The first handgun you purchased and why?

Not the first one I owned but the first one I bought with my own money was an 1858 Remington clone when I was 12. I got my mom to take me to the gun shop in the next town to get a new .22 SA to replace the one I wore out and saw it in the display case and fell in love with it. IIRC I got it, a pound of powder, a bullet mold and a tin of caps for the grand total of 60 bucks OTD. That was in 1969. Still have it.

My first was a Smith & Wesson Model 19 (probably a -4), 4" barrel, target stocks, in .357 of course.

Why? I had been reading everything I could get my hands on (Especially Skeeter Skelton) about handguns for years, and had come to the conclusion that a 4", medium frame, .357 was the "best all around" gun a person could have.

I still think so.

A Python would have been my first pick, but even then when you could buy them new in the box in any gun store, they cost about twice what a Smith & Wesson did. And I didn't feel like I "settling" for anything, I just liked the look of the Python.

Do I still have it? No, but I've probably owned a half dozen just like it over the years. I got bit by the IPSC bug a few years later and traded that Model 19 off for a Colt Government Model 1911.

When I was young, foolish, and broke (is it redundant to put those three together?) I bought an Armenius .22 revolver. It was amazingly accurate, but the alignment between the cylinder and the forcing cone was so poor and the metal so soft that the forcing cone started to look like the feed ramp of a semi. Had some fun with it, wore it out, and have spent my firearm money more wisely since then.

1960 I was 14 I wanted one of those Colt 22 short derringers . came as a set or single . I saved my paper route money and when Had enough my mother drove me to gun shop and I bought one. Bad mistake been chasing guns ever since. :D

My first handgun was a Ruger SR9c. I figured it would be a good carry gun with 10 rd mags, but could double as a nightstand gun with 17 round mag. The price was also good, especially for the quality.

In hindsight, I didn't know I'd be buying more guns and didn't need to just settle for one.

My first handgun I purchased at around age 25 was a High Standard .22LR Sport King with 6" barrel. I'm 67 now and the pistol still looks brand new. Has Walnut hand grips I added with right-hand thumb rest. Still a charm to shoot for removing the bull's eye!

My first gun was a 38 snub nose revolver I bought in Vietnam. Even though I was a commissioned officer I was only issued an M16 and felt I needed something I could carry on my person at all times. I sold it when I left there.

But that is so long ago it shouldn't really count. So, last week I purchased my first handgun since then which is the 9mm M&P Shield due to all of the positive reviews, its proven reliability, suitability for concealed carry and on the recommendation of my niece and nephew. I also like the price compared to many of the alternatives.

What and why? A .38 stainless 3" Ruger SP101, in about 1990 because a coworker was being stalked by a violent schizophrenic ex-husband who showed up at the office looking for her. She had to disappear (leave the area, take another job) to get away from him.
Why this gun? I knew I needed a reasonably compact handgun but not what type, so I consulted the most knowledgeable gentleman I knew at the time. (This was before online forums.) It was a very good recommendation. Still have it; it is my wife's and daughter's favorite gun.

Last edited:
Ruger Security 6 357 Magnum, near mint condition. It may not have been my first choice, but it seemed a bargain for $150, which is why I decided to buy it, from a friend of a friend. And I always liked the 357 round. I still have it, even though I don't really do revolvers any more. It a nice solid gun and it doesn't owe me anything.

David

It was either a Ruger Single Six or an S&W .38 Terrier . Can't remember which was first . The Ruger because of Gene and Roy and the snubnose because of Joe Friday , although I think Friday had a Colt . I later traded the Terrier on a Chief's Special , when I learned the difference between .38 Spl and .38 S&W . Of course now the Terrier would be worth more money. First of several bad gun deals over the years . :(

Browning Hi Power MkIII 9mm. Why? The reputation of the HP and the fact that I had finally saved enough at my after school job for it. Dad signed the paper work. Still have it today (it's a lifer!).

Still my favorite overall recreation/open carry 9mm. Only limitation is being SAO, which is not my preference for carry, although it's certainly slim enough.

My first hand gun was a Gen 2 G21 while I was in college finishing up my associates degree. I also took a college course called "The history, maintenance and use of firearms". First time the class was offered and we got to shoot several different firearms. I ended up selling the G21 when I needed money for books for my last semester for a Bachelors of Science on Accounting.

Still kick myself for selling the gun but my degrees have done more for me than the G21.

Since then I acquired a Sig Sauer P220and G30 Gen 3 in 45ACP but still would like to possibly a G21 again. However, if like to acquire a Sig Sauer P226 MK25 with a threaded barrel first.

Browning High Power purchased in 1967 while I was in the Army. That big magazine capacity was a selling point for me.

Had to wait a long while....

Shortly after my dad taught me to shoot, he asked me if I wanted a gun and what I thought I might want. Not sure where I got the picture, but I handed him a picture of a Beretta 92fs. Time went by and he said nothing about it. Then in 92, just before college, he took me to the range and rented one for me to shoot. I was actually pretty good with it for a new shooter. Part of me thought maybe he was thinking about it for graduation... Then the range master told him about the Taurus 92. Well Dad went on a tangent about them being the same gun but the Taurus was cheaper. Then he went on an on about my boyfriend's Glock. Did I want a glock. Really he wanted the glock. I said actually I still prefer the Beretta... Then he took me shooting in college and we rented a few different guns. Again a Beretta was rented. Again I shot it better then the others. He asked again about a Taurus versus a Beretta. Nope still preferred the Beretta. Guess that was not the right answer... LOL! So that discussion was tabled for 20 years... never got a gun

In 2012, I finally bought my own first gun... a Beretta 90-Two in .40 caliber.

Back