The Olofson Case - Merged Threads

Nope the Department of Justice and the BATF never do wrong... :rolleyes: Just ask the families of Border Patol agents Ramos and Compean. Imprisoned for stopping a protected drug shipment from a politically connected cartel. Then president Bush 41 didn't lie when he referred to the ATF as "jackbooted thugs". Now I can understand those members with FFLs to protect kissing BATF butt. Their jobs and businesses reply on the the good will of agents that could shut them down on a whim. What amazes me are those that will alway find a way to excuse any excess from perjury to murder if it's committed by someone carrying a badge. I just hope you feel the same way when President Obama sends them after your guns. I assume that you'll hand them over with a smile and rat your gun owning neighbors off.

The vast majority of LEOs are good men and women doing a tough job, but that does not mean that they all are and that a bad apple or two should be allowed to ruin a man's life on a whim.

/rant

Nope the Department of Justice and the BATF never do wrong... Just ask the families of Border Patol agents Ramos and Compean.

I must have missed something. But what exactly does the ATF have to do with border patrol agents?

they're talking about the case where 2 border patrol agents were prosecuted and sent to jail by the Feds for shooting at an escaping mexican national drug smuggler that they said fired at them but his gun couldn't be found after the shooting.

they're talking about the case where 2 border patrol agents were prosecuted and sent to jail by the Feds for shooting at an escaping mexican national drug smuggler that they said fired at them but his gun couldn't be found after the shooting.
Oh yes if a local LEO says "he reached for his belt" it's a good shooting but if professional smuggler manages to hide the gun it's a bad shooting?

Got some Court decisions that show that?
How about this case? Where the BATF lab test the rifle and says no it hasn't been illegally modified to be a machine gun, and the DOJ sends it back to them looking for a different answer... hmmmmm. That sounds kosher to you?

Where the BATF lab test the rifle and says no it hasn't been illegally modified to be a machine gun, and the DOJ sends it back to them looking for a different answer... hmmmmm. That sounds kosher to you?

And that has been a finding of a court in what decision or case?

WildimconfusedAlaska TM

Really, so if the prosecution has exclupatory evidence he can just sit on it and not tell anyone? Congratulations, you just destroyed any credibility you had.

Riiiiight, and this story was published when? If the system brooks prosecutorial misconduct in capital murder cases, who's going to give a flip over a stinkin' machine gun definition?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/07/us/07execute.html?em&ex=1210305600&en=edfeef5136148bc9&ei=5087
Executions Resume, as Do Questions of Fairness

By SHAILA DEWAN
Published: May 7, 2008

RALEIGH, N.C. — The release of the third death row inmate in six months in North Carolina last week is raising fresh questions about whether states are supplying capital-murder defendants with adequate counsel, even as an execution on Tuesday night in Georgia ended a seven-month national suspension.

Mr. Jones left death row on Friday after a judge in North Carolina found that he had received an inadequate defense.

In all three cases, North Carolina appeals courts found that evidence that would have favored the defendants was withheld from defense lawyers by prosecutors or investigators. In two of the cases, including that of Levon Jones, who was released on Friday after 14 years on death row, the courts said the defendants’ lawyers had failed to mount an adequate defense. Nationwide, Mr. Jones’s release was the sixth in a year.

John Holdridge, director of the A.C.L.U. Capital Punishment Project, which provided representation for Mr. Jones, said the successful appeals showed that the problem with the death penalty was not the method of execution — the issue ruled on by the Supreme Court last month — but instead “poor people getting lousy lawyers.”

“All these states are gearing up to start executing people again, and nobody seems to be concerned about these systemic problems,” Mr. Holdridge said.

On Tuesday evening, after the Supreme Court declined to stop it, the State of Georgia conducted the first execution since the court ruled last month that a method of lethal injection was not unconstitutional. William E. Lynd, 53, was put to death by injection for the 1988 killing of his girlfriend, Ginger Moore. No prisoners had been executed in the United States since last September, while the court was considering the issue.

During that same period, Georgia’s new public defender system came under attack by politicians and was recently forced to cut more than 40 positions.

That system, established after a series of lawsuits, was patterned after one North Carolina put in place in 2001, which was considered a national model. But not many other states have followed suit, said Robin Maher, director of the American Bar Association’s Death Penalty Representation Project.

“I wish I could say that things have gotten a lot better, but in fact I can say with confidence that things have changed not much at all,” Ms. Maher said. “We are seeing the same kinds of egregiously bad lawyering that we saw 10 or 15 years ago, for a variety of reasons, including inadequate funding.”

Of the 36 states that allow the death penalty, only about 10 have statewide capital-defense systems, one of the practices recommended by the Bar Association.

The three men released in North Carolina were all convicted in the mid-1990s, before a barrage of criticism of the state’s capital punishment system, including an investigation in 2000 by The Charlotte Observer that showed that 16 death row inmates had been represented by lawyers who were later disbarred.

North Carolina made a number of changes that included establishing the statewide defender system and broader discovery rules for defense lawyers. Beginning in 1996, defense lawyers working on appeals in death penalty cases were permitted to view all investigative files pertaining to the case, and in 2004 the same right was extended to the defense in all criminal cases.

Joseph B. Cheshire, the lawyer for one of the three released men, Jonathon Hoffman, credited the discovery rules with bringing to light what he called a pattern of wrongful convictions.

The court-appointed trial lawyers for Mr. Hoffman, convicted of killing a jewelry store owner during a robbery, were not told that the main witness against him had been paid for his cooperation and was given immunity from prosecution and a reduced sentence for bank robbery. Mr. Cheshire said that a copy of the district attorney’s notes was altered to conceal those facts before they were provided to the defense for discovery. Mr. Hoffman was released in December.

Mr. Cheshire is also the chairman of the state’s Indigent Defense Services Commission. Thanks to those two changes, he said, “the likelihood today of someone being convicted who’s innocent is far less than it was five or six years ago.”

The man who prosecuted Mr. Jones, however, does not concede that the defendant was innocent. The prosecutor, G. Dewey Hudson, said that he still believed that Mr. Jones was involved in the murder, but that he could not retry him because crucial witnesses had died and one had recanted.

“It has taken 15 years for the court system to make the determination that Mr. Jones’s original counsel was ineffective,” Mr. Hudson said in a statement released Friday. “As a result of this delay, the State has been severely handcuffed in its obligation to prosecute Mr. Jones for the murder of Leamon Grady.”

Cassy Stubbs, the A.C.L.U. lawyer who represented Mr. Jones, said all of the witnesses from the initial trial were still living.

Wild Alaska,

I understand that you have an FFL and the ATF could easily ruin your life and business by overzealous prosecutorial actions. I don't blame you for not defending Olafsen. I don't understand why you would be jumping on the ATF railroad and assuming that he's guilty until proven innocent, obviously without looking at the documents showing that ATF approved manufacture of Olafsen's rifle in exactly the same configuration it was in when they charged him with the illegal transfer.

It seems that Olafsen's error was in not getting his rifle repaired under the recall notice that he says he never recieved.

Did he know his rifle had been recalled? Only he knows. When his lawyer tried to show that his rifle had been recalled and that thousands of other rifles exactly like the one in question had been legally sold and still exist in collections, those documents weren't allowed into the courtroom because the ATFsaid they contained tax information that is protected by privacy laws.

additionally ATF testing procedures are haphazard and not standardized, which is also clearly demonstrated by the events detailed in those above mentioned documents.

Remember that the standard that Olafsen needs to meet is "reasonable doubt".

He isn't required to prove his innocence, rather, ATF is required to prove his guilt.

Riiiiight, and this story was published when? If the system brooks prosecutorial misconduct in capital murder cases, who's going to give a flip over a stinkin' machine gun definition?

Citing the NY Times for ANYTHING is like citing Jeremiah Wright on Infectious Diseases:rolleyes:

I understand that you have an FFL and the ATF could easily ruin your life and business by overzealous prosecutorial actions. I don't blame you for not defending Olafsen. I don't understand why you would be jumping on the ATF railroad and assuming that he's guilty until proven innocent, obviously without looking at the documents showing that ATF approved manufacture of Olafsen's rifle in exactly the same configuration it was in when they charged him with the illegal transfer.

Am I on earth today? hasn't the fellow already been TRIED AND CONVICTED by a JURY?

So whos waiting for the train...

WildhavethepostrialmotionsbeendecidedyetAlaska TM

PS....for those of you who think critically, let me note that I've had the pleasure AND misfortune of dealing with more Federal Agents and AUSAs, good and bad in the past 25 years than a random sample of 100 of you will ever even think about in your entire lives. So don't you accuse me of pandering, especially from your safe anonymous keyboard. I say my piece and I don't give a hoot if God herself gets a sniffy..if this case comes out like the screeechifiers are alleging, you can rest assured my voice will be heard, not on a net forum, but to those who count with my name and address on it.:mad:

wild alaska said:
hasn't the fellow already been TRIED AND CONVICTED by a JURY?

the critisism of Olofsen started before his trial. Sometimes people can be wrongly convicted, especially if exculpatory evidence is witheld by the prosecution as appears to be the case here.

Updates

Found ths at another forum.

"I did find last evenings broadcast surprising to say the least. Here is a link to part 3 & 4, along with some of the submitted paperwork. Please note that half of the net broadcast is not there, that being the part with the LEAA ripping the ATF on their practices. But the first half is still intact. I would hope everyone who hasn’t already would drop Lou Dobbs a note and thank him for what can only be described as unwavering and steadfast support for gun owners the likes of which I have never seen on a major network. It looks like we now have one singular friend in the mainstream media not afraid to stand up on our rights and take a rock solid stand, not just give it passing lip service. Don’t let that support go unnoticed."

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2008/05/07/ldt.gov.guns.cnn
http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/bestoftv/2008/05/08/ldt.tucker.govt.guns.cnn

Ok. A lot of folks have been asking questions about what the ATF pulled down from their web sight to try to hide it from sight. This is a copy of it.

Open_1.jpg

Open_2.jpg

Open_3.jpg

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
EASTERN DISTRICT OF WISCONSIN
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,
Plaintiff,
v. Case No. 06-CR-320
DAVID R. OLOFSON,
Defendant.

DEFENDANT’S MEMORANDUM IN SUPPORT OF MOTION TO COMPEL
DISCLOSURE OF EVIDENCE
DAVID R. OLOFSON, by counsel, submits this memorandum in support
of his motion for the disclosure of evidence.

I. Background.
Olofson had previously requested disclosure of the SGW letter
from the government on September 25 and December 10, 2007. The government
refused to turn over the SGW letter. Accordingly, Olofson filed a motion to compel
its disclosure, along with other documents not relevant here, on December 28, 2007.
At the final pretrial conference on January 3, 2008, the Court refrained from making
any decision regarding the SGW letter until it heard back from the government as
to whether a SGW letter actually existed.

On January 7, 2008, the morning of Olofson’s trial, the Court inquired
of the government as to the existence of a SGW letter. The government asserted that
a SGW letter exists, but that it did not believe that the SGW letter was discoverable
because, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (BATF), it
contained privileged tax return information and was therefore protected under 26
U.S.C. § 6103. Moreover, the government contended that in any event the SGW
letter was not exculpatory. Based upon the BATF’s representations, which were
made through the government that the SGW letter contained return information, the
Court denied Olofson’s motion to compel its disclosure. Olofson proceeded to trial
and was found guilty of transferring a machine gun by a jury on January 8, 2008.

II. Argument.
Any correspondence from the BATF to SGW/Olympic Arms regarding
the use of M-16 parts in its AR-15 rifles is not privileged return information as that
term is defined in 26 U.S.C. § 6103 and is therefore discoverable. Moreover, the
SGW letter is discoverable because it directly contradicts the government’s theory
during the pendency of this case that because Olofson’s AR-15 contained the
following M-16 parts, it qualified as a machine gun: a M-16 trigger, hammer,
1Olofson has never seen a copy of the SGW letter. The information
regarding its contents comes from the recollection of Bob Schuetzen, owner of
SGW/Olympic Arms. Schuetzen’s original letter from the BATF was destroyed
in a fire a number of years ago.

disconnector and selector. Accordingly, the SGW letter is material to the issue of
guilt or innocence and is discoverable under Brady v. Maryland, 373 U.S. 83 (1963).

A. Return Information.
For the purposes of 26 U.S.C. § 6103, a return is any tax or information
return that is required by, or provided for, or permitted under Title 26, which is filed
with the Secretary by, on behalf of, or with respect to any person. 26 U.S.C. §
6103(b)(1); Ryan v. Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms,715 F.2d 644, 646 (D.C. Cir.
1983). “A ‘tax return’ is a return filed by the person liable for the tax to which the
return information relates.” Ryan, 715 F.2d at 647, FN4. Return information
includes, among other things, a taxpayer’s identity, amount of his income, assets
and liabilities if they are received by, recorded by, prepared by, furnished to or
collected by the Secretary with respect to a return. 26 U.S.C. § 6103(b)(2)(A); Ryan,
715 F.2d at 646. According to Ryan, the proper test to determine whether something
is return information is to look to the formality of the document and the
standardized requirement of its filing. Id. at 647.

Under the standard created by then Judge Scalia of the D.C. Circuit, the
SGW letter is clearly not return information. The document(s) in question1 were
generated by the BATF and address BATF’s concern regarding SGW/Olympic

Arm’s use of M-16 parts in its AR-15 rifles and malfunctions that may be occurring
because of the use of M-16 internal parts; the documents were not filed by the
taxpayer. Nor were the documents generated to protect or regulate revenue streams
or assess liability regarding a particular taxpayer. Instead, the correspondence
issued from the BATF in response to safety concerns about SGW/Olympic Arms
AR-15 rifles. Because the SGW letter is not a return as defined in § 6103, the contents
of the letter are not return information and are not protected from disclosure under
the statute.

B. BATF Memorandum.
Not only does the BATF’s position mistake the controlling law with
regard to the § 6103 privilege, but its own internal policy on the subject contradicts
its position. Olofson has been made aware of an internal BATF memorandum that
discusses the sort of information that the BATF collects that should be considered
return information.

The BATF memorandum at issue is BATF memorandum number 22889,
which is dated August 18, 1980.2 The memorandum discusses whether the
information listed on NFA transfer cards is protected under 26 U.S.C. § 6103 in
response to a request for disclosure pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act
(FOIA). The BATF memorandum opines that the only the name the transferee on
the NFA transfer form is return information because the transferee may be subject
to tax or liabilities based upon the transfer. All other information on the NFA
transfer forms would be discoverable under the FOIA. Because the SGW letter does
not discuss the transfer of firearm or registration of firearm under the NFA, under
BATF policy, the SGW letter does not contain return information for the purposes
of 26 U.S.C. § 6103 and it is discoverable under the statute.
C. Brady v. Maryland, 373 U.S. 83 (1963).
Through the entire pendency of this case, the government has
maintained that it is the presence of internal M-16 parts in Olofson’s AR-15 that
make it a machine gun. See, e.g., Government’s Response to Defendant’s Motion for
Judgment of Acquittal at 3 FN1, Docket No. 80. Upon information and belief, the
SGW letter directly contradicts the government’s assertion regarding the four
internal M-16 parts. As such, that information is material to the issue of guilt and
is discoverable under Brady.
III. Conclusion.
WHEREFORE, David R. Olofson, by counsel, respectfully requests that
the Court grant his motion to compel the disclosure of copy of any and all
correspondence from the BATF to SGW/Olympic Arms or concerning
SGW/Olympic Arms’ use of M-16 parts in the production of its AR-15 type weapons
between 1980 and 1990, particularly the use of M-16 triggers, hammers,
disconnectors and selectors.

Dated at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, May 1, 2008.
Respectfully submitted,
s/ Brian T. Fahl
Brian T. Fahl, Wis. Bar #1043244
Counsel for Defendant
Plaintiff,
v. Case No. 06-CR-320
DAVID R. OLOFSON,
Defendant.

DEFENDANT’S MOTION TO COMPEL DISCLOSURE OF EVIDENCE
DAVID R. OLOFSON, by counsel, submits the instant motion to compel
the disclosure of evidence. Olofson seeks to compel the government to disclose a
copy of any and all correspondence1 from the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and
Firearms (BATF) to SGW/Olympic Arms or concerning SGW/Olympic Arms’ use
of M-16 parts in the production of its AR-15 type weapons between 1980 and 1990,
particularly the use of M-16 triggers, hammers, disconnectors and selectors. The
Court had previously denied Olofoson’s motion for disclosure based upon the ATF’s
representations that the SGW letter contained privileged tax return information.

Olofson now seeks disclosure of the SGW letter because the BATF’s contention that
the SGW letter contains privileged return information is both incorrect in law and
contrary to internal BATF policy. Moreover, the SGW letter is exculpatory because
upon information and belief, it contains evidence that directly contradicts evidence
elicited by the government during trail that was central to its theory of guilt. See
Brady v. Maryland, 373 U.S. 83 (1963). In support of this motion, Olofson submits an
accompanying memorandum of law.

the Court order the defendant to disclose any and all correspondence from the BATF
to SGW/Olympic Arms or concerning SGW/Olympic Arms’ use of M-16 parts in
the production of its AR-15 type weapons between 1980 and 1990, particularly the
use of M-16 triggers, hammers, disconnectors and selectors as soon as practicable.

Respectfully submitted,
s/ Brian T. Fahl
Counsel for Defendant
517 E. Wisconsin Avenue, Room 182
Milwaukee, WI 53202
Plaintiff,
v. Case No. 06-CR-320
DAVID R. OLOFSON,
Defendant.

DEFENDANT’S MOTION FOR A NEW TRIAL
PURSUANT TO FED. R. CRIM. P. 33.

DAVID R. OLOFSON, by counsel, submits the instant motion for a new
trial pursuant to FED. R. CRIM P. 33. The instant motion is dependent upon Olofson’s
motion to compel the disclosure of evidence, Docket No. 81. If the motion to compel
is granted, the new evidence will require that a new trial be granted in the interest
of justice. In support of his motion for a new trial, Olofson alleges the following:

1. The disclosure of the correspondence from the Bureau of Alcohol
Tobacco and Firearms (BATF) to SGW/Olympic Arms constitutes newly discovered
evidence. Because the instant motion is based upon newly discovered evidence and
has been filed within three years of the verdict, it is considered timely. FED. R. CRIM
P. 33(b)(1); United States v. Cavendar, 228 F.3d 792, 802 (7th Cir. 2000).

2. The SGW letter directly contradicts the government’s position at trial
that Olofson’s AR-15 rifle was a machine gun because it had four internal M-16
parts. Contrary to a motion brought under Rule 29, the Court, in a motion under
Rule 33, is allowed to evaluate the weight of the new evidence and make credibility
determinations regarding it. United States v. Eberhart, 388 F.3d 1043, 1050 (7th Cir.
2004). After evaluation, it is clear that the SGW letter undermines the jury’s verdict
in this case and creates a miscarriage of justice. United States v. Reed, 875 F.2d 107,
113 (7th Cir. 1989).

the Court grant his motion for a new trial pursuant to FED. R. CRIM. P. 33.

Respectfully submitted,
s/ Brian T. Fahl
Counsel for Defendant
Federal Defender Services of
Wisconsin, Inc.
517 E. Wisconsin Avenue, Room 182
Milwaukee, WI 53202

Some of the prior motion these relate to.
TMP144.jpg

TMP145.jpg

Nice paperwork.

Hope he prevails.

WildahmemoriesmemoriesAlaska TM

PS...how come the Gov'ts response and the Court ruling s are never posted:D

Interesting evidentiary question raised by the SGW issue...any takers?

It seems quite clear now to most people in possession of even the smallest amount of common sense, (excluding the BATFE) that the man is innocent. Why would the BATFE, fully aware of the misfire issues of this particular firearm, continue to railroad this guy?

Okay, so you screwed up and got a little egg on your face. Save what face you can, cowboy up, and admit your bungling, incompetence, corruption, OR ALL THREE, and let this honest man go. Drop all charges and wipe his record.

People have distrusted the Agency for years. Apparently for good reason. (you know, that pesky little thing about absolute power and all....)

Fire some people, let the guy alone, and take a good hard look at your organization. Actually a committee appointed to dig through your dirt would be in order. Heads should roll, and rightfully so.....

This type of thing should scare the crap out of every citizen in the US. Lies, purposfully withholding evidence, ect. ect. Why would anyone stand to be represented by people who do this type of thing to citizens?

Back