The Great TFL Pistol Hog Hunt Challenge!

Me too, but I strongly suspect that Rich has his hands full right now with the aftermath of Wilma. Sounds like his neighborhood got hit pretty hard. Take your time Rich; home & family come first.

OK, the Hunt.

H&H Hunter summed it up pretty well. If you hunt over feeders at known distances, your choice of caliber is pretty wide. We don't hunt that way, though we don't look down our nose at it.

Ours is a stalk hunt. We ride by truck and walk on foot, hoping to jump our quarry. Sometimes, if the wind and sun are perfect, and you spot a rooting herd at distance, you can sneak up close enough to have your way with the prettiest one. This is by far the exception, however. More commonly we get our shots at trotting or flat out running hogs.

Harley proved himself more than capable out to 40 yards with a Glock Model 17 Long Slide in pre-hunt sight in. I daresay, he might get the job done in a known distance, feeder situation. (Here in Florida there are game "ranches" where the hogs will come to the sound of a truck, knowing it's dinner time.....but that's not a hunt, it's a shoot.)

At any rate, Harley and Ashley spent Thursday scouting and hunting. I picked up Johnny Guest in Ft. Worth on Friday and we arrived in time for the evening hunt....no joy.

Come O-Dark-Thirty on Saturday, we woke to Wolgfgang Puck self heating espresso latte and home made Egg McMuffins. Here's Johnny in background and Harley in fore. The one with the orange trimmings is Miko the Moocher, who quickly learned that Johnny is truly a soft touch with the food destined for his own mouth.
hunt_breakfast.jpg

Then for the Safety Lecture:
Rule 1) Do Not Shoot The Dog
Rule 2) Do Not Shoot The Dog
Rule 3) Do Not Shoot at Any "Hogs" with Fluorescent Orange Collars

And out we went to the Ashley Hunt-Mobile, a vintage Army Jeep, converted for engine, suspension, Detroit Lockers and assorted accoutrement sought by juvenile delinquents world wide. Again, Harley on Left; Johnny on right. Ashley behind the wheel and Psycho Doggie in my seat (again). :mad:

Harley would be carrying the Glock 17L in a strong side paddle holster. In the vertical rack before Harley and Johnny are Johnny's 45-70 and 35 Whelen. Just over the roll bar, in horizontal rack would be my OctoBarrelled 1877 Cowboy Breakdown Trainer in 22 LR. In the vertical rack before Miko rests Death From Above, my Blaser .338 Winmag. In the horizontal rack on the windshield is my David Clay Custom Octobarreled 50 Alaskan Lever Gun. In a final horizontal rack between Doggie and Ashley lay the Claro Grade Kimber .22 bolt. There was no room left for Ashley's guns, so he resigned himself to a Hamilton Bowen 44 Mag (Ruger Blackhawk born) and Garret bone crushers in a custom Murray Leather crossdraw. If we were gonna fail, it would not be due to a lack of firepower!
hunt_truck.jpg

As the morning warmed up, Johnny and I traded spots, with me backing Harley up with the .338 Winmag. Early into the hunt, the whole plan came together...almost. Harley had demonstrated his ability to hit VERY well with the Glock. He was designated shooter. He was granted no access to long guns.

So, there you are, having decided to hunt feral hogs with your mouse gun. Great. Well, ummm, just what do you do when a gorgeous, 250 lb Trophy Boar steps out of the brush at 38 yards (lasered after the fact) and begins to trot from left to right across your position? If you say, "I'd let him go", you are either a member of PETA or you've never sighted on a running Trophy Boar with a mouse gun. Harley did what I would have done. He aimed and shot....three times. All four of us agree that the first shot was a hit and it sounded like bone. I believe the second was a hit also, as does Harley.

But the boar kept going; much to your collective surprise? I held off for the last seconds and thought I'd tagged him on the stern with the .338, but he never slowed down and there's no question that one was a miss. Miko bailed and took pursuit while we searched for blood and tracks. We came up empty as did the dog, sporting a look that said, "This isn't the way it happens in training."
hunt_lost_him_dad.jpg

Sooooo. Let's do some debrief.
- Was Harley "wrong" to take the shot? I don't think so.
- Is hunting Feral Hog in stalk conditions, with a defensive caliber handgun, pure folly? I think so.
- Can anyone on this board hit a cross-running hog in the ear or eye with a handgun? I suspect some will claim as much. Harley never attempted to claim such ability.
- Where'd that first 9mm pill come to rest? Sounded like bone to at least two of us. Could it be a perfect shoulder shot which a Boar that size would shrug off? How about a rib hit with gut damage....that probably wouldn't play out too well for the next five days until that hog died kinda horribly. He may be dying still. The jaw bone? I shudder to think of that result.

But forget about the hog for a minute. Ashley and I did some calculations of the number of equivalent Boars we've seen taken off the ranch in the past four years. By our rough calc's, we put the price of taking a trophy like that at right around $10K. No kidding. (I believe H&H Hunter will back me up on this....he hunts the same lease.)

There were no further handgun opportunities after that one and Harley switched over to rifle. He left after the Monday morning hunt and Johnny, Ashley and I made one more foray that evening. Over the course of the weekend we hit and missed much, both inanimate and organic targets.

Miko had his first brush with a Porcupine and attempted to continue hunting with a face full of quills, tail wagging. He whimpered miserably as Ashley held him down and the rest of us pulled more than 50 of the barbed mini-spears from face, eye, nose, gums and roof-o-mouth. The porcupine got away and it's suspected that Doggie has not learned from that lesson. (BTW, Mad Dog informs me that Porc Quills are like skinny balloons, that swell with body heat. He suggests cutting the ends off before yanking.)

Three hogs were taken. One was killed on Sunday (Monday?) Morning by Miko Wattah, I'm almost proud to say. Proud because he took off after a herd and jumped the slowest one. Almost proud because the slowest one was a 12 lb piglet. It was put down with a .22 due to a bad case of broken neck.
hunt_piglet1.jpg

However, to this day, some in the party claim the neck breaking is attributable to Mr. Emerson who then threw the lifeless carcass to Miko to cover his own sick blood lust. Unless clear evidence surfaces, we'll never know for certain.
hunt_piglet2.jpg

Respectfully submitted.
Rich Lucibella

Thanks Rich for offering up your lease and for the challenge. Thanks Harley for accepting the challenge and giving it a try. Thanks to Ashley, Johnny and Miko for participating. Glad everyone made it home safely.

Rich-Sorry to hear about your home, hope everything will be O.K.

Of all the things I would not put in my mouth...a hog has to be at the top of the list.:barf:

Thanks for the post.

In summary: A rifle is a rifle and a pistol is a pistol. Given the opportunity; use the long gun.

But...what about a taser?:) Harley? Rich? Want to give it another go?

Kidding...of course.:)

Aside from porcupine quills (yeah, cut'em off before pulling) and the weather, a good time was had by all.

Matt, if I'm close enough to use a 9mm--i.e., all the way out to five yards or so--I imagine that it'll sound a lot like a mosheen gun, and most any bullet would do. :D But I tend to think in terms of a Ruger Redhawk, really...

Art

Great time, am home 3500 mile's later

Hi All,

I first have to say thank you very much to Rich, Johnny and Ashley. I was feeding my face with one of the great Brownie's that Johnny brought.

The weather was good for the first few days, then we got rained on and woke up to a frozen morning, clear and very cold, as you can tell by the picture, we were dressed warm.

Ashley had advised me to shoot for the area behind the shoulder, (I was leading it and held on the neck/shoulder area on the first shot, moved forward and let fly into the neck area and the third was into ???)...

Miko was really getting broken in quick, had lots of scent to work from and sighted in on that piglet who was a little slow (the herd that it was with must have numbered 20 at least). Some big Sow's and littler Boars and the bunch of piglets were to numerous to count.

My days were confined to the 9mm as Rich has stated. I got a couple of good hits (Rich and I believe due to the sound of bullet hitting bone).
It was a big one and running pretty fast. (I thought it was further away at first) It stopped behind some brush, an open area (saw brown hide) and I got another round into it, I think?, then it took off and Rich let one fly and off we went in pursuit.

Miko took off and we were searching, I saw movement and swung over on it and it was Miko coming back and I yelled it is Miko. I had him in my sights and squeezing the 3 1/2 pound trigger, moved off of him quick.
I had a sick feeling (looked just like the hog, that red collar was a good thing, I am glad we had the early morning talk about not shooting the hog with the red collar).

I think the hog was big enough to absorb those puny rounds (+P+) and live to be found again. Ashley assures me he will get it later, (hope so)...

I am sure under the hunting conditions, the big guns, 45-70 etc. are the way to go, we discussed that a lot and all agree.

I had a great time and was really impressed with the quality and quantity of the pigs and the people who were hosting the hunt and feed.

I took this on a whim, with much reservation, I am glad I did go, I have good memories for the rest of my days...
Was I wrong in taking the shot?? If it was a deer I would not have done it. Are hogs to be given the same courtesy??

When I stopped by the visitor center later on Monday I was talking to the Lady who was there. She explained hogs are ruining the land, I hope you killed some? I said, yes we did.

We had steak and potato's and corn on the cob. Salmon steaks and rice/ beans. Hot coffee and good stories. Great time!!

I believe Ashley is one of the best hunters and guides and shots I have ever met. (that is saying quite a bit) Johnny is a real nice gentleman and has many stories and information long into the night. Great muffins and brownies from his wife.

Rich will do well with the disaster, he is ready for anything, talk about toys and survival gear, I am/was really impressed. The trip should have a second title of 'We got Guns and Gear'...The vehicle Ashley made up is remarkable. We went up an old washed out road, when he approached it I thought he was kidding up we went, AMAZING...

When I arrived on Thursday we met at the Texico station and went to camp.
Ashley had already killed hundreds of wasps that had infiltrated the Trailer and were with us all 5 days. Ashley and his Gerber tool with pliers and my craftsman tool with pliers did the trick (on the wasps and the quills in Miko's
nose and lips and roof of mouth).

Fly swatter had the biggest kill ratio, on the wasps. LOL

More later.

Harley

Harley Q, ("harlequin"; I just got that...)

I have to ask, what influenced your choice in ammo? I would have thought that you would have brought some hot 147g stuff for better penetration, but I am given to understand that it was in fact +P+ Remington 115g ammo, is that correct?

That was a good read

Gentlemen, I must say that after reading about the hunt, I felt like I was actually there. Great story telling and photos. Sorry about the damage to your home, but it seems you were well prepared. I am sorry to hear about the one that got away, but there is always the next trip. Thank you for sharing your expreinces.

The little round mound of sound.

I got one hellofa kick out of the whole thing, beginning to end. It's this kind of thing that puts TFL out in front of the pack. One thing seems sure though, and that is that it was the gun, and not the hunter, that failed to bring home the bacon :D . Damned good shootin', thar, Harley! I do have a serious question though. Did the 9's inability to bring down the hog rattle your confidence in that round any, especially as a defensive round? And no, before the threads start flying, I'm not bashing the 9. I do know of a couple of guys in my business that changed calibers after hitting the bad guy and not achieving a stop. They lost faith in that round, and I'm wondering if that happens while hunting as well.

Of all the things I would not put in my mouth...a hog has to be at the top of the list. :barf:
Just depends on how rare you like your pork! Funny thing is, when eating grilled beef tenderloin, Ashley takes his medium. Different strokes. . . :)

This thread has inspired me. I just stepped in from putting a (sadly storebought) pork tenderloin, suitably dressed with olive oil, fresh garlic, home-grown rosemary and kosher salt and freshground black pepper, over some hickory smoke. I expect to eat properly in a couple of hours. :)

I gotta tell ya Long Path. After reading your post, and then reading Rich's menu for the hunt, it's a wonder you TFL guys don't have Dunlap's Disease. You know, where it's "dun lapped" over your belts. Now I gotta get back to my Wendy's hamburger. :D :D :D

Bullet and confidence

Hi,
I still have plenty of confidence in the 9mm, placement is the key. I am a petite 234.5 lbs, really...No dunlap on me.:eek:
The +p+ is really a law enforcement round. I had numerous bullets to choose from, that day I was loaded up with +p+.
I should have let fly the day Miko got the piglet. Quite a few were of the right size and running across in front of us, but I did not shoot the pistol and had a quick hiccup in the getalong.:confused:
To Cold, to much clothing, rifle was handy and the pistol was tucked away as a back up and I went for the 45-70.:D

Harley

Ashley and I did some calculations of the number of equivalent Boars we've seen taken off the ranch in the past four years. By our rough calc's, we put the price of taking a trophy like that at right around $10K. No kidding. (I believe H&H Hunter will back me up on this....he hunts the same lease.)

Rich,

What I have such a hard time explaining to people is that this ranch is not a "game" farm it is nearly 200,000 acres of wild open country with terrain ranging from high dessert to lush dense swamps. The hogs are free and wild and are not concentrated in any one spot.

Hunting here is hit or miss. I've gone several months in a row with out shooting a single hog. And I've shot 15 or 20 in a day.

To connect on a toothy big old boar is truly a trophy hunt. And it's pretty darn rare. I've killed hundreds of hogs over the years on this place. And I've killed lots of big hogs. But to kill a big hog with good wild euro color and good teeth is very rare.

I've only killed one that fits that description perfectly in all the years I've hunted there.

Ashley and I always try and explain to people why certain rifles or pistols are a poor choice on this place. And usually without fail some "expert" will show up with his .243 or .25-06 or whatever with the explanation that he is only going to make head shots.

The results are always the same. Failure to stop is the technical term I believe.

You simply cannot reliably make a head shot on a running hog and these pipsqueak rounds simply will not produce pork on anything but the perfect shot angle. Perfect shot angle is something we seldom get on this ranch.

I have witnessed a big ole boar take a 180gr 06 round up the tail pipe, we never recovered that hog. Big old boars are tough especially once they get the juices flowing and that is why I like a heavier round that will penetrate. I really and truly consider the 06 or .308 to be a sensible minimum for hunting hogs on our place simply due to the conditions that we hunt in.

Just my humble and jaded opinion.

Greg

H & H and others.

I agree with what you are saying 100%

In a stalking situation and closer shooting I think some of the big hand guns are ok (such as what Ashley carries).

But the way we were hunting the terrain and seeing what I saw and did, I believe the 45-70 is the premiere shooter, levers rule this roost. I took along a Gamemaster in 06 and never even broke it out. I was allowed to borrow a 45-70 and it rode nicely in the rack most of the time.

I was sighting in on a rock we had placed in the road and used numerous different loads. The power to rock and what was done on impact led me to believe (ashley also) that the +p+ was the best bet with the 9mm.

I walked a draw and saw so much sign, walked in the trails an thru the creek and was figuring I would get one of them 'critters' but not to happen.

First day out with Ashley I just about had the perfect shot but in one split second the huge Sow made a fast right turn behind a bush and that was it.

Ashley gave me loads of information I asked him lots and lots of questions. I felt very confident under all the conditions just having talked to him and getting the right scoop.

The size of that boar was a real treat, Rich could have taken the shot but the arrangement was for me to shoot and I did 3 times, then the shot was taken by Rich a milisecond late and that is how it happened. We can second guess ourselves and hindsight is 20/20, but it went down, I had a great time.

I saw more pig on that hunt then most do in a life time of hunting. The caper with Miko was worth the whole trip alone. Miko is going to be one great dog some day, great pup, just 8 months, doing what he did was a joy to participate in.

The quills he took to the face were unbelievable and when we got them out,
Rich cleaned him up with a disinfectant and off he went, never missing a beat on trying to get scent and track. LOL

Reminded me of a German Shorthair I had back in the 60s and early 70s. She was never the same after getting bit by a huge rattler, but then age takes it toll on dogs as well as us humans.

Rich lost a dog in the same area to a snake bite a few weeks before, (I was told). I was glad to see the temperature drop a little considering the amount of brush I crawled thru.:eek: Never saw a snake the whole trip.

When I got back my wife had found a good web site about the Tejon ranch in CA and the amount of hogs taken there each year. I think I will give it ago, soon...:D DIFFERENT GUN OF COURSE for primary, my pistola will be a 44 mag Blackhawk :p

Harley

Rich lost a dog in the same area to a snake bite a few weeks before, (I was told). I was glad to see the temperature drop a little considering the amount of brush I crawled thru. Never saw a snake the whole trip.

Harley,

That was me who lost my dog several weeks before your hunt. he was a serious fire breather of a hog dog and had caught and or recoverd over 35 hogs before his untimley death.

His name was Kubi and will always have a spot in my heart and my fondest memories.

He started just like miko catching the little ones but after a a while he'd pass them up and grab to biggest thing he could find. They learn quick.

A quick memorial to kubi if the kind folks at TFL will allow......

doubledogdoublehog.jpg

8898f261.jpg

Hogsdogsdoubles005.jpg

kubipics1.jpg

Fairwell and asanti sana brave hunter....

H&H I am very hard of hearing, guess I misunderstood.

Hi,
I heard the conversation (LOL yea right)... Ashley told me that I was about as deaf or deafer then Bill Jordan...LOL

Rich can throw in his oar on this one I was having a tough time and we discussed that, but I am very hard of hearing and I was not wearing my Hearing Aids.

I did wear a set of hearing protectors that helped the hearing and the noise. I picked them up on my way through Amarillo when I got my 5 day lic. at the local Wal Mart right off of 40/287 area. I picked it up at 0 dark thirty, and continued on to Paduca to meet Ashley at the Texaco station.

So more then likly I just misunderstood.

I am sorry for your loss, Good luck with your new one. What make and model was your amigo?

I like those doubles what round were they in? That is a nice spear, is that made by Cold Steel?

I saw most of these pictures in Ashley's album...Nice...

Harley

What Kind Of Snakes?

What species of venomous snakes do you have down there?

Vets now have a rattlesnake vaccination for dogs. The dog is given a series of shots. This builds up venom anitbodies and theoritcally the dog is immune from snake venom.

Sorry about your dog.

Very sorry for your loss Greg. Damn, but they can come to mean as much as family! March before last I had to have my 17 yr old German Shepherd put down. I was one miserable SOB to be around for awhile, so I know what you mean. Hopefully, you'll find a good hunter and companion to fill the void soon.

Back