The NRA just filed for bankruptcy!!!

Just learned that the museum is down to one person (it's closed now) and there's no registrar. A museum registrar is a must have person and their responsiblity to keep track of the collection. Every object that moves anywhere whether from a storage room, loan to another museum, to a curator's office for examination, gallery or conservation room or e/r somewhere HAS to be known by the registrar. Little wonder they don't have AAM accreditation anymore.

My favorite curator who was helpful in my research, Doug Wicklund, retired after being furloughed for a year.

At this point, I am forced to conclude that not only is WLP out only to ride the gravy train all the way to the final stop, but also that he is now seeking to punish the membership for having the temerity to object to the way their [that is to say, our] organization is being run.

As much as an organization like the NRA is needed, now more than ever, it is so dirty and corrupt from the leadership of WLP that it may never regain the status it once had.

I am currently not a member and haven't been for a long time. If this ship can right itself I may come back. My membership dues should not be buying fancy suits, homes, and more. They should be paying for lobbyists and media that support 2nd Amendment rights.

HiBC said:
Can the members petition to fire WLP?
In a nutshell -- no.

If you had access to the membership list you could, of course, contact every member and ask them to sign a petition. But ... we don't have access to the membership list. Even if we did, there's no guarantee that the board of directors would even honor a petition.

To know what options are available to the members, you need to obtain and study the by-laws. Remember that the by-laws were revised a few years ago. (2017) Those revisions pretty much made it impossible for the rank-and-file membership to exert any influence or to have any say in the operation of the Association. Jeff Knox warned us to vote against the revisions when they were proposed, but I think most of the members regarded him as nothing more than a conspiracy theorist and ignored his warning. The result is that the by-laws now pretty effectively bar the membership from having any say in how their [our] organization is run.

There's an old saying: "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me." To paraphrase that for this situation (and Jeff Knox, perhaps), 'Just because I'm a conspiracy theorist doesn't mean there isn't a conspiracy." I think LaPierre and his cronies knew exactly what they were doing when they rammed through those by-laws revisions. They had to know that, sooner or later, people were going to wise up to their shenanigans, so they fixed the by-laws to make it virtually impossible for them to face any consequences even if (when) they were caught.

Here's a discussion of the 2017 proposed by-laws changes. The originator on the post was in favor, but read the comments -- just the first comment is very informative.

https://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2017/01/nra_bylaw_chang.php

So, the Board want to change the bylaws to give the board more power over it's membership.

- Item 8 of the bylaw changes moves to amend the section regarding nomination of directors by petition. They want to change the requirement that you get 250 signatures, to a requirement that you get a number of signatures equal to 0.5% of the votes cast in the previous election of directors. The practical effect? If more than 50,000 people voted in the previous election, you now need more signatures than the previously required 250 to get on the ballot. The NRA has over 5,000,000 members; 50,000 is 1% of that. So if more than 1% of the membership of the NRA votes, it just got harder to nominate people by petition.

If this is passed, the Board can assureed the nominating committee, made up of Board members, will have complete control of who can run for the Board from now on. The limp-wristed celebrities, hangers-on, and 2A do-nothings that fill so so soooo many seats on the Board will be safe from the NRA membership attempting to replace them with new directors who will advocate for a full understanding of the RKBA.

Remember, this is the same BoD that defended Joaquin Jackson until his death. What could go wrong if we just let them become a closed club who hand-selects their own successors?

- Item 12, the Board is attempting to completely remove the ability of the membership to change the bylaws by vote at a meeting, and in item 13 to make the process for petitioning for a by-law change to require an impossibly high 5% of the number of voters from the most recent election of directors. Let's say you can get that many voting members to sign a petition to amend the by-laws. Item 14 gives the board the power to unilaterally undo it.

The NRA Board is attempting a coup to seize all power of the organization away from the membership, and leave no foothold from which the membership could ever get it back. We're trying to drain the NRA Board swamp, and they're trying to make it 10 feet deeper.
Those revisions -- ALL of them -- were voted in. Here we are, just four years later, and we see that Jeff Knox was right in warning us to oppose them.

The Gun Collective channel on YouTube had a recent video on the NRA with regard to whether it could be replaced or not. They basically contrived the situation to whether the GOA and FPC gun groups could immediately fill the void if the NRA went belly up. I think more gun groups and time could fill the gap but that wasn't considered in the video. The Gun Collective clearly supports the NRA but goes about it in a sneaky kind of way.

The Gun Collective clearly supports the NRA but goes about it in a sneaky kind of way.

Ive followed that channel for some time and I respectfully disagree. He’s actually been shouted down by NRA representatives at shot show when he criticized them. I think he’s very frustrated with the NRA but realizes there’s no organization poised to replace them. Sure there are lobby groups that could take on the political side of things. But the matches? The gun safety instruction? And all the other services they provide? No one even comes close. And there’s no organization with even close to 5 million members. That’s why this whole situation is so frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive followed that channel for some time and I respectfully disagree. He’s actually been shouted down by NRA representatives at shot show when he criticized them. I think he’s very frustrated with the NRA but realizes there’s no organization poised to replace them. Sure there are lobby groups that could take on the political side of things. But the matches? The gun safety instruction? And all the other services they provide? No one even comes close. And there’s no organization with even close to 5 million members. That’s why this whole situation is so frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate your perspective. It gives me some stuff to think about. Thank you.

I wonder if there would be any benefit ,if we replace the NRA, to follow the model of Federalism.

As in,the Colorado State Shooters Assn,the Wyoming State Shooters Assn, Texas State Shooters Assn acting as the organizations closer to the folks,
And more accountable to the folks.

And Representatives working at the 2A lobbying and National Match organization.

Sort of an Article 1 Constitutional Structure

I suppose first we need a way to exercise the Declaration of Independence from WLP and Co.

I'm sure the Prosecutor in NY is trying to give us a Lemon. End the NRA. Somehow there has to be a way to make lemonade.
The NRA or replacement COULD be the best ever.

We've all seen the disease that afflicts many of the good folks we elect once they get to DC.

Most of the Senate forgets their home state . They are about their careers,and DC politics.

I think the NRA Board and WLP caught the same disease.

I don't want to see the NRA terminated. I want to see LaPierre and his cronies removed from power and the organization given back to the membership.

The NY state laws that the NY AG is using as the basis for pursuing the NRA are intended to protect the public -- i.e. specifically those members of the public who contribute to non-profit organizations -- from mismanagement and graft by those who run the organization. That means the laws are intended to protect those of us who are members of the NRA. It's difficult to comprehend how dismantling and disbanding the organization in any way protects us. What I would like to see would be for the judge in NY to remove WLP and the current board of directors; roll back the 2017 by-laws changes; and order new elections for the board of directors from a slate of candidates nominated by the membership at large.

Is that likely to happen? Probably not, but a boy's gotta have dreams.

Wayne La Pierre has withdrawn the federal lawsuit against the New York attorney general. Says the NRA will continue to pursue the lawsuit against James in NY state court.

"The National Rifle Association has withdrawn its federal lawsuit against New York Attorney General Letitia James, where it alleges she violated the organization's constitutional right and asks for a jury to determine it's been operating lawfully in the state."]

"The NRA dropping its countersuit today in federal court is an implicit admission that their strategy would never prevail," James said in a statement. "The truth is that Wayne LaPierre and his lieutenants used the NRA as a breeding ground for personal gain and a lavish lifestyle. We were victorious against the organization's attempt to declare bankruptcy, and our fight for transparency and accountability will continue because no one is above the law."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/n...eneral-letitia-james/ar-AAKIEWE?ocid=msedgdhp

Did the failed bankurupcy lawsuit break the bank?

thallub said:
Did the failed bankuruptcy lawsuit break the bank?
More likely the statements of the federal judge who dismissed the bankruptcy case (remember, the judge wrote that he found LaPierre's actions "shocking" -- or something like that) convinced Wayne & Company that the lawsuit didn't have a chance. It would not play well before a jury for the State of New York to offer into evidence the statements of the federal judge about LaPierre and his cronies.

It was you who gave us the link to the Texas ruling: https://storage.courtlistener.com/r...b.490758/gov.uscourts.txnb.490758.740.0_1.pdf

From that ruling:

Some of the conduct that gives the Court concern is still ongoing. The NRA appears to have very recently violated its approval procedures for contracts in excess of $100,000. Mr. LaPierre is still making additional financial disclosures. There are also lingering issues of secrecy and a lack of transparency. For example, even after hearing testimony from several witnesses, it is still very unclear why Mr. Spray, an officer everyone seemed to hold in high regard for his talent and integrity, parted ways with the NRA two weeks into this bankruptcy case. What is clear is that Mr. Spray’s departure was precipitated by a call from Mr. LaPierre without involvement of
the board of directors.

What concerns the Court most though is the surreptitious manner in which Mr. LaPierre obtained and exercised authority to file bankruptcy for the NRA. Excluding so many people from the process of deciding to file for bankruptcy, including the vast majority of the board of directors, the chief financial officer, and the general counsel, is nothing less than shocking.

I was thinking earlier how it's really maddening how in order to get people to protect the 2nd Amendment, we essentially have to pay protection money that goes to people who don't give a hoot about protecting the 2A, just care about continuing to get the protection money rolling in. Like, for example, if the protection money dried up, do you think Cocaine Mitch or Massachusetts Mitt would vote down an anti gun law free of charge? Nope, they'd hop onto the Bloomberg money train and start wearing Everytown merch.

There are thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, willing to keep funneling cash into an organization that they wish represented their interests, despite the fact the leadership does not.

Back