prepare for the Olympics. Total cost to the government is expected to easily exceed $ 50 Billion. This is totally unheard of spending by a host nation.

Do you think that China is spending that kind of money to simply promote sports??? They are clearly using the Olympics to make a political statement to the world.

The previous record cost for hosting the Olympics was the $11 Billion spent on the 2004 Games in Athens. The Chinese are spending well over 4 times that amount of money.

It is estimated that it cost $718 Million dollars for the United States to host the 1984 Summer Olympics.

If the moderators want to move the thread to another section, that is fine. But the Olympics is a most timely subject to discuss right now.

Just watched the U.S. enter into the arena at the parade of countries. What a proud moment. IMO, China has done one of the best jobs I`ve seen on the Olympic openings. Congrats to them.

Shortwave - are you serious? I see nothing in my regular news sources...
There was this, though:
Family member of USA volleyball coach killed in Beijing

Beijing, China (Sports Network) - One family member of a coach for the United States Olympic men's indoor volleyball team was fatally stabbed Saturday, and another seriously injured by a Chinese attacker in downtown Beijing.

The attack took place from the second story of the Drum Tower, a popular tourist site in downtown Beijing. The attacker then committed suicide by throwing himself off the tower.

A spokesman from the Beijing Municipal Government told the Xinhua news agency that the attacker was identified as 47-year-old Tang Yongming from the eastern city of Hangzhou.

The incident occurred on the first full day of competition at the Summer Olympics, which officially opened in Beijing after a stirring ceremony Friday night.

A Chinese tour guide was also attacked and injured in the incident, according to Xinhua.

Yes Blues Man, I posted as soon as I saw it on Ohio`s NBC 4 this morning. Not much info. but they figure it was an isolated incident by some local wacko. News said they would follow up as soon as more details became avail. P.S. I hope I got my story correct cause what you wrote about the two Americans sounds to coincidental. Please inform me and delete this post if I`m wrong. Thanks

To all on TFL. My apologies for my posts on bomb killing American and injuring another. As BluesMan pointed out is was not a bomb it was a wacko with knife. Think I screwed things up cause they were talking about a previous bombing in Beijing killing other people. Thanks BluesMan I will better get my facts straight in the future and will not post till I`m fully awake:o:o

Back