The new 28ga. Judge

Speedy Warrior

So it was announced at shot show today that a 28ga. Judge will be available soon. I am posting it here for two reasons,
1. How is this legal and not a sbs?
2. Would it be possible or should I say legal to make a 12ga. pistol without making a sbs?

Please correct me if I am wrong but I understand the laws to state that a pistol cannot have a dia. over .50” and must have a rifled barrel. If the barrel is unrifled then it is classified as a shotgun. Please help as I am very confused. :confused:

if it has a rifled barrel, it is not a SBS, it is a handgun - how it will be allowed to be imported without handgun ammo is another question

Well, 28 gauge equates to a .550" bore, which, assuming the "Judge" is rifled, is going to make it a "destructive device" according to ATF definition.:confused:

Yeah, I can't figure it out either. They're not getting those into the country en masse, though.

It can't be an SBS, as it's likely never had a shoulder stock attached.

I'm thinking there's two main possibilities. It could possibly an AOW, and they are hoping the $5 transfer helps with the sting of NFA silliness, or somehow they swung a sporting purposes exemption.

I'm thinking there's two main possibilities. It could possibly an AOW, and they are hoping the $5 transfer helps with the sting of NFA silliness, or somehow they swung a sporting purposes exemption.

Can't be that imported NFA firearms are Law Enf/Govment Agency only.

I know Taurus imports some of their revolvers with longer barrels to get past the point system and then chops them once they get off the dock.

It might be possible for the 28 gauge to have a more importable configuration, and then be reconfigured stateside.

...which would still make it NFA as an AOW. They'd have to put a 21" barrel on it (mostly liner after the shroud) and then chop nearly all of it off to make it a pistol.

Are we SURE CTD isn't just making things up again?

OR they got an exemption from the ATF. there are rifles with bores over .50 that have been granted exemptions and can be bought and sold just like anything else.

Judge

Found a picture of the 28Ga

28gaTaurusRagingJudge2.jpg

OR they got an exemption from the ATF. there are rifles with bores over .50 that have been granted exemptions and can be bought and sold just like anything else.

Except there's absolutely no precedent for ATF doing so with handguns, as far as I know. Bowen discusses jumping through the ATF hoops to register his 577 Redhawk as a DD.

Smoothbore pistols are AOW's, regardless of bore; rifled pistols with a bore over .5" are DD's

I'm really curious about this.

.410/.45 and 29 gauge

Hey all,

There is something to remember. The .410/.45 is more a coincidence than a design. People have been chambering .410 in .454, etc. before the Taurus Judge. The 28 gauge shotgun, as you mentioned, is bigger than .50 caliber. However, that is solely the nominal diameter of the barrel in a shotgun, and not the actual size of the wad/projectiles coming out of the shell. The diameter of a 28 gauge wad may very well be within the .50 cal limit, and that plastic shell could easily measure .025 inches on the "case wall" for an additional .05 inches in diameter. Chamber diameter is unrestricted, as far as I know.

My thoughts:

IF

...... you are going to waste $400 bucks on this.... thing...... why not waste another $200, and do the paperwork, so it would actually..... you know ..... WORK?!?!?!?!

The rifling that makes it "legal" also makes the shot pattern lousy: shot hits everything but what you actually point the damn thing at!

410/.45 and 29 gauge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all,

There is something to remember. The .410/.45 is more a coincidence than a design. People have been chambering .410 in .454, etc. before the Taurus Judge. The 28 gauge shotgun, as you mentioned, is bigger than .50 caliber. However, that is solely the nominal diameter of the barrel in a shotgun, and not the actual size of the wad/projectiles coming out of the shell. The diameter of a 28 gauge wad may very well be within the .50 cal limit, and that plastic shell could easily measure .025 inches on the "case wall" for an additional .05 inches in diameter. Chamber diameter is unrestricted, as far as I know.

You bring up a very valid point, but, does BATF define a "destructive device" by the diameter of the projectile or the bore diameter?

Jimbob86 wrote:

The rifling that makes it "legal" also makes the shot pattern lousy: shot hits everything but what you actually point the damn thing at!

What defines "rifling" ? * Land and grooves vs. Smooth bore?

What if a bore has straight lands and grooves (no rotation?)

( *I am asking because I do not know the answer as it relates to the NFA/AOW laws )

28 Gauge Judge

Just received notice from Guns America taurus removed the 28 gauge Judge from the booth and will not produce it.

Jeff

Back