The Great TFL Pistol Hog Hunt Challenge!

Pong is that opposite of ping. Am I getting slammed??? Is that a dis?
Dissed? Slammed? Oh no, no, no! I'd never do anything like th... Weeeell, pong is a sort of offensively strong odor. Nothing to do with ping. :p

Have fun - I know ya will.

Last hog hunt I went on the .41 mag was deemed inadecuate as tested... Course the hogs on the private game ranch were so thick that you had to put one down and immediately guard the corpse or it would be cannibalized by the others. The ones shot with lesser powered guns ran outta sight and got into trouble when they expired. We recovered all our meat, but gut piles lasted ten minutes at most. I was leary walking through the place alone - can't imagine laying still with a buncha potatoes on my chest. :eek:

Going anywhere like that? It WILL be fun. :D

It is confirmed

It is now confirmed in my book. This is the best site I have had the pleasure of joining. It is informative, easily browsed, properly maintained and best of all there are people willing to put up or shut when the time comes. You gents have my highest regard and deepest respect. Many talk the talk, but will not bother to take that first step. I am looking forward to the after action report on this one. Good luck and God Bless all involved.

Just a last minute GOOD LUCK guys! Hope to hear lots of war stories, and tales of Rich's cooking :D . Rich, hope Wilma doesn't screw this up for you.

Capt-
Rumor has it that Ashley and Harley hooked up out there today. Had they gotten into it, I'd have been regaled by cell with details.

I leave at O-Dark-Thirty to pick up Johnny in Ft. Worth and then to the Ranch for the evening hunt. They'll be suffering on this one:
- Nova with Bagels, Cream Cheese and a slice of red onion and tomato for breakfast. Got about a case of them new-fangled, Self-Heat-in-the-Can Wolfgang Puck Espressos for those of us used to coffee in bed.
- Home made escarole with pepperoni sausage and cannellini beans; chicken breast side, for Fri nite.
- Saturday is Salmon steaks (fresh caught and frozen in AK 2 weeks ago by my next door neighbor), with red beans and rice.
- Sunday is New York Strips with Corn-o-Cob, Baked Taters (loaded) and Luci-Family Broccoli Rabe.
- Somewhere around here, there's two dozen, fresh baked by Ms. Nancy, Choco-Chip-and-Nut cookies that never seem to get past Ashley's hands.

Bring me a tender hog backstrap and lunch is covered! Otherwise it's grilled chicky breasts and hard boiled eggs....Lawry's optional.

Life's tough. Make the best of it. :cool:
Rich

i dunno Rich

you sound like a pretty good cook to me. :D

and Ditto on what shortround60 said.

-chris

PS the new fangled coffee thingys are great, IMHO

I wuz westbound on I-10 all day Saturday; IIRC, the forecast was for rain in the Panhandle. And, Sunday, a chilly front hit central Texas, so the Panhandle got it first.

I hope the weather conditions weren't too adverse...

Art

Third hand info:

They went long, and stayed an extra day. My hope is that this was to get everybody a hog, rather than to just score the first hog.

Preliminary reports indicate that a 9MM and boar hogs are a very poor combination.

For those of us who have been hunting hogs in traditional spot and stalk technique, this doesn't come as a surprise.

Just like the numerous other caliber /bullet combinations Ashley and I have seen fail over the years. :rolleyes:

There are many different ways to hunt hogs. Most hunt them over a bait on a stand. You can use any damn thing you want there because you can pick your shots.

Spot and stalk and jump shooting does not offer that luxury. And therefore requires some horse power. Less than perfect angles and all that stuff I always talk about............

In any case I just got a very preliminary report it'll be interseting to see what the actual participants have to say.:)

Several of been watchin' for a report. Thanks for the "preliminary". ' Hope they all get back home safely - with or without meat from Mr. Big Pig.

H&H, while I'd never plan on hunting a hog with a 9mm, there have been three different times when I was hunting in thick cover and had hogs walk past within ten feet of me. They never knew I was there. "Double-double-tap" shots with a 9mm would have been easy-easy-easy. :)

Circumstance. Always circumstance.

Art

H&H, while I'd never plan on hunting a hog with a 9mm, there have been three different times when I was hunting in thick cover and had hogs walk past within ten feet of me. They never knew I was there. "Double-double-tap" shots with a 9mm would have been easy-easy-easy.

Circumstance. Always circumstance.

Art

Art,

No argument here. We've killed several hogs with a .22lr when the circumstances were just perfect.

Using the appropriate equipment merely expands your "circumstance" window dramatically

Greg

OK-
I'm back. We did delay and hunt Monday because the eye of Wilma was busy trashing my home on the ocean in Palm Beach County and I couldn't get back. Came home to 1/2 dozen lost souls who took refuge here and continue to be amazed at how poorly prepared people are. They were without hot water, electricity and cooking.

Withing 30 minutes of arriving home they had:
1) Electricity fed by a 500 gallon propane fed generator that needed only a battery jump.
2) Hot water fed by a propane hot water heater that needed a pilot lit.
3) Stove that required a match to light as the sparker was off due to power loss.

We're now cooking for the entire PD. We have refrigeration, ice, Sat TV, Radio, telephones, lights, hot water and cooking facilities.....and I appear to be among the 1:30 that does. Unbelievable to me, considering this was all factored into the building of the home at less than $10K.

For the more tight-fisted, not a single neighbor has known what a Sun Shower is and no-one seems to own a camping stove!

House damage is significant, though not catastrophic. Papers came by to photograph a catamaran in my swimming pool.....how it made it over a 5' block wall remains a mystery.

Hunt report to follow.
Rich

Rich, welcome to the world of the Amazed Observer. You watch the Lost, Strayed and Bewildered as long as I have, and you wind up with neck problems from shaking your head...

H&H, while I'd never plan on hunting a hog with a 9mm, there have been three different times when I was hunting in thick cover and had hogs walk past within ten feet of me. They never knew I was there. "Double-double-tap" shots with a 9mm would have been easy-easy-easy.
But Art, if you were going to go hunting with a 9mm with hog as a possible target, what would be your most preferred load?
What would be your least preferred 9mm load? Play along with me, here. This might be pertinent...

Ooh, I hate spoilers! I'll shut up now...

Back