The First Crack in the Iceberg Of Global Warming...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Concensus?

http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion...=8926a1d3-f43f-4f8b-811d-0a0daa3e1012&k=39580

They drift along in the worlds' oceans at a depth of 2,000 metres -- more than a mile deep -- constantly monitoring the temperature, salinity, pressure and velocity of the upper oceans.

Then, about once every 10 days, a bladder on the outside of these buoys inflates and raises them slowly to the surface gathering data about each strata of seawater they pass through. After an upward journey of nearly six hours, the Argo monitors bob on the waves while an onboard transmitter sends their information to a satellite that in turn retransmits it to several land-based research computers where it may be accessed by anyone who wishes to see it.

These 3,000 yellow sentinels --about the size and shape of a large fence post -- free-float the world's oceans, season in and season out, surfacing between 30 and 40 times a year, disgorging their findings, then submerging again for another fact-finding voyage.

It's fascinating to watch their progress online. (The URLs are too complex to reproduce here, but Google "Argo Buoy Movement" or "Argo Float Animation," and you will be directed to the links.)

When they were first deployed in 2003, the Argos were hailed for their ability to collect information on ocean conditions more precisely, at more places and greater depths and in more conditions than ever before. No longer would scientists have to rely on measurements mostly at the surface from older scientific buoys or inconsistent shipboard monitors.

So why are some scientists now beginning to question the buoys' findings? Because in five years, the little blighters have failed to detect any global warming. They are not reinforcing the scientific orthodoxy of the day, namely that man is causing the planet to warm dangerously. They are not proving the predetermined conclusions of their human masters. Therefore they, and not their masters' hypotheses, must be wrong.

In fact, "there has been a very slight cooling," according to a U.S. National Public Radio (NPR) interview with Josh Willis at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, a scientist who keeps close watch on the Argo findings.

Dr. Willis insisted the temperature drop was "not anything really significant." And I trust he's right. But can anyone imagine NASA or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) or the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change -- the UN's climate experts -- shrugging off even a "very slight" warming.

I like the asteroid gig as a better doomsday scenario.

Wheres Al Gore? Hey Al...did you know that the earth is surrounded by outer space rocks? And only world government can save us :)

WildplantingtheseedAlaska TM

Wheres Al Gore? Hey Al...did you know that the earth is surrounded by outer space rocks? And only world government can save us

Nahhhh, ya gotta call Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck.

Curiosity yields evolution...satiety yields extinction.

Tuzo said:
Quote:
The study of light absolute has changed our conceptions and perceptions of wave and particle behavior because light behaves as both - a stunning revelation at the time of discovery. Light can be and has been: accelerated through certain solids and slowed down to a relativistic crawl and bent by gravity. When we gauge absolute we engage in binary thinking exemplified by + and -, true or false, right or wrong, is or is not, 0 or 1. Absolutes exist, 1+1 = 2 always. Fuzzy logic (0.85 true and 0.15 false) is an offshoot of absolute thinking used where absolute do not apply such as with the behavior of light. Currently the "jury is out" in the sense that the nature of light is under investigation and new findings will certainly follow. No physicist will admit to an absolute when practicing radiometric age dating. You can apply fuzzy logic to radiometric age dating stating that a certain age has a +/- factor depending on the isotopes and daughter products measured. What is absolute is the fact that radioactive isotopes do indeed decay at known specific rates.
grymster2007 said:
Quote:
I intend to study this in depth..... off to Krispy Kreme.
WildAlaska said:
Only on a Gun Board

WildfreudianpickleAlaska ™

What the hell is this? Talking big science is one thing, but I'm doing the walk man!:D

w00t it all fit into one post, I should consolidate more often :D

Every month we hear new theories that coffee is good/bad for you, butter is good/bad for you, running is good/bad for you, red wine is good/bad for you. A million different examples. All proven by lucrative research grants.
"Every month" is a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think? I think if you take a look at the actual data that's been presented regarding such issues and the length of time in between findings you'll notice that people aren't just making this stuff up as they go along. There's a process in research and that process takes time.
The truth is that scientists have long devalued their public perception by selling their souls. The tobacco companies still have scientists that say smoking is neither bad for your health nor addictive. The concensus changed but it took forty years or so, and there's still some hold-outs
What consensus? When was there ever a consensus that it wasn't bad for you? When was such a thing ever published by anyone that wasn't connected to the tobacco companies themselves?
In the 50's scientists said that modern nuclear designs were safe. After Chernobyl scientists said "What can you expect? 50's nuclear designs were crap!"
Uh, who?

In a criminal trial you will have two scientists look at the same evidence and come to totally opposing conclusions.
You may get two conflicting conclusions but rarely will you get two totally opposing conclusions and if you do there are ways to verify information. Evidence can be reexamined by independent sources, more forensic experts can be brought in. But either way science itself does not lie. We are susceptible to making mistakes, errors in judgment and even corruption but that's why there exists a method that allows all forms of scientific progress to be checked by others.

The scientific method works. It's the reason you have that computer sitting in front of you. It's the reason your car works. It's the reason a heart bypass may one day save your life. It works.

The great thing about science is that anyone can do it. Anyone here who is truly interested in knowing for sure whether or not global warming is real and how much of an impact humans have on it can find out. Anyone here can devote their time and brain power to learning the methods, to studying the science behind it. It may take a while and it may be hard but it's available to anyone with the intelligence to pursue it. Science is an open door to anyone that wishes to take on the challenge as long as they're willing to take on the responsibility that comes with it.
The reality is that totally untrained "civilians" have to try to use their uneducated minds to try to come to some sort of conclusion as to who is right or wrong.
Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs. It's why more of the populations needs to be encouraged to learn the basics of science. It should be as important as reading, writing, history and math. Unfortunately this country often seems to have a fear of the scientific method because it contradicts some things very near and dear to them.
I don't know. I can't prove my position is right and yours is wrong. But you have your scientists and I will have mine. Who am I supposed to believe?
When you have hundreds of scientists saying one thing and dozens saying another, chances are the hundreds will be right. They may not be, of course, but it's unlikely.

And, with that, scientists can use just about any "evidence" they want to support their version of GW.
Huh? Conclusions don't alter evidence. It's the other way around.
No, I think the point is that "scientists" claimed no harm to you by smoking cigarettes, IIRC...
And again, a small minority spouted what they were paid to say and when their work was reviewed by others that were not on the Phillip-Morris payroll the truth was revealed. The scientific method worked.
Maybe not. But, I don't think Coleman got to be the founder by flipping burgers at Wendy's. He obviously had to have a background in climate and weather in order to found TWC. No one is making a claim that he's an authority on climatology. But, I think contrary to your belief, he should have an ear when he speaks.
Climate and weather are linked but not exactly the same thing. He has a background in it but again, the very organization that says he's a legitimate meteorologist disagrees with him. He shouldn't get any more of an ear than any other meteorologist and the leading organization of meteorologists says he's wrong.
How about numbers of your own, Redworm? All you say is "vast majority".

OntheFly provided an article with 22,000 scientists in your opposition. Quite the small number, yes? I think they may have evidence that just because our temp rise rate is similar to pollution doesn't necessarily it's the cause...
Read up on the Oregon Petition and you'll see that it's largely a crock of bull. It was dishonestly passed off as a genuine article from a credible scientific academy. People were deceived. Some of the signatures are unverifiable and some of them completely disagree with it.
Also, if several people including DNSpy has claimed that there hasn't been a rise in water level where he is, then where IS the rise?
The uncontrolled and unverifiable observations of a single individual in a localized area should not trump the research conducted by numerous people devoted to studying this very thing.

The only CORROLATING information I have seen is between solar activity and global temperature changes. Those two vary directly. Co2 does not.
Where else have you looked? Have you read the IPCC report?
These charts are from NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration). I would hope they could be held as scientific and expert in their field.

The charts illistrate over 100 years of corrolating data.

Between the choice of believing scientist that use the words 'direct evidence that correlates" and those that use words like "very likely based on apparent" I will go with the guys presenting hard evidence over presumptive hypothesis. The difference is one group has facts and has come to a conclusion based on them and the other group has a conclusion and is looking for facts to support it.
http://www.research.noaa.gov/spotlite/archive/spot_sunclimate.html

[3/26/01]

Before the 4th assessment and before the most recent data on radiative forcing was available.

Hawaii Just had a eruption. Big time. Put on your woolies! People in the north hemisphere are going to get less sunburns. People in the southern Hem are going to freeze there goon's off!:eek:

"Every month" is a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think? I think if you take a look at the actual data that's been presented regarding such issues and the length of time in between findings you'll notice that people aren't just making this stuff up as they go along. There's a process in research and that process takes time.

But, that's the problem. It may not be "every month". But even within a few years, scientists claim the exact opposite from their very own statements.

The genesis of this whole matter is that scientists CONTRADICT THEMSELVES ON A CONSTANT BASIS.

And, you're right. There IS a process in research and it takes time. But scientists aren't following that logic. They and people like you jump out and claim it's a Scientific FACT. Which, it isn't.

When you have hundreds of scientists saying one thing and dozens saying another, chances are the hundreds will be right. They may not be, of course, but it's unlikely.

Upon having the possibility of contradiction, scientific evidence that many may claim compared to few doesn't make it fact..

You may get two conflicting conclusions but rarely will you get two totally opposing conclusions and if you do there are ways to verify information.

The example above about eggs etc. is one of many times that the general public has been told two totally different conclusions.

Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs. It's why more of the populations needs to be encouraged to learn the basics of science.

Huh? Conclusions don't alter evidence. It's the other way around.

I agree. The key is some scientists uses evidence to draw theories. Also, some scientists go as far and claim fact based on evidence. However, the problem is the ones that state the "fact" of GW doesn't have enough evidence to support their version of fact when there's other evidence that opposes their own view. If science that you are implying is so black and white, there wouldn't be such the debate on who's right and who's wrong.

the overwhelming majority - of the scientific community (especially in the specific fields devoted to studying this very issue) have a consensus that humanity has a significant impact on the global climate. That is not under debate.

Scientific concensus is an oxy-morron. And anyone that says different need to see a shrink. Scientists have been fighting over ideas since time began. Why should we believe this has changed just because a new issue is on the table?

A snippet from zerojunk's link. (good article).

She replied: "No, actually, there has been cooling, if you take 1998 as your point of reference. If you take 2002 as your point of reference, then temperatures have plateaued. This is certainly not what you'd expect if carbon dioxide is driving temperature because carbon dioxide levels have been increasing but temperatures have actually been coming down over the last 10 years..."

Marohasy: "Well, the head of the IPCC has suggested natural factors are compensating for the increasing carbon dioxide levels and I guess, to some extent, that's what sceptics have been saying for some time: that, yes, carbon dioxide will give you some warming but there are a whole lot of other factors that may compensate or that may augment the warming from elevated levels of carbon dioxide.

Just what I said on the first page, the earth is self healing. Look around you, there's proof everywhere. The only people who take exception to the obvious are the ones who would benefit by global regulation and control, i.e., the gubmint. Good dialogue going on but largely skirts the real issue.

But, that's the problem. It may not be "every month". But even within a few years, scientists claim the exact opposite from their very own statements.

The genesis of this whole matter is that scientists CONTRADICT THEMSELVES ON A CONSTANT BASIS.

And, you're right. There IS a process in research and it takes time. But scientists aren't following that logic. They and people like you jump out and claim it's a Scientific FACT. Which, it isn't.
No, claims are not "the exact opposite". For something to be researched thoroughly and then completely redacted a few years later is ridiculously rare. Scientists do not contradict themselves on a constant basis. They are often multiple groups doing the same research and coming to slightly different conclusions; more research is done and the conclusions are usually consolidated.

Just because you read an article says a study "suggested" something and then a year later read another article about another study that "suggested" something else does not mean anyone is passing these things off as laws. If you're seeing these kinds of contradictions it's a problem with your interpreting the press about them, not the science.
Upon having the possibility of contradiction, scientific evidence that many may claim compared to few doesn't make it fact..
No, but overwhelming evidence does make something as close to a fact as it can possibly be.
The example above about eggs etc. is one of many times that the general public has been told two totally different conclusions.
I suggest you look a little deeper into that because you're misinterpreting the things you've heard. You're reacting to a punchline to a joke, to something that's essentially a watered down urban myth.
I agree. The key is some scientists uses evidence to draw theories. Also, some scientists go as far and claim fact based on evidence. However, the problem is the ones that state the "fact" of GW doesn't have enough evidence to support their version of fact
Yes they most certainly do. How much of the science have you studied in order to draw that conclusion?
when there's other evidence that opposes their own view.
Just like there's evidence that opposes other conclusions which happen to be rock solid. There is evidence that opposes the law of gravity. There is evidence that opposes evolution. Yet both are scientific fact because the overwhelming evidence all points to the same conclusion and the opposing evidence is circumstantial at best. Just like climate change. We don't throw out solid theories with mountains of evidence just because there are a few holes in it. We continue studying and researching them until we know as much as is possible to know and then we study some more because there could still be more that we missed.
If science that you are implying is so black and white, there wouldn't be such the debate on who's right and who's wrong.
I've never said it was black and white but when the evidence is so overwhelming on one side it becomes pretty clear which side to trust.

Last edited:
Scientific concensus is an oxy-morron. And anyone that says different need to see a shrink. Scientists have been fighting over ideas since time began. Why should we believe this has changed just because a new issue is on the table?
Real science - research that actually follows the scientific method, that depends on empirical evidence and logical rigor - has only been around for a relatively short time in human history. And scientific consensus does not mean every single person involved agreeing to one thing.

Real science - research that actually follows the scientific method, that depends on empirical evidence and logical rigor - has only been around for a relatively short time in human history.
In other words, mankind is always limited to his abilities. Scientific observations are made and improved upon as technologies and learning increase. Only in this one area are we to believe that the consensus of opinion is ironclad for all time. Was Einstein right to change his formulas to reflect the consensus of the day of a steady state universe? He lived to acknowledge it as his single biggest blunder.
And scientific consensus does not mean every single person involved agreeing to one thing.
I think we all know what the word consensus means.

In other words, mankind is always limited to his abilities. Scientific observations are made and improved upon as technologies and learning increase. Only in this one area are we to believe that the consensus of opinion is ironclad for all time. Was Einstein right to change his formulas to reflect the consensus of the day of a steady state universe? He lived to acknowledge it as his single biggest blunder.
Uh, no one is suggesting that the opinion is ironclad. It is, however, overwhelmingly supported by the vast majority of the data available.
I think we all know what the word consensus means.
Apparently not if people are thinking that scientific consensus is impossible.

Nice side step. The evidence at the time was for a steady state universe, so Einstein changed his formula to fit in with the consensus. The consensus was wrong so it wasn't a fact.
IOW, a consensus isn't necessarily a fact, it's just the popular opinion of the moment. A consensus of opinion might turn out to be right but claiming that it is science isn't accurate, as in my above example.

I didn't side step anything. :confused: My point was that no one is stating that the current consensus on climate change is unyielding and ironclad. That's antithetical to the scientific method itself. What I am saying is that the current facts at our disposal - which is quite a lot - almost all point to the exact same conclusion. The majority of the people working on this issue have agreed that it's pointing to the same conclusion. It's supported by so much evidence that for it to be wrong would probably alter some of the basic framework of how we understand the planet itself.

That being said, theoretical physics is a fuzzy field. Comparing that with climatology is a bit silly. At least with climatology effects can be observed, measured, recorded, analyzed. The bulk of Einstein's work on the nature of the universe doesn't go much farther than a blackboard.

So yes, the current consensus on climate change is as much a scientific fact as anything in science can be considered a fact.

I remember quite well as a kid the scientific consensus suggesting that we were heading toward another ice age.

With the total stored fossil fuels in so many inaccessible places, it's unlikely that we could ever return a sufficient amount of carbon to the atmosphere to create the climate responsible for their initial storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back