The first handgun you purchased and why?

ROCK6

So, as the title states what was the first handgun you purchased? I posed this to my 17 year old son for when he’s old enough to buy his first handgun even though he has already been gifted a few from me for his eventual ownership. What advice would you give a new buyer of their first handgun? Why did you choose your first handgun and do you still have it?

I was finishing up college and rolled my National Guard time into an active duty commission from ROTC way back in 1993. I really fell in love with Sig in the ‘80s and always lusted after one and when the Army adopted the Sig P228/M11 in the late ‘80s, I was pretty set on making that my first pistol. So, after graduation and getting my first paycheck, the Sig P228 was my very first handgun, which I still own:

After talking with my son, what advice would you give a new buyer of their first handgun? Why did you choose your first handgun and do you still have it?

ROCK6

My first handgun was a Walther P22. I had expressed interest in shooting to a friend of mine, and for reasons I can't recall, he steered me toward the P22. It was fun to shoot, but picky about ammo and quite a chore to get back together after cleaning - screws and springs launching everywhere. That didn't stop me from buying the "matching" Walther G22 as my first rifle.

I eventually traded the P22 toward my first carry gun, a Beretta PX4 9mm subcompact.

My first purchase was a Sig Pro 2340 in 357 Sig. I wanted something DA/SA and found the gun at what I thought was a decent price.

My first handgun was an HK USP 40. I was a novice and I bought it before I considered a relation between frame size and my tiny hand size. I wanted a combat-grade handgun. I never took it to combat. It was way too big for me so I traded it for a Beretta 92, which was traded for a double stack 1911, which was traded for a 229...

After coming to terms with my girly hands I finally found a Springfield XDm in 9mm as my full-size handgun.

My advice to novice gun-seekers: Make sure it fits. Try it on like clothing. Like when my wife tries on a dress and asks," How does my butt look in this?"; ask another's opinion. I wish I would have inquired about hand size from the owner, or another customer, or a range operator, or a forum such as this. I could have saved a lot of trade-in money.

Also, there is no reason to exclusively seek out high-end products manufactured by HK, SIG or some 1911s, like I did. Intended purpose and frequency of use should be a consideration. SIG advertises "To Hell and Back Reliability", or something like that. That may be true, but will the new handgun actually go to hell and back or is occasional to range and back reliability sufficient?

Rock, a knowledgeable and responsible father is the best resource.

Taurus Model 66, late 80s sometime.

Why did you choose your first handgun and do you still have it?

Why? Basic 6 shot .357 revolver, seemed like a good idea at the time.

I do not still have it.

After talking with my son, what advice would you give a new buyer of their first handgun?

Don't obsess about getting something that's "just right". That's something you'll chase endlessly. Go for "good enough".

Seek something that fits your budget, fits you and is fit for the purpose. Manufacturer support, parts support and warranty are important.

Don't be afraid to go against conventional wisdom, once you have some experience. Conventional wisdom is fickle.

Don't be afraid to sell off and get something else, if you decide you've made an error.

Don't buy aftermarket doo-dads for you gun, based on what somebody on a gunforum said. Don't buy aftermarket doo-dads for you gun to fix some perceived shortcoming, without having shot the gun a bunch (multiple hundreds of rounds) first.

Last edited:
My first handgun purchase, in 1968, was a Colt Woodsman Match Target. I lived near Coral Hills, Maryland, just outside Washington D.C. Even back then Maryland had a week long waiting period. The day I was to pick up the Colt was the day after M.L. King was shot. All gun stores near D.C. were closed and guarded. Took me an extra week to retrieve her. Beautiful pistol, well worth the $75 I paid.

A Dan Wesson 44V6 it was the time of Dirty Harry. Too much pistol for me at the time. It was stolen and replaced some 30+ years later. A much better fit for my abilities now. I don't sell or trade too may of my guns only 3 in 40+ years of shooting. I still wish it was the original but I'm glad to have this one now.

I have helped many to there first pistol. For most of them a 22 of good quality is the place to start. Cheap to buy and cheap to feed. Low recoil will help prevent bad habits for getting started. Always allowed at ranges both indoor and out. Normally full size or a slightly larger model. "mini" pistols for a first one is not recommended. Used is better than new for the first one. Save some money for professional firearms training. In many cases the firearms training can expose the new shooter to a verity of guns to shoot. Some instructors will go with the new shooter to the LGS or at least give good guidance to the new shooter. They can also help steer the new shooter to a good LGS and save them some money.

Mine was a Ruger Mark I ,22. I think it was 1969. I used it for target practice and some competition. Still have the pistol and with over 30,000 rounds through it, it still shoots great and is very accurate. It has had a new spring set and a Volquartsen trigger update.

Mine was a Star Model P .45acp 1911 copy. I was 14 and it was bought with snow shoveling/odd job money. Paid $75 for it (NIB), half of what the Colts were going for. I sold it years ago, and wish I had it back. It was a great gun.

Walther P22.
I never had any problems wit it while I owned it. With minimags and a mag dump it had sufficient power for defense(to get started at least).

A Glock 26 and Ruger MK II replaced it. Both better at individual jobs, but neither covering all the bases by them-self.

My first handgun was actually given to me by a friend I had helped out. It was/is a Springfield Armory "GI" model 1911A1 .45 ACP his son had picked up at a PX when deployed in Iraq. Yes, I still have it.

The first handgun I purchased was/is a Beretta 92FS "Police Special" with Trijicon night sights. I have made some modifications to it and still have it as well. Why did I choose it? Well, I had had the opportunity to handle the 92FS and it fit my hand well. I wanted a full-size pistol I could shoot as a range gun and wanted a 9mm since it is more economical to shoot than .45 ACP. The history behind the M9/92 appealed to me, and the pistol has classic looks.

As for selecting a first handgun, I would say fit (including trigger reach) is critical. At a minimum I would choose something that he has at least handled and dry-fired. Obviously, the best situation would be to pick something he has actually had the opportunity to shoot.

I also happen to have a "Walther" (read Umarex) P22 as well. It is fun to shoot but mine has been considerably less than reliable.

I was 16 and saved all summer until I had the money. Then, went with my dad to the gun store and got me a S&W 629 .44 magnum, 6" barrel. Obviously he had to do the buying. I had a lot of fun with that revolver, and it's how I started reloading. Sadly, I sold it for money to buy a ring for a girl. Dumbest thing I ever did, as I was eventually left with no revolver, girl, or ring! I eventually replaced it with a 4" 629 which is one of my most favorite hand guns these days.

Ruger new model Blackhawk in ss 6.5 barrel chambered in 357 mag with rose wood grips.
Beautiful gun. Still have it. Huntin and defense.
Squirrel to ground hog to deer and coyote. Last 5 years since I started reloading.... enjoyed it like a new gun all over again.

An H&R 929 .22 revolver, probably before I was actually old enough to buy it. I can't begin to imagine how many thousands of rounds I ran through that revolver over the last 35 or 40 years. I still have it, a bit worse for wear and not so accurate anymore but I would never get rid of it.

A new Colt 1911 in 1970.
Why, because Uncle Sam stuck a 1911 in my hand in 1968, it saved my bacon several times.
I shot the 1911 so well I fell in love with it, I still love and carry that pistol design to date.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

My first handgun was a H&R 999 Sportsman which I shot a lot for years until I got sick of the power burns on my hands, and face at times. It had timing issues which I knew nothing about back then. Replaced it with a 4" Colt Diamondback in 22LR. Fine revolver.

If money is an issue, I would suggest a Ruger Mark III or 45/22 with the 5-5.5" heavy barrel and learn to shoot it well.

The first handgun I bought with my own month was a NIB Beretta 92FS, 2013 manufacture, because I think it's one of the best 9mm pistol designs of all time. I have loved having it.

Back